SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

2019-2020 Playoff season format suggestions ?

20 mars 2020 à 21 h 2
Rejoint: nov. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 2,196
Looking at the standings I see no team has played over 72 games, with a couple teams only at 68 games played (ask teams to play same night double headers if needed), finish the regular season by getting each team to the 72 game mark, even if it means playing games at a neutral "safe" arena and split all profits equally (might have to do a pay per view TV deal if the games must be played with no fans). Than have the normal playoffs except have Rounds 1-3 all played as best of 5 games rule and have the Stanley Cup be best of 7 games.
20 mars 2020 à 23 h 27
Black Lives Matter
Rejoint: mars 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 4,649
Quoting: draft_em_sign_em_trade_em
Looking at the standings I see no team has played over 72 games, with a couple teams only at 68 games played (ask teams to play same night double headers if needed), finish the regular season by getting each team to the 72 game mark, even if it means playing games at a neutral "safe" arena and split all profits equally (might have to do a pay per view TV deal if the games must be played with no fans). Than have the normal playoffs except have Rounds 1-3 all played as best of 5 games rule and have the Stanley Cup be best of 7 games.

This is the first time i've seen someone suggest going to a certain number of games to finish the regular season, but i've always thought it was a good idea and i wasn't sure why it wasn't being suggested.
21 mars 2020 à 19 h 17
Emotionally in 2018
Rejoint: nov. 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 3,387
At this point, as much as I hate to say it, it makes the most sense to shut the season down completely and not crown a champion. I hate the thought of that, but the league doesn't want there to be any major affect on the 2020-21 season. The playoffs would have to begin no later than late April to fairly award the Stanley Cup and have it not drastically alter next season. If the league were to shorten the playoffs and not finish the regular season, I feel that there would always be the asterisk next to the Cup winner for 2020 and it wouldn't be the same. I also don't think the COVID-19 situation will have any sort of practical resolution in time for the league to resume.

But for fun, let's say the season does continue. I'd have each team get to 72 games, just so they've had a couple games to get their feet back under them. I still don't like that it will effectively eliminate a lot of the bubble teams that way, so here's a solution. The playoff bubbles for each conference has three spots up for grabs. I'd rank the teams 1-11 in the conference. The top 5 in each conference have their spot secured. Then in each conference, 6 plays 11 for a spot, 7 plays 10 and 8 plays 9. It's one game, with the higher seed being the host team. All of these games are played in one day, with games staggered at the half-hour to increase viewership during intermissions (a game at 1:00, 1:30, 4:00, 4:30, 7:00, 7:30). After those games, the conference is re-ranked 1-8 to accommodate the changes.

Now that we have 8 teams per conference, the matchups are based on conference seeding (1 plays 8, 2 plays 7, 3 plays 6, 4 plays 5). The first two rounds are a best of five, under the 2-2-1 format. The Conference Finals and Stanley Cup Finals are a 2-3-2 format instead of a 2-2-1-1-1 in order to reduce travel time and have faster series. Depending on when the league started back up, they could even do back-to-backs in the first round or two, but it's best to avoid that).

In terms of the offseason schedule, the draft would occur no more than a week after the end of the playoffs. The UFA period would open a short time afterward, and I imagine free agency would move fairly quickly as players will want to get situated into their new homes quickly. The biggest downfall to this is that it leaves a limited amount of time for teams to negotiate extensions with their own UFAs, especially ones acquired at the deadline. The 2020-21 season would start in mid-late October

I view this as the fairest way to award the Cup provided the season starts back up. Of course it's not an ideal situation but it would award the Stanley Cup, make up for a lot of the hockey related revenue the league is losing right now, make the fans incredibly happy, and would still proceed with the offseason in an almost normal manner, just sped up.
22 mars 2020 à 14 h 43
Démarrer sujet
Quoting: krakowitz
At this point, as much as I hate to say it, it makes the most sense to shut the season down completely and not crown a champion. I hate the thought of that, but the league doesn't want there to be any major affect on the 2020-21 season. The playoffs would have to begin no later than late April to fairly award the Stanley Cup and have it not drastically alter next season. If the league were to shorten the playoffs and not finish the regular season, I feel that there would always be the asterisk next to the Cup winner for 2020 and it wouldn't be the same. I also don't think the COVID-19 situation will have any sort of practical resolution in time for the league to resume.

But for fun, let's say the season does continue. I'd have each team get to 72 games, just so they've had a couple games to get their feet back under them. I still don't like that it will effectively eliminate a lot of the bubble teams that way, so here's a solution. The playoff bubbles for each conference has three spots up for grabs. I'd rank the teams 1-11 in the conference. The top 5 in each conference have their spot secured. Then in each conference, 6 plays 11 for a spot, 7 plays 10 and 8 plays 9. It's one game, with the higher seed being the host team. All of these games are played in one day, with games staggered at the half-hour to increase viewership during intermissions (a game at 1:00, 1:30, 4:00, 4:30, 7:00, 7:30). After those games, the conference is re-ranked 1-8 to accommodate the changes.

Now that we have 8 teams per conference, the matchups are based on conference seeding (1 plays 8, 2 plays 7, 3 plays 6, 4 plays 5). The first two rounds are a best of five, under the 2-2-1 format. The Conference Finals and Stanley Cup Finals are a 2-3-2 format instead of a 2-2-1-1-1 in order to reduce travel time and have faster series. Depending on when the league started back up, they could even do back-to-backs in the first round or two, but it's best to avoid that).

In terms of the offseason schedule, the draft would occur no more than a week after the end of the playoffs. The UFA period would open a short time afterward, and I imagine free agency would move fairly quickly as players will want to get situated into their new homes quickly. The biggest downfall to this is that it leaves a limited amount of time for teams to negotiate extensions with their own UFAs, especially ones acquired at the deadline. The 2020-21 season would start in mid-late October

I view this as the fairest way to award the Cup provided the season starts back up. Of course it's not an ideal situation but it would award the Stanley Cup, make up for a lot of the hockey related revenue the league is losing right now, make the fans incredibly happy, and would still proceed with the offseason in an almost normal manner, just sped up.

I like a lot of your suggestions here, but yes, as much as it pains me to say it, this season will be cancelled. If the NHL had only need to shut down for 2-3 weeks than the season would be saved. BUT....covid-19 will be shutting everything down for months, not weeks as hoped.
krakowitz a aimé ceci.
22 mars 2020 à 18 h 28
Black Lives Matter

I'm optimistic that the season will resume. Obviously it's super hard to predict, but the NHL really wants to award the Stanley cup, and even though the top priority is to play all 82 games next season it sounds like they're willing to delay it to November.
22 mars 2020 à 23 h 44
Emotionally in 2018
Quoting: rangersandislesfan
I'm optimistic that the season will resume. Obviously it's super hard to predict, but the NHL really wants to award the Stanley cup, and even though the top priority is to play all 82 games next season it sounds like they're willing to delay it to November.

Is there any evidence about the virus that makes you optimistic about it? If the league is going to finish the season, they'll have to start it by the beginning of May. Anything after won't leave enough time for a proper offseason. Even though the rest may not be needed for these guys at first, towards the end of 2020-21, we'd see the contending teams getting worn out from playing into July and not having a full offseason.
23 mars 2020 à 0 h 37
Black Lives Matter
Is there any evidence about the virus that makes you optimistic about it? If the league is going to finish the season, they'll have to start it by the beginning of May. Anything after won't leave enough time for a proper offseason. Even though the rest may not be needed for these guys at first, towards the end of 2020-21, we'd see the contending teams getting worn out from playing into July and not having a full offseason.

Well, the players suggested finishing the regular season in late July, August-September playoffs, draft/FA/etc in October and beginning 2020-21 in November ... even if that isn't enough rest, they can shorten the playoffs, finish the regular season, or whatever ... I really think the NHL will do whatever it can to award the Stanley cup this year without needing to shorten the season next season.
23 mars 2020 à 3 h 46
Emotionally in 2018
Well, the players suggested finishing the regular season in late July, August-September playoffs, draft/FA/etc in October and beginning 2020-21 in November ... even if that isn't enough rest, they can shorten the playoffs, finish the regular season, or whatever ... I really think the NHL will do whatever it can to award the Stanley cup this year without needing to shorten the season next season.

Just because the players suggested it doesn't mean that it will happen. The draft also can't happen in October, especially since most eligible prospects will have resumed play by that point. The injury risks of players playing essentially for basically 13 straight months with only one month off is going to be a nightmare.
23 mars 2020 à 10 h 32
Black Lives Matter
Just because the players suggested it doesn't mean that it will happen. The draft also can't happen in October, especially since most eligible prospects will have resumed play by that point. The injury risks of players playing essentially for basically 13 straight months with only one month off is going to be a nightmare.

Yeah, just saying it's a possibility (and the 2020-21 season might start late in junior leagues, too), and if they can do this starting a month early, then they have more time off ... also, they might have an extra half month if the season is delayed until mid-November. Then they remove the all-star weekend (which, in my opinion, is a total unorganized joke, anyway), remove the bye week, and give teams schedules that are a little bit busier, and if the season's done by the end of June, they can get back to normal scheduling for future seasons. And also, for the Stanley cup to be awarded, they don't need to play all 82 games and do 4 rounds of the playoffs with best-of-7 series ... if they have time, they will, but if they don't, they can look at other ways to finish the season. I'm not ruling out the possibility of the season being cancelled, I just think they can get creative here.
23 mars 2020 à 12 h 15
Démarrer sujet
Modifié 23 mars 2020 à 12 h 48
Yeah, just saying it's a possibility (and the 2020-21 season might start late in junior leagues, too), and if they can do this starting a month early, then they have more time off ... also, they might have an extra half month if the season is delayed until mid-November. Then they remove the all-star weekend (which, in my opinion, is a total unorganized joke, anyway), remove the bye week, and give teams schedules that are a little bit busier, and if the season's done by the end of June, they can get back to normal scheduling for future seasons. And also, for the Stanley cup to be awarded, they don't need to play all 82 games and do 4 rounds of the playoffs with best-of-7 series ... if they have time, they will, but if they don't, they can look at other ways to finish the season. I'm not ruling out the possibility of the season being cancelled, I just think they can get creative here.

Looking at the Standings this is what I'd do;

In the East no contender has played more than 70 games, but Flo, Pit, Phi, Was all have played 69 games and Car and NYI have played 68 games. You have Was V. Phi (to decide who wins the Division) and you have NYI V. Car play a double header to decide the Wild Card spot. I guess Pit V. Flo would be pointless to the Standings. Clb only makes the playoffs if the NYI lose both games.

In the West no contender has played more than 71 games; Dal, Nas, Min, Van all have played 69 games and Col and Cal have played 70 games. You have Col V. Cal (if Col wins they can leapfrog STL) for 1 game and have Min, Van and Nash all play against each other (Min V. Van, Min V. Nash, Van V. Nash) to decide the Final Standings. Pointless to force Dal to play a game, their spot will not change. Winnipeg and Cal, both holding onto playoff spots right now but both can fail to make the playoffs.

Have no travel and play the games at neutral arenas so the Playoff games can be played every night if needed.

Your Welcome Gary Bettman for doing your job.
23 mars 2020 à 13 h 38
Emotionally in 2018
Looking at the Standings this is what I'd do;

In the East no contender has played more than 70 games, but Flo, Pit, Phi, Was all have played 69 games and Car and NYI have played 68 games. You have Was V. Phi (to decide who wins the Division) and you have NYI V. Car play a double header to decide the Wild Card spot. I guess Pit V. Flo would be pointless to the Standings. Clb only makes the playoffs if the NYI lose both games.

In the West no contender has played more than 71 games; Dal, Nas, Min, Van all have played 69 games and Col and Cal have played 70 games. You have Col V. Cal (if Col wins they can leapfrog STL) for 1 game and have Min, Van and Nash all play against each other (Min V. Van, Min V. Nash, Van V. Nash) to decide the Final Standings. Pointless to force Dal to play a game, their spot will not change. Winnipeg and Cal, both holding onto playoff spots right now but both can fail to make the playoffs.

Have no travel and play the games at neutral arenas so the Playoff games can be played every night if needed.

Your Welcome Gary Bettman for doing your job.

There's no way the league can do all neutral site playoff games. You mean to tell me that diehard fans of the teams that bought playoff ticket packages in December can't go? It also completely eliminates the regular season in gaining home ice advantage. This is not a fair way to award the trophy
23 mars 2020 à 13 h 47
Démarrer sujet
There's no way the league can do all neutral site playoff games. You mean to tell me that diehard fans of the teams that bought playoff ticket packages in December can't go? It also completely eliminates the regular season in gaining home ice advantage. This is not a fair way to award the trophy

No fans at the arena is a very likely, safety comes first. This is 100% fair, I can't understand any argument stating otherwise, other than money, which the NHL can equally divide to all 31 teams. Pay per view Playoffs, season ticket holders get the PPV for free.
23 mars 2020 à 13 h 58
Emotionally in 2018
No fans at the arena is a very likely, safety comes first. This is 100% fair, I can't understand any argument stating otherwise, other than money, which the NHL can equally divide to all 31 teams. Pay per view Playoffs, season ticket holders get the PPV for free.

"I can't understand any argument stating otherwise". What's the point of having the discussion if you aren't open to what other people have to say? Just looking for praise on your own idea?
23 mars 2020 à 14 h 44
Démarrer sujet
"I can't understand any argument stating otherwise". What's the point of having the discussion if you aren't open to what other people have to say? Just looking for praise on your own idea?

Was there ever any valid points in your statements to consider as a discussion ?
23 mars 2020 à 15 h 32
Black Lives Matter
Let's say a short training camp begins July 3rd ... season starts July 7th. Regular season could be continued:

(This is just me coming up with ideas based on the players' suggestion ... it all depends where COVID-19 is by early July. I also understand that it may be hard to make the schedule work with NHL and NBA teams sharing arenas, but it's just a basic idea)

July 7:
Chicago @ Washington
Nashville @ Toronto
Pittsburgh @ Columbus
NY Rangers @ Tampa Bay
Carolina @ New Jersey
Boston @ Buffalo
NY Islanders @ Philadelphia
Ottawa @ St. Louis
Florida @ Dallas
Vegas @ Minnesota
Vancouver @ Colorado
Edmonton @ Calgary
San Jose @ Los Angeles

July 8:
New Jersey @ Florida
Toronto @ Boston
Pittsburgh @ Carolina
Nashville @ Columbus
Detroit @ Tampa Bay
Minnesota @ Philadelphia
Washington @ Buffalo
San Jose @ Dallas
Winnipeg @ Calgary
NY Islanders @ Edmonton
Vegas @ Colorado
Vancouver @ Arizona
Montreal @ Los Angeles

July 9:
Montreal @ Anaheim
NY Rangers @ Arizona

July 10:
Toronto @ Ottawa
New Jersey @ Tampa Bay
Buffalo @ Carolina
Washington @ Columbus
Edmonton @ Philadelphia
Chicago @ NY Islanders
Florida @ Detroit
Nashville @ Minnesota
Los Angeles @ St. Louis
Winnipeg @ Dallas
San Jose @ Colorado
Boston @ Anaheim
Vancouver @ Vegas

July 11:
Buffalo @ Florida
Columbus @ Toronto
Carolina @ Pittsburgh
Calgary @ NY Rangers
NY Islanders @ New Jersey
Minnesota @ Winnipeg
Colorado @ Nashville
Dallas @ Arizona
Boston @ Los Angeles
Montreal @ San Jose

July 12:
NY Rangers @ Pittsburgh
St. Louis @ Philadelphia
Ottawa @ Chicago
Tampa Bay @ Edmonton
Vancouver @ Anaheim
Vegas @ Arizona

July 13:
Toronto @ Washington
Chicago @ Buffalo
Ottawa @ Carolina
Calgary @ NY Islanders
Columbus @ New Jersey
Philadelphia @ Dallas
Minnesota @ St. Louis
Florida @ Winnipeg
Anaheim @ Edmonton
Montreal @ Colorado
Vancouver @ Los Angeles
Detroit @ Vegas
Boston @ San Jose

July 14:
Toronto @ Tampa Bay
Carolina @ NY Islanders
Washington @ Pittsburgh
Calgary @ New Jersey
Montreal @ Nashville
Detroit @ Arizona

July 15:
NY Rangers @ Buffalo
Columbus @ Tampa Bay
St. Louis @ Florida
Colorado @ Minnesota
Philadelphia @ Nashville
Dallas @ Chicago
San Jose @ Edmonton
Winnipeg @ Vancouver

July 16:
Pittsburgh @ Ottawa
Detroit @ Boston
NY Islanders @ Columbus
Chicago @ NY Rangers
St. Louis @ Carolina
Washington @ Florida
Buffalo @ Montreal
New Jersey @ Minnesota
Anaheim @ Calgary
Arizona @ Los Angeles
Dallas @ San Jose

July 17:
New Jersey @ Pittsburgh
Toronto @ Carolina
Ottawa @ Washington
Philadelphia @ Detroit
Winnipeg @ Nashville
NY Islanders @ Calgary
Colorado @ Edmonton
Anaheim @ Vancouver

July 18:
Florida @ Toronto
Philadelphia @ NY Rangers
Buffalo @ Montreal
Colorado @ Winnipeg
Chicago @ Minnesota
Los Angeles @ Dallas
Nashville @ Arizona
San Jose @ Vancouver

July 19:
Ottawa @ Tampa Bay
St. Louis @ Washington
Buffalo @ NY Islanders
Columbus @ NY Rangers
Florida @ Boston
Pittsburgh @ Carolina
San Jose @ Calgary
Arizona @ Vegas
Dallas @ Anaheim

July 20:
NY Islanders @ Toronto
Columbus @ Boston
Carolina @ New Jersey
Nashville @ Philadelphia
Washington @ Detroit
Anaheim @ Edmonton
Winnipeg @ Colorado

July 21:
Philadelphia @ Tampa Bay
Pittsburgh @ NY Rangers
Florida @ Montreal
Nashville @ Chicago
Buffalo @ Minnesota
Vegas @ Edmonton
Calgary @ Vancouver
Arizona @ San Jose
Dallas @ Los Angeles

July 22:
Carolina @ Buffalo
Florida @ Ottawa
New Jersey @ NY Islanders
Detroit @ St. Louis
Pittsburgh @ Chicago
Columbus @ Dallas
Arizona @ Colorado
Los Angeles @ Anaheim

July 23:
Tampa Bay @ Detroit
New Jersey @ Toronto
NY Rangers @ Washington
NY Islanders @ Montreal
Boston @ Carolina
Minnesota @ Nashville
Winnipeg @ Calgary
Vegas @ Vancouver

July 24:
Minnesota @ Washington
Pittsburgh @ Philadelphia
Edmonton @ Ottawa
Los Angeles @ Chicago
Boston @ St. Louis
Nashville @ Colorado
Tampa Bay @ Calgary
Vancouver @ Arizona
Dallas @ Vegas

July 25:
NY Islanders @ Pittsburgh
Montreal @ Toronto
Philadelphia @ Buffalo
Florida @ NY Rangers
Columbus @ Carolina
Winnipeg @ Arizona
Anaheim @ San Jose

July 26:
Carolina @ Boston
Buffalo @ New Jersey
Detroit @ Toronto
Edmonton @ Washington
Minnesota @ NY Islanders
Ottawa @ Florida
Montreal @ Chicago
Los Angeles @ Nashville
Vegas @ Winnipeg
St. Louis @ Colorado
Tampa Bay @ Vancouver

July 27:
Ottawa @ Boston
NY Rangers @ Pittsburgh
Philadelphia @ New Jersey
Detroit @ Washington
Tampa Bay @ Columbus
Minnesota @ Chicago
Vancouver @ Dallas
San Jose @ St. Louis
Vegas @ Calgary
Anaheim @ Los Angeles

(Yes, i did all that ... I have nothing else to do with my time, though, lol)

I made sure I didn't have one team playing 3 days in a row ... I also know some of the travel would be kind of weird (with teams playing in one city one day and then the next day in a city on the other side of the continent), but it could still be done. It would be possible (at least if the NBA isn't playing games in July).

Let me know if there are any mistakes in the schedule.

Thoughts?

(Playoff schedule idea to come ...)
23 mars 2020 à 17 h 6
Emotionally in 2018
Was there ever any valid points in your statements to consider as a discussion ?

Yes, there were. Taking home ice advantage from the higher seed is a huge disadvantage and I don't see it as a fair way to award the trophy. Teams play all year to try and get home-ice advantage, and now teams like Boston and St. Louis don't get home ice against the bubble teams that barely snuck into the playoffs?

The league needs an influx of HHR after the shutdown, and having neutral site games with no fans available for PPV doesn't do a whole lot for them. The league would make more money televising games as they normally do in the playoffs than having each individual game available for PPV. Most fans are only going to buy their teams games, and that is going to get really expensive for them. How are the fans going to react to having the season shut down and then all of a sudden having to pay every time they want to watch? It will be a PR nightmare for the league. People will be crowding bars and watch parties for the games, where the league would make significantly more money from having the games on NBC/NBCSN and getting national commercials.
23 mars 2020 à 17 h 23
Démarrer sujet
Yes, there were. Taking home ice advantage from the higher seed is a huge disadvantage and I don't see it as a fair way to award the trophy. Teams play all year to try and get home-ice advantage, and now teams like Boston and St. Louis don't get home ice against the bubble teams that barely snuck into the playoffs?

The league needs an influx of HHR after the shutdown, and having neutral site games with no fans available for PPV doesn't do a whole lot for them. The league would make more money televising games as they normally do in the playoffs than having each individual game available for PPV. Most fans are only going to buy their teams games, and that is going to get really expensive for them. How are the fans going to react to having the season shut down and then all of a sudden having to pay every time they want to watch? It will be a PR nightmare for the league. People will be crowding bars and watch parties for the games, where the league would make significantly more money from having the games on NBC/NBCSN and getting national commercials.

Home ice advantage during game play is merely a myth these days, home ice advantage is more about the extra home gate sales than extra boost to the players. I guess PPV would be a nightmare but after a long lay-off and with NBA competition I doubt the U.S, TV money would be a great more money earned than PPV, doesn't need to be single game PPV, they can offer Game series packages and or Round packages. The NHL network would hate it more than NBC or TSN or CBC.
23 mars 2020 à 19 h 40
Black Lives Matter

There can still be a "Home" team who gets the last line change and other advantages. The home crowd only makes a big difference for a few of the teams IMO (Carolina, Vegas, NYI, etc).
23 mars 2020 à 20 h 5
Black Lives Matter
Let's say a short training camp begins July 3rd ... season starts July 7th. Regular season could be continued:

(This is just me coming up with ideas based on the players' suggestion ... it all depends where COVID-19 is by early July. I also understand that it may be hard to make the schedule work with NHL and NBA teams sharing arenas, but it's just a basic idea)

July 7:
Chicago @ Washington
Nashville @ Toronto
Pittsburgh @ Columbus
NY Rangers @ Tampa Bay
Carolina @ New Jersey
Boston @ Buffalo
NY Islanders @ Philadelphia
Ottawa @ St. Louis
Florida @ Dallas
Vegas @ Minnesota
Vancouver @ Colorado
Edmonton @ Calgary
San Jose @ Los Angeles

July 8:
New Jersey @ Florida
Toronto @ Boston
Pittsburgh @ Carolina
Nashville @ Columbus
Detroit @ Tampa Bay
Minnesota @ Philadelphia
Washington @ Buffalo
San Jose @ Dallas
Winnipeg @ Calgary
NY Islanders @ Edmonton
Vegas @ Colorado
Vancouver @ Arizona
Montreal @ Los Angeles

July 9:
Montreal @ Anaheim
NY Rangers @ Arizona

July 10:
Toronto @ Ottawa
New Jersey @ Tampa Bay
Buffalo @ Carolina
Washington @ Columbus
Edmonton @ Philadelphia
Chicago @ NY Islanders
Florida @ Detroit
Nashville @ Minnesota
Los Angeles @ St. Louis
Winnipeg @ Dallas
San Jose @ Colorado
Boston @ Anaheim
Vancouver @ Vegas

July 11:
Buffalo @ Florida
Columbus @ Toronto
Carolina @ Pittsburgh
Calgary @ NY Rangers
NY Islanders @ New Jersey
Minnesota @ Winnipeg
Colorado @ Nashville
Dallas @ Arizona
Boston @ Los Angeles
Montreal @ San Jose

July 12:
NY Rangers @ Pittsburgh
St. Louis @ Philadelphia
Ottawa @ Chicago
Tampa Bay @ Edmonton
Vancouver @ Anaheim
Vegas @ Arizona

July 13:
Toronto @ Washington
Chicago @ Buffalo
Ottawa @ Carolina
Calgary @ NY Islanders
Columbus @ New Jersey
Philadelphia @ Dallas
Minnesota @ St. Louis
Florida @ Winnipeg
Anaheim @ Edmonton
Montreal @ Colorado
Vancouver @ Los Angeles
Detroit @ Vegas
Boston @ San Jose

July 14:
Toronto @ Tampa Bay
Carolina @ NY Islanders
Washington @ Pittsburgh
Calgary @ New Jersey
Montreal @ Nashville
Detroit @ Arizona

July 15:
NY Rangers @ Buffalo
Columbus @ Tampa Bay
St. Louis @ Florida
Colorado @ Minnesota
Philadelphia @ Nashville
Dallas @ Chicago
San Jose @ Edmonton
Winnipeg @ Vancouver

July 16:
Pittsburgh @ Ottawa
Detroit @ Boston
NY Islanders @ Columbus
Chicago @ NY Rangers
St. Louis @ Carolina
Washington @ Florida
Buffalo @ Montreal
New Jersey @ Minnesota
Anaheim @ Calgary
Arizona @ Los Angeles
Dallas @ San Jose

July 17:
New Jersey @ Pittsburgh
Toronto @ Carolina
Ottawa @ Washington
Philadelphia @ Detroit
Winnipeg @ Nashville
NY Islanders @ Calgary
Colorado @ Edmonton
Anaheim @ Vancouver

July 18:
Florida @ Toronto
Philadelphia @ NY Rangers
Buffalo @ Montreal
Colorado @ Winnipeg
Chicago @ Minnesota
Los Angeles @ Dallas
Nashville @ Arizona
San Jose @ Vancouver

July 19:
Ottawa @ Tampa Bay
St. Louis @ Washington
Buffalo @ NY Islanders
Columbus @ NY Rangers
Florida @ Boston
Pittsburgh @ Carolina
San Jose @ Calgary
Arizona @ Vegas
Dallas @ Anaheim

July 20:
NY Islanders @ Toronto
Columbus @ Boston
Carolina @ New Jersey
Nashville @ Philadelphia
Washington @ Detroit
Anaheim @ Edmonton
Winnipeg @ Colorado

July 21:
Philadelphia @ Tampa Bay
Pittsburgh @ NY Rangers
Florida @ Montreal
Nashville @ Chicago
Buffalo @ Minnesota
Vegas @ Edmonton
Calgary @ Vancouver
Arizona @ San Jose
Dallas @ Los Angeles

July 22:
Carolina @ Buffalo
Florida @ Ottawa
New Jersey @ NY Islanders
Detroit @ St. Louis
Pittsburgh @ Chicago
Columbus @ Dallas
Arizona @ Colorado
Los Angeles @ Anaheim

July 23:
Tampa Bay @ Detroit
New Jersey @ Toronto
NY Rangers @ Washington
NY Islanders @ Montreal
Boston @ Carolina
Minnesota @ Nashville
Winnipeg @ Calgary
Vegas @ Vancouver

July 24:
Minnesota @ Washington
Pittsburgh @ Philadelphia
Edmonton @ Ottawa
Los Angeles @ Chicago
Boston @ St. Louis
Nashville @ Colorado
Tampa Bay @ Calgary
Vancouver @ Arizona
Dallas @ Vegas

July 25:
NY Islanders @ Pittsburgh
Montreal @ Toronto
Philadelphia @ Buffalo
Florida @ NY Rangers
Columbus @ Carolina
Winnipeg @ Arizona
Anaheim @ San Jose

July 26:
Carolina @ Boston
Buffalo @ New Jersey
Detroit @ Toronto
Edmonton @ Washington
Minnesota @ NY Islanders
Ottawa @ Florida
Montreal @ Chicago
Los Angeles @ Nashville
Vegas @ Winnipeg
St. Louis @ Colorado
Tampa Bay @ Vancouver

July 27:
Ottawa @ Boston
NY Rangers @ Pittsburgh
Philadelphia @ New Jersey
Detroit @ Washington
Tampa Bay @ Columbus
Minnesota @ Chicago
Vancouver @ Dallas
San Jose @ St. Louis
Vegas @ Calgary
Anaheim @ Los Angeles

(Yes, i did all that ... I have nothing else to do with my time, though, lol)

I made sure I didn't have one team playing 3 days in a row ... I also know some of the travel would be kind of weird (with teams playing in one city one day and then the next day in a city on the other side of the continent), but it could still be done. It would be possible (at least if the NBA isn't playing games in July).

Let me know if there are any mistakes in the schedule.

Thoughts?

(Playoff schedule idea to come ...)

Let's say the playoffs begin on July 30:

July 30:
WC @ A1 - GM1
A3 @ A2 - GM1
M3 @ M2 - GM1
WC @ P1 - GM1

July 31:
WC @ M1 - GM1
WC @ C1 - GM1
C3 @ C2 - GM1
P3 @ P2 - GM1

August 1:
WC @ A1 - GM2
A3 @ A2 - GM2
M3 @ M2 - GM2
WC @ P1 - GM2

August 2:
WC @ M1 - GM2
WC @ C1 - GM2
C3 @ C2 - GM2
P3 @ P2 - GM2

August 3:
A1 @ WC - GM3
A2 @ A3 - GM3
M2 @ M3 - GM3
P1 @ WC - GM3

August 4:
M1 @ WC - GM3
C2 @ C3 - GM3
C1 @ WC - GM3
P2 @ P3 - GM3

August 5:
A1 @ WC - GM4
A2 @ A3 - GM4
M2 @ M3 - GM4
P1 @ WC - GM4

August 6:
M1 @ WC - GM4
C2 @ C3 - GM4
C1 @ WC - GM4
P2 @ P3 - GM4

August 7:
WC @ A1 - GM5*
A3 @ A2 - GM5*
M3 @ M2 - GM5*
WC @ P1 - GM5*

August 8:
WC @ M1 - GM5*
WC @ C1 - GM5*
C3 @ C2 - GM5*
P3 @ P2 - GM5*

August 9:
A1 @ WC - GM6*
A2 @ A3 - GM6*
M2 @ M3 - GM6*
P1 @ WC - GM6*

August 10:
M1 @ WC - GM6*
C2 @ C3 - GM6*
C1 @ WC - GM6*
P2 @ P3 - GM6*

August 11:
WC @ A1 - GM7*
A3 @ A2 - GM7*
M3 @ M2 - GM7*
WC @ P1 - GM7*

August 12:
WC @ M1 - GM7*
WC @ C1 - GM7*
C3 @ C2 - GM7*
P3 @ P2 - GM7*

Gtg right now ... i'll do a potential round 2 schedule later.

Thoughts?
23 mars 2020 à 20 h 43
Emotionally in 2018
There can still be a "Home" team who gets the last line change and other advantages. The home crowd only makes a big difference for a few of the teams IMO (Carolina, Vegas, NYI, etc).

The fans still mean a lot to the players. We hear all the time about a "playoff atmosphere", and there is absolutely none of that without the fans.
rangersandislesfan a aimé ceci.
23 mars 2020 à 20 h 51
Black Lives Matter
The fans still mean a lot to the players. We hear all the time about a "playoff atmosphere", and there is absolutely none of that without the fans.

I agree, but there are still advantages to being the "home" team if you're in an empty arena.
23 mars 2020 à 21 h 5
Démarrer sujet

Tell that to Ottawa, when they took the Pens to Game 7 of the Eastern Conference Finals, not one of their playoff games were a sell out.
23 mars 2020 à 21 h 7
Black Lives Matter
Let's say the playoffs begin on July 30:

July 30:
WC @ A1 - GM1
A3 @ A2 - GM1
M3 @ M2 - GM1
WC @ P1 - GM1

July 31:
WC @ M1 - GM1
WC @ C1 - GM1
C3 @ C2 - GM1
P3 @ P2 - GM1

August 1:
WC @ A1 - GM2
A3 @ A2 - GM2
M3 @ M2 - GM2
WC @ P1 - GM2

August 2:
WC @ M1 - GM2
WC @ C1 - GM2
C3 @ C2 - GM2
P3 @ P2 - GM2

August 3:
A1 @ WC - GM3
A2 @ A3 - GM3
M2 @ M3 - GM3
P1 @ WC - GM3

August 4:
M1 @ WC - GM3
C2 @ C3 - GM3
C1 @ WC - GM3
P2 @ P3 - GM3

August 5:
A1 @ WC - GM4
A2 @ A3 - GM4
M2 @ M3 - GM4
P1 @ WC - GM4

August 6:
M1 @ WC - GM4
C2 @ C3 - GM4
C1 @ WC - GM4
P2 @ P3 - GM4

August 7:
WC @ A1 - GM5*
A3 @ A2 - GM5*
M3 @ M2 - GM5*
WC @ P1 - GM5*

August 8:
WC @ M1 - GM5*
WC @ C1 - GM5*
C3 @ C2 - GM5*
P3 @ P2 - GM5*

August 9:
A1 @ WC - GM6*
A2 @ A3 - GM6*
M2 @ M3 - GM6*
P1 @ WC - GM6*

August 10:
M1 @ WC - GM6*
C2 @ C3 - GM6*
C1 @ WC - GM6*
P2 @ P3 - GM6*

August 11:
WC @ A1 - GM7*
A3 @ A2 - GM7*
M3 @ M2 - GM7*
WC @ P1 - GM7*

August 12:
WC @ M1 - GM7*
WC @ C1 - GM7*
C3 @ C2 - GM7*
P3 @ P2 - GM7*

Gtg right now ... i'll do a potential round 2 schedule later.

Thoughts?

August 13:
Atlantic (Winner of A1/WC vs. Winner of A2/A3 - GM1

August 14:
Metropolitan (Winner of M1/WC vs. Winner of M2/M3) - GM1
Pacific (Winner of P1/WC vs. Winner of P2/P3) - GM1

August 15:
Atlantic - GM2
Central (Winner of C1/WC vs. C2/C3) - GM1

August 16:
Metropolitan - GM2
Pacific - GM2

August 17:
Atlantic - GM3
Central - GM2

August 18:
Pacific - GM3

August 19:
Metropolitan - GM3
Central - GM3

August 20:
Atlantic - GM4
Pacific - GM4

August 21:
Metropolitan - GM4
Central - GM4

August 22:
Atlantic - GM5*
Pacific - GM5*

August 23:
Metropolitan - GM5*
Central - GM5*

August 24:
Atlantic - GM6*
Pacific - GM6*

August 25:
Metropolitan - GM6*
Central - GM6*

August 26:
Atlantic - GM7*

August 27:
Metropolitan - GM7*
Central - GM7*
Pacific - GM7*

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Round 3:

August 29:
ECF - GM1

August 30:
WCF - GM1

August 31:
ECF - GM2

September 1:
WCF - GM2

September 2:
ECF - GM3

September 3:
WCF - GM3

September 4:
ECF - GM4

September 5:
WCF - GM4

September 6:
ECF - GM5*

September 7:
WCF - GM5*

September 8:
ECF - GM6*

September 9:
WCF - GM6*

September 10:
ECF - GM7*

September 11:
WCF - GM7*

I'll do the final after ... I gtg right now.
23 mars 2020 à 21 h 11
Démarrer sujet
August 13:
Atlantic (Winner of A1/WC vs. Winner of A2/A3 - GM1

August 14:
Metropolitan (Winner of M1/WC vs. Winner of M2/M3) - GM1
Pacific (Winner of P1/WC vs. Winner of P2/P3) - GM1

August 15:
Atlantic - GM2
Central (Winner of C1/WC vs. C2/C3) - GM1

August 16:
Metropolitan - GM2
Pacific - GM2

August 17:
Atlantic - GM3
Central - GM2

August 18:
Pacific - GM3

August 19:
Metropolitan - GM3
Central - GM3

August 20:
Atlantic - GM4
Pacific - GM4

August 21:
Metropolitan - GM4
Central - GM4

August 22:
Atlantic - GM5*
Pacific - GM5*

August 23:
Metropolitan - GM5*
Central - GM5*

August 24:
Atlantic - GM6*
Pacific - GM6*

August 25:
Metropolitan - GM6*
Central - GM6*

August 26:
Atlantic - GM7*

August 27:
Metropolitan - GM7*
Central - GM7*
Pacific - GM7*

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Round 3:

August 29:
ECF - GM1

August 30:
WCF - GM1

August 31:
ECF - GM2

September 1:
WCF - GM2

September 2:
ECF - GM3

September 3:
WCF - GM3

September 4:
ECF - GM4

September 5:
WCF - GM4

September 6:
ECF - GM5*

September 7:
WCF - GM5*

September 8:
ECF - GM6*

September 9:
WCF - GM6*

September 10:
ECF - GM7*

September 11:
WCF - GM7*

I'll do the final after ... I gtg right now.

Just cut the season to 72 Games played and shave a month off your schedule. And don't quote me that the season would need an asterisk beside it, 70 game season were the normal for a couple decades before the WHA merge.
23 mars 2020 à 21 h 21
Emotionally in 2018
Just cut the season to 72 Games played and shave a month off your schedule. And don't quote me that the season would need an asterisk beside it, 70 game season were the normal for a couple decades before the WHA merge.

Jesus dude, be open to what other people have to say. It's like you just hop on here looking for praise on your own ideas and bash on anyone else's. Being open minded is okay, ya know
rangersandislesfan a aimé ceci.

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Ajouter une option
Soumettre le sondage