(MTL/WSH) - Kovalchuk for 2020 3rd round pick

Who won the trade?
Le graphique a été masqué

Options de sondage

23 févr. 2020 à 22 h 36
Rejoint: janv. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 2,240
Quoting: Inthewrist
I'm more disappointed by Habs retaining salary than by the 3 round pick. This means, habs have now retained salary for Kovalchuk and Scandella, and are 1 away from the 3 limit.

This means even if a team comes in tomorrow and offers the world for Petry and Tatar, but can only make it work if Montreal was to retain, the habs cannot do that now.

Don't see Bergevin retaining on Tatar or Petry. It's unlikely enough that he trades them in the first place. Retaining for another year on top of that, is not going to happen.
Boubou79 a aimé ceci.
23 févr. 2020 à 22 h 55
Rejoint: nov. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 2,196
Kolvie and Ovie, I knew they'll get on the same team.

Ovie is still missing Semin, a secondary scorer on his opposite wing.
23 févr. 2020 à 22 h 55
Rejoint: juin 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 19
Quoting: HabsForEver
Don't see Bergevin retaining on Tatar or Petry. It's unlikely enough that he trades them in the first place. Retaining for another year on top of that, is not going to happen.

I will not put it past the Hurricanes based on Hamilton's injury and what just happen to Pesce to not sniff seriously around Petry tomorrow. And as for Tatar, he will also be of interest to most teams looking for more goals tomorrow as well. And in this time of year, most teams can only do it if the habs were to retain.

As for your point, yes I agree, moving one yet alone both players seem unlikely. But it just strike me as short sighted and unnecessary to retain on kolvachuck and kill any possibility of that happening. After all, Habs could easily have allowed washington to dump Djoos or Copley contracts, if Caps really wanted to save on the cap hit.
pinslack a aimé ceci.
23 févr. 2020 à 23 h 10
Quoting: Inthewrist
I will not put it past the Hurricanes based on Hamilton's injury and what just happen to Pesce to not sniff seriously around Petry tomorrow. And as for Tatar, he will also be of interest to most teams looking for more goals tomorrow as well. And in this time of year, most teams can only do it if the habs were to retain.

As for your point, yes I agree, moving one yet alone both players seem unlikely. But it just strike me as short sighted and unnecessary to retain on kolvachuck and kill any possibility of that happening. After all, Habs could easily have allowed washington to dump Djoos or Copley contracts, if Caps really wanted to save on the cap hit.

Heard Petry is the most called about player in the NHL, so take that as you will.
23 févr. 2020 à 23 h 58
Molson beer is meh
Rejoint: janv. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 1,673
I think what Pierre LeBrun alluded to on TSN is correct. Habs probably could of gotten a 2nd on deadline day (or a 3rd with a condition of it becoming a 2nd), but they had a guaranteed 3rd from WSH where the market could have dried up and Habs would be left to get whatever they could fetch. Which would be more than likely worse than a 4th rd pick.

Not to mention MTL will most likely try a sign Kovalchuk in the off-season. So sending him to play for a legit cup contender with his best friend as a gesture of good will probably helps with that. Doubt Kovalchuk would of been happy if Bergy sent him to CGY for a conditional 3rd lol
24 févr. 2020 à 0 h 9
Chiggy
Rejoint: mai 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 590
Modifié 24 févr. 2020 à 0 h 50
Quoting: HonestHockeyNYI
This is a home run for WSH. That power play of theirs just got a new option as well.

Funny enough, his PP contribution has completely dried up in recent years. He can still contribute at 5v5 though.
HabsForEver a aimé ceci.
24 févr. 2020 à 1 h 22
Emotionally in 2018
Rejoint: nov. 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 3,387
I. love. it. It's cheap, it adds more offense to our team and should provide a spark to Ovechkin and Kuznetsov specifically.
OldNYIfan a aimé ceci.
24 févr. 2020 à 1 h 56
Banni
Rejoint: juin 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 4,837
This reminds me of all the caps fans going crazy over Panik.....that didn't end well.

If they think he's going to really help I have my doubts. He doesn't play defense. They already have one old slow winger who doesn't play defense and cherry picks.
I'm not sure another one helps.
But their bottom 6 is desperate. There isn't much there and they know it.
OldNYIfan a aimé ceci.
24 févr. 2020 à 2 h 0
Quoting: pharrow
This reminds me of all the caps fans going crazy over Panik.....that didn't end well.

If they think he's going to really help I have my doubts. He doesn't play defense. They already have one old slow winger who doesn't play defense and cherry picks.

Damn you hate Kovalchuk. Are you a Devils fan or a Kings fan?
24 févr. 2020 à 4 h 53
Rejoint: déc. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 3,523
I'm really not sure why the Caps made this move. Does anyone actually see Kovy being productive in a bottom six, 2nd PP role? He's also a major liability defensively. They should've targeted a depth 2-way forward who kills penalties. Tyler Ennis.
24 févr. 2020 à 4 h 56
Rejoint: déc. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 3,523
Quoting: HabsForEver
Heard Petry is the most called about player in the NHL, so take that as you will.

Petry and Palmieri for sure. Both have term remaining at decent cap hits. I just think the "ask" is gonna be too high on Petry. MTL can def. contend next season with a healthy lineup.
HabsForEver a aimé ceci.
24 févr. 2020 à 7 h 52
Rejoint: mai 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 1,628
Quoting: pharrow

Dumont points out that Kovy defensive numbers were great, putting him as one the Canadiens’ best defensive forward. On ice, his reputation of a strickly offensive player wasnt proven at MTL

kovalchuk-defence-together.png
Kylonetic8 a aimé ceci.
24 févr. 2020 à 7 h 56
Not yet trannycided
Rejoint: févr. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 2,012
In a vacuum, MTL could've gotten more, but it's still a free pick essentially. Fair deal.
24 févr. 2020 à 8 h 47
Retired V2 V3 GM
Rejoint: mai 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 1,127
Ovi and Kovy on same line would be deadly 😬.

A little scared as a Pens fan tbh. Maybe we should trade JJ for an upgrade.
24 févr. 2020 à 8 h 47
Rejoint: juin 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 2,763
Habs win this by a landslide. are you kidding me? caps could have signed kovalchuk and used their 3rd elsewhere. habs turned kovalchuk into a free 3rd rounder. thats huge.
jpsnow13 et HabsForEver a aimé ceci.
24 févr. 2020 à 9 h 59
Typical Caps Fan
Rejoint: oct. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 346
Quoting: draft_em_sign_em_trade_em
Ovie is still missing Semin, a secondary scorer on his opposite wing.

Have you heard of the cup winner Tom Wilson? Dude is a beast. 20 goals again this year. Does everything. That 5.1 mill AAV is looking like a steal now, no joke.
24 févr. 2020 à 10 h 6
We are all equal
Rejoint: févr. 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 331
Home run for the Habs. Great return they picked up for free only a few months ago when no other team would take a chance on him. Washington gets a cheap rental for a Stanley Cup run. Win on both sides.
24 févr. 2020 à 10 h 26
Rejoint: mars 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 830
Quoting: kaljakori
Lmfao, that's a steal. Kovy can still be a lethal offensive tool with sheltered minutes.

Then maybe Washington should have signed him for free a couple weeks ago .....
24 févr. 2020 à 11 h 24
Patrick Roys coach
Mentions "j'aime": 2
Ilya and ovi will rock the ice together! I really wish a cup for kovalchuk
24 févr. 2020 à 13 h 33
Banni
Mentions "j'aime": 4,837
Quoting: pinslack
Dumont points out that Kovy defensive numbers were great, putting him as one the Canadiens’ best defensive forward. On ice, his reputation of a strickly offensive player wasnt proven at MTL

kovalchuk-defence-together.png

yeah and if you watched the games he was always lurking at his own blueline not doing anything but waiting for a pass. Don't care what some heat map says. Watch the games and you'll see.
He didn't earn that rep by actually helping his teammates out in his own end and his game has never changed.
24 févr. 2020 à 13 h 54
Rejoint: juill. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 246
I am shocked at how many people are trying to dunk on Bergevin for this deal less than a 6 weeks after signing him to league minimum off the scrap heap. Bergevin essentially got a 3rd for nothing. Maybe people expected a crazy market for him based on some other prices, but after a hot start he has cooled down, and is realistically looking like a secondary purely offensive rental, so I think a 2nd is basically the ceiling you can expect in a crazy market for rentals, but a 3rd isn't nothing, and nothing is what the Habs gave up to have him, so good deal.
HabsForEver a aimé ceci.
24 févr. 2020 à 15 h 19
Once a Kings Fan Too
Mentions "j'aime": 24,582
Both sides win. Montreal converts a minimum-contract player into a third-round pick. Washington invests a pick somewhere between 90 and 93 on the chance that Kovalchuk contributes key goals in the playoff run-up and in the tournament. After the way he was mis-used here In L.A., I hope he does well.
8 juin 2020 à 12 h 24
v5 CBJ GM
Rejoint: févr. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 8,548
Kovalchook

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Chargement de l'animation
Soumettre les modifications du sondage