SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

What Is Wrong With Mitch Marner

26 févr. 2020 à 9 h 48
Banni
Rejoint: sept. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 1,636
Mitch Marner continues to disappoint after another brutal performance vs the Lightning. It just looks like he’s playing with no confidence, he looks lost out on the ice. Constantly out of position and giving up on the play. He’s not having much success offensively either as he keeps overplaying the puck trying to dangle, he whiffs on shots and passes, he squanders scoring chances, turns pucks over and trips over his own feet. The only way he is getting points is either on the powerplay or on empty net goals. This is not the same player from last season. He’s nowhere near as sharp and smooth. Honestly he reminds me of the Penguins’ Conor Sheary from the 2017/18 season after he signed that big contract and stunk in all aspects of his game. One thing is for sure though: if the Leafs want to make the playoffs and go for a deep run, Mitch Marner has to play a lot better than this. What’s it gonna take to regain his form?
Trickster, NR1203, oneX and 2 others a aimé ceci.
26 févr. 2020 à 10 h 2
Démarrer sujet
Banni
26 févr. 2020 à 10 h 33
torontos finest
Rejoint: juill. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 11,169
no idea but over-analyzing his every move probably isn't helping.
Trickster et Sign_em_up000000 a aimé ceci.
26 févr. 2020 à 11 h 38
Rejoint: juin 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 2,584
I just chalk it up to the ebbs and flows that players experience during the course of a season and their careers. Maybe put him back with John to see if it lights a fire underneath him? Also, he's probably over-analyzing everything he's doing because of how the team has performed and the constant pressure these guys are under. I'm sure he'll find a way to get out of his own head at some point but for now, I think he just needs to go through the process and when he gets back to being the player we all know he can be he will have learned a valuable lesson or at least that's the hope. That's just my take on it tho.
Trickster a aimé ceci.
26 févr. 2020 à 12 h 55
Formerly Jamiepo
Rejoint: juill. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 10,700
62 points in 53 games. I have no issues.
Trickster, TMLSage, oneX and 1 other person a aimé ceci.
26 févr. 2020 à 13 h 36
hey look a squirrel
Rejoint: mai 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 3,744
I think he is under performing a but like @jamiepo said, 62 points in games.

Let him continue to grow and learn IMO.
oneX et Sign_em_up000000 a aimé ceci.
26 févr. 2020 à 15 h 14
GM - Canucks
Rejoint: déc. 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 1,218
Marner is a franchise player for the Leafs and plays 5x5, PP and PK and is an assistant captain on the team. As far as I know, he was on a 100 point pace if he was not injured so not sure why you are so concerned.

He is playing fine and still very productive. A couple of little things that could be going on are as follows:

1. He is adjusting to playing with Austin Matthews from John Tavares as his centre which is changing his game a little.
2. He is nolonger quarterbacking the team's powerplay from the right point which is now being done by Tyson Barrie.
3. He is trying to play more defensively responsible as he is now a an assistant captain and part of Leafs leadership team.
Trickster a aimé ceci.
26 févr. 2020 à 15 h 23
RangerWall92
Rejoint: nov. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 989
I'm not concerned at all about Marner. I get sometimes he can be a bit inconsistent, but his point production hasn't come unnoticed. His role on the team has changed in a lot of ways. He's playing with Matthews instead of Tavares, he's an alternate captain, and he's no longer powerplay QB anymore with Barrie
26 févr. 2020 à 17 h 29
Rejoint: mars 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 2,601
Quoting: Jamiepo

Mostly this although he doesn't look as dominant as he looked ladt last season.

Overall he and the rest of the forwards need to improve on the mental side of the game so the D isn't hung out to dry on the plays we've seen this season.
Trickster, TMLSage, Sign_em_up000000 and 1 other person a aimé ceci.
26 févr. 2020 à 19 h 14
Démarrer sujet
Banni
Quoting: mondo

Quoting: Sign_em_up000000
I just chalk it up to the ebbs and flows that players experience during the course of a season and their careers. Maybe put him back with John to see if it lights a fire underneath him? Also, he's probably over-analyzing everything he's doing because of how the team has performed and the constant pressure these guys are under. I'm sure he'll find a way to get out of his own head at some point but for now, I think he just needs to go through the process and when he gets back to being the player we all know he can be he will have learned a valuable lesson or at least that's the hope. That's just my take on it tho.

Yes I think we all know Mitch Marner has great puck control & stickhandling, therefore, he is capable of undressing opposing players but he tries to do that pretty much every time he touches the puck even when the opportunity isn’t there. He’s always looking to make the most perfect & fancy play. When he’s going through a funk & nothing’s going his way, he’s gotta make some adjustments. Play a more simple game, just focus on getting the puck in deep & start forechecking. When things start working again, start taking chances. He just keeps trying his moves over & over & it’s killing his effectiveness.
Sign_em_up000000 a aimé ceci.
26 févr. 2020 à 19 h 18
Démarrer sujet
Banni

Quoting: Trickster

Quoting: TMLSage
Marner is a franchise player for the Leafs and plays 5x5, PP and PK and is an assistant captain on the team. As far as I know, he was on a 100 point pace if he was not injured so not sure why you are so concerned.

He is playing fine and still very productive. A couple of little things that could be going on are as follows:

1. He is adjusting to playing with Austin Matthews from John Tavares as his centre which is changing his game a little.
2. He is nolonger quarterbacking the team's powerplay from the right point which is now being done by Tyson Barrie.
3. He is trying to play more defensively responsible as he is now a an assistant captain and part of Leafs leadership team.

Quoting: RangerWall92
I'm not concerned at all about Marner. I get sometimes he can be a bit inconsistent, but his point production hasn't come unnoticed. His role on the team has changed in a lot of ways. He's playing with Matthews instead of Tavares, he's an alternate captain, and he's no longer powerplay QB anymore with Barrie

Quoting: oneX

Overall he and the rest of the forwards need to improve on the mental side of the game so the D isn't hung out to dry on the plays we've seen this season.

Yes it’s true that Marner’s still putting up points plus had to change his game a little for the current way that he’s deployed in the lineup but he just doesn’t look as sharp & tenacious compared to last season. A lot of times when he doesn’t have the puck he just looks lost. When he does have it he seems to want to make a pretty play. I feel that signing that big 10.9 million dollar deal in the off-season killed his confidence. He knew he wasn’t worth that money but his dad made him take it.
Trickster, oneX et Sign_em_up000000 a aimé ceci.
27 févr. 2020 à 11 h 0
Rejoint: janv. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 1,275
Marner is still putting up points because that is what Marner does. He creates and he gets a lot of assists. I have no issues with Marner continuing to do that because that is what he is really, really good at. He just should not be paid 10.9 million dollars a year to do it. He is overpaid by at least two million dollars a year IMO. Possibly more.

Great player and we are lucky to have him. He is just overpaid and that limits our options moving forward.
27 févr. 2020 à 15 h 45
Démarrer sujet
Banni
Quoting: Trevorchef
Marner is still putting up points because that is what Marner does. He creates and he gets a lot of assists. I have no issues with Marner continuing to do that because that is what he is really, really good at. He just should not be paid 10.9 million dollars a year to do it. He is overpaid by at least two million dollars a year IMO. Possibly more.

Great player and we are lucky to have him. He is just overpaid and that limits our options moving forward.

Yeah I agree Marner got grossly overpaid.
27 févr. 2020 à 19 h 40
Quoting: TMLSage

Guys, the Leafs didn't give Marner a letter hoping he'd grow into becoming a leader....they gave him an A because he's already a leader or at least respected in the dressing room. You're both right about the pp affecting him and playing with AM but I think it's just more of a mental thing for the whole team because of how this season has gone so far.
28 févr. 2020 à 14 h 51
Démarrer sujet
Banni
Quoting: Sign_em_up000000
Guys, the Leafs didn't give Marner a letter hoping he'd grow into becoming a leader....they gave him an A because he's already a leader or at least respected in the dressing room. You're both right about the pp affecting him and playing with AM but I think it's just more of a mental thing for the whole team because of how this season has gone so far.

Yeah the Leafs have had a tough season & no one’s taken more heat than Marner. That guy gets bashed so much on social media every day.
28 févr. 2020 à 14 h 52
Démarrer sujet
Banni

@Nohate @NR1203

What did you guys think of Mitch Marner’s play yesterday?
28 févr. 2020 à 15 h 19
I hate this team
Rejoint: juill. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 467
Quoting: MitchMarnerElite
@Nohate @NR1203

Idk couldn’t watch the game
28 févr. 2020 à 15 h 47
V5 ANA and BOG
Rejoint: janv. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 691
@Nohate @NR1203

I think very much like JT, he's still pretty effective but not as flashy as us fans expect. I think there's more to his game but scrutiny of the team has been high since the all-star break, at the highest point in the Matthews/Marner era. He hasn't felt this much heat before.
3 out of the last 4 games the Leafs have looked like a real contender, possibly the 3 best games of their season so I think he's on the verge of getting back to that level.

Last night I thought he was invisible (which isn't the worst but not the best either), didn't make any mistakes or bad plays but also didn't really do anything exciting.
oneX, Trickster et Sign_em_up000000 a aimé ceci.
28 févr. 2020 à 15 h 59
Démarrer sujet
Banni
Quoting: NR1203
I think very much like JT, he's still pretty effective but not as flashy as us fans expect. I think there's more to his game but scrutiny of the team has been high since the all-star break, at the highest point in the Matthews/Marner era. He hasn't felt this much heat before.
3 out of the last 4 games the Leafs have looked like a real contender, possibly the 3 best games of their season so I think he's on the verge of getting back to that level.

Last night I thought he was invisible (which isn't the worst but not the best either), didn't make any mistakes or bad plays but also didn't really do anything exciting.

Yeah I agree I think he’s taken a lot of heat this season because he got grossly overpaid plus the team has been inconsistent, so his overall play has not been the greatest. Yesterday he made a nice between the legs assist, but that’s all that stood the out from his part.
NR1203 et Sign_em_up000000 a aimé ceci.
28 févr. 2020 à 16 h 1
V5 ANA and BOG
Rejoint: janv. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 691
Yeah the Leafs have had a tough season & no one’s taken more heat than Marner. That guy gets bashed so much on social media every day.

Oh Nylander too... some people will still hate him even if he won 10 hart trophies, broke Gretzky's point record and then cured cancer.

Yeah I agree I think he’s taken a lot of heat this season because he got grossly overpaid plus the team has been inconsistent, so his overall play has not been the greatest. Yesterday he made a nice between the legs assist, but that’s all that stood the out from his part.

There's more expected and hopefully he can get there soon.
28 févr. 2020 à 16 h 32
Démarrer sujet
Banni
Oh Nylander too... some people will still hate him even if he won 10 hart trophies, broke Gretzky's point record and then cured cancer.

There's more expected and hopefully he can get there soon.

Well Nylander is well liked by all leaf fans I think and rightfully so. Marner is the scapegoat though, and the Leafs definitely need him to find another level to his game if they want to make the playoffs and go deep.
28 févr. 2020 à 18 h 18
hey look a squirrel
Rejoint: mai 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 3,744
I think he played better vs Florida then Tampa.

He can do better but he isn't playing poorly either.
Just needs to be consistently more effective.

Nylander is a beast, 29 goals so far.
28 févr. 2020 à 18 h 23
Démarrer sujet
Banni
I think he played better vs Florida then Tampa.

He can do better but he isn't playing poorly either.
Just needs to be consistently more effective.

Nylander is a beast, 29 goals so far.

Yeah if Marner can play anywhere the level of Nylander this season, I think we’d be pretty happy.
29 févr. 2020 à 20 h 14
@Nohate @NR1203

I also missed it but am going to watch it after the Van game.
Trickster a aimé ceci.
6 mars 2020 à 11 h 58
Démarrer sujet
Banni
Quoting: mondo

Quoting: oneX

Quoting: Trevorchef

Quoting: Nohate
Idk couldn’t watch the game

@jack_ @Random2152 @Britishbulldog

Guys, Leafs writer Bill Comeau said that something is off about Mitch Marner’s stick work. Whenever he goes to receive the puck or attempts to maneuver past opponents, he tends lose his balance, fall down, fumble it & costs possession. This has made him largely ineffective in the play, sometimes a liability. What’d y’all think of this? Has this always been an issue in his game? Why could this be?

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Ajouter une option
Soumettre le sondage