(NYR/CAR) - Skjei for a 2020 1st round pick

Who won the trade?
Le graphique a été masqué

Options de sondage

24 févr. 2020 à 23 h 45
buffalofan
Rejoint: nov. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 172
i guess edmonson is free agent this year as canes have 3 long term LD now.
25 févr. 2020 à 0 h 7
Rangers Fan
Rejoint: févr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 1
I think this is a win-win deal.
Brady Skjei had a pretty good first year, but the last two seasons he was underperforming for the money he is getting.
He wasn't going anywhere with the Rangers and the Rangers desperately needed cap space after signing Kreider and with the Shattenkirk buy out hurting them badly next season.
Getting a decent first round pick in return is great for them.

Carolina getting a second line defenseman with the potential to reach his expectations in a new team and environment.
HGStebbins a aimé ceci.
25 févr. 2020 à 0 h 10
Retired V2 V3 GM
Rejoint: mai 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 1,128
Carolina's defence just got better... who knew it could!!!!
25 févr. 2020 à 10 h 45
Rejoint: juill. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 246
Quoting: tormundgiantsbane
I don't see lottery protections in the conditions... IMAGINE both Toronto and Carolina miss the playoffs and both picks win lottery spots haha.

The conditions are where this could get really fun.

The condition is that Carolina has to give the Rangers a pick in this year's draft, but can give them the lower of the two between their own and Toronto's. However Toronto can defer their pick until next year if the pick ends up being top 10.

So I wonder what happens if Carolina misses and wins the lottery, and Toronto misses and finishes with a the 10th overall pick. I know it isn't likely, but then Toronto could choose to defer. If they defer, Carolina now has only one pick to offer the Rangers. I wonder if a side deal would then be possible. Carolina could want to offer something to Toronto to convince them not to defer and the Rangers could offer something to Toronto to force them to defer so they could get the lottery pick. I don't know if that's the way it would work, but I wonder if there is any language in the actual contract or CBA that would prevent something like that from happening.
dlt_hfu2847whsba a aimé ceci.
25 févr. 2020 à 23 h 9
Rejoint: mars 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 92
CAR needed a goaltender not a D. WTF happened??? Lehner was available and could have been had for 1st.
26 févr. 2020 à 7 h 59
I'm a Skatman
Rejoint: mai 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 295
a fun side effect of this trade - with the Rangers possibly pushing for the playoffs themselves and CAR/TOR being direct contenders to the wild card spots, the Rangers are possibly improving their own draft position by winning.
28 févr. 2020 à 13 h 34
Rejoint: avr. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 176
Terrible move for the Rags. They're in win now mode. That pick won't help for years.
1 mars 2020 à 12 h 53
Earfgang
Rejoint: oct. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 34
Quoting: AwesomeMatthews
every prospect the Hurricanes has is just an asset to move for an already proven NHL'er its an NBA style of thinking that the Hurricanes owner likes.

We are trading maybe's for young definitely's, if we were trading young unproven guys for old last of there prime years guys i mould agree, but Skjei is 25, Trocheck is 26, and Vatanan is 28, they are proven talent and they are young enough to have an positive impact for 5-7 years. The team is built to win right now, sitting on guys to come in in 3-4 years is too long to wait while the team is very good. We still have most of our draft picks, our top end prospects are untouched, and we have bolstered our lineup to have the best D- Core in the league for many years to come whilst keeping each individual player relatively cheap.

Cheap shot here, but the leafs paying a giant % of the teams cap to superstars and trying to fill in a roster for the rest of the team is more of an NBA mindset than what is going on here *Hat tip*
2 mai 2020 à 8 h 59
Am Yisrael Chai
Rejoint: oct. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 6,702
Gorts!!
27 mai 2020 à 12 h 56
Rejoint: juill. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 28
Quoting: Kakko_to_New_York
Gorts!!

If this winds up becoming a top 15 pick for Skjei.......WOOOOOOOOOW GORTS
2 juill. 2020 à 21 h 57
HutsonNorlinderGuhle
Rejoint: juill. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 1,377
Quoting: punchmaster11
Carolina really loves their defensemen.

Carolina really has too many defencemen for the playoffs. They’re gonna have to sit good depth guys like Edmundson and Fleury to make room for all of their new toys. And the rangers might get Laf if the canes lose. Good on you, Rangers

Edit: sorry for the triple quote
15 août 2020 à 20 h 57
Mentions "j'aime": 830
Quoting: Ragsandbluesfan
But if both get lottery spots and carolinas is 1st 👀👀👀

Toronto's was lottery protected.

So they would have got it back if they won Lafreniere.
15 août 2020 à 21 h 27
Former Hockey Fan
Rejoint: juin 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 10,516
Quoting: drewjenkins
Toronto's was lottery protected.

So they would have got it back if they won Lafreniere.

But the Rangers could’ve got 1st with Carolina’s pick of Toronto’s pick we’re in the top 10.
15 août 2020 à 21 h 57
Mentions "j'aime": 830
Quoting: Kotkaniemi15
But the Rangers could’ve got 1st with Carolina’s pick of Toronto’s pick we’re in the top 10.

Yeap.
17 août 2020 à 12 h 40
Rejoint: juin 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 2,763
looking back on this trade, canes are lucky they made this deal to beef up. edmundson got hurt, pesce out, hamilton missed some time. vatanen missed time. skjei hasnt been the best but hes been solid enough for them.

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Chargement de l'animation
Soumettre les modifications du sondage