SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Trades

(LAK/VAN) - Toffoli for Schaller, Madden, 2nd round pick, conditional 4th round pick

Who won the trade?
Le graphique a été masqué

Options de sondage

18 févr. 2020 à 7 h 6
Rejoint: mai 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 1,632
Quoting: phillyjabroni
Fair trade for both sides and right in line with the rental market. Average prospect + 2nd round pick for Toffoli.

Scouts wouldnt qualify Madden as an "average" prospect.

He's projected to be a top six foward by Corey Pronman and he's one of college hockey’s best players according to Scott Wheeler. He might be the 3rd best prospect of VAN.

Quoting: pharrow
Madden might be the best piece in this trade.

He's certainly not the best piece (Toffoli was heading to 50pts with the second worst team, keeping good advanced stats) but this is pricey
OldNYIfan a aimé ceci.
18 févr. 2020 à 7 h 22
Rejoint: déc. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 3,523
Only a good trade for the LAK if Madden signs. Otherwise, it'll be a bust. Toffoli could've brought a late 1st from BOS, STL, or DAL imo.
PrisonBull et OldNYIfan a aimé ceci.
18 févr. 2020 à 7 h 24
Quoting: pharrow
Madden might be the best piece in this trade.
His point production for an NCAA player is very solid. The question is can they get him to sign.
If I was him I wouldn't sign in LA. In the long run it's probably not worth it tax wise.
Stay in school the extra year and become a FA. People will be knocking down his door at this rate.

If Madden were drafted today, he'd def. be a much higher pick. Probably early-mid 2nd round. I think he's absolutely the most significant piece of this trade.
18 févr. 2020 à 7 h 39
Rejoint: juill. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 246
I think this is a fair trade for a rental, it's really hard to dislike this from LAs end, they got reasonably valuable assets for an expiring contract. They didn't do as well as NJ did, but Toffoli doesn't have the same value as Coleman, but I do think NJ did better on Greene all things considered.

I like Toffoli though, so this trade ends up being a reasonable price for a good player. Biggest knock will be if Vancouver misses the playoffs, not having your 1st or 2nd in a year you miss is really rough, especially when it isn't as if you had been making it regularly before hand.

I do think as well we are now starting to see that GMs are paying more in trades to get players who out perform their cap hit. While cap hits could always hurt a players value before, I think with the Coleman deal we saw a GM pay extra simply because the player had term left at a very low cap hit for what the player brings to the table. It will be interesting to see if this continues.

Montreal is a team that comes to mind that has a good number of complimentary players with very good cap hits for their contribution, and it will be interesting to see if they take advantage of this market and add assets for guys like Danault, Armia or maybe even maximizing value on Tatar by retaining salary of this last year. All of those players have exactly one year left on reasonable or even bargain deals, and holding some salary could create a very lucrative trade market for them if we are finally seeing teams pay a premium for players who can out perform their cap hit, and who have an extra year of term.
18 févr. 2020 à 9 h 46
StevieY19!!
Rejoint: juin 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 690
Apparently there is another player in this deal to make the money work. My guess Beagle or Roussel, but idk Source: Pierre Lebrun.
18 févr. 2020 à 11 h 14
Banni
Rejoint: juin 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 4,837
Quoting: pinslack

He's projected to be a top six foward by Corey Pronman and he's one of college hockey’s best players according to Scott Wheeler. He might be the 3rd best prospect of VAN.

He's certainly not the best piece (Toffoli was heading to 50pts with the second worst team, keeping good advanced stats) but this is pricey

yeah lets see what he looks like on a good team before making that conclusion.
After seeing the penguins take Pearsson who LA fans claimed was some fast player etc...turned out he was none of that.
I do question Toffoli foot speed in the modern game. There are plenty of guys teams fans claim are fast, but when put next to fast guys they look average.
So till I see it, I'm not going to believe it.
I for one don't think there was a whole lot of talent on LA. This isn't a Panarin type guy who can be a 1 man show and I don't think he has the foot speed to really stand out.
So lets not over hype him here.
pinslack a aimé ceci.
18 févr. 2020 à 11 h 50
Rejoint: mars 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 2,738
it seems like a fair trade when it comes to if it were an extra year, but I would say as a pure rental it seems pointless at this expense. But we'll see what happens later on when it comes to the offseason and what the Canucks can actually do with him.
18 févr. 2020 à 11 h 51
Quoting: Brian2016
Only a good trade for the LAK if Madden signs. Otherwise, it'll be a bust. Toffoli could've brought a late 1st from BOS, STL, or DAL imo.

not in the least bit. For a pure rental I wouldn't even pay a first for Kreider. Toffoli would fetch a second at best.
18 févr. 2020 à 12 h 8
Once a Kings Fan Too
Mentions "j'aime": 25,027
Quoting: YoshiOnIce
Man Canucks don't have their first two picks this year.

But if they miss the playoffs, they get their first back,
Tmclean64 a aimé ceci.
18 févr. 2020 à 12 h 12
Once a Kings Fan Too
Mentions "j'aime": 25,027
Quoting: Danny12357
I think this is a fair trade for a rental, it's really hard to dislike this from LAs end, they got reasonably valuable assets for an expiring contract. They didn't do as well as NJ did, but Toffoli doesn't have the same value as Coleman, but I do think NJ did better on Greene all things considered.

I like Toffoli though, so this trade ends up being a reasonable price for a good player. Biggest knock will be if Vancouver misses the playoffs, not having your 1st or 2nd in a year you miss is really rough, especially when it isn't as if you had been making it regularly before hand.

I do think as well we are now starting to see that GMs are paying more in trades to get players who out perform their cap hit. While cap hits could always hurt a players value before, I think with the Coleman deal we saw a GM pay extra simply because the player had term left at a very low cap hit for what the player brings to the table. It will be interesting to see if this continues.

Montreal is a team that comes to mind that has a good number of complimentary players with very good cap hits for their contribution, and it will be interesting to see if they take advantage of this market and add assets for guys like Danault, Armia or maybe even maximizing value on Tatar by retaining salary of this last year. All of those players have exactly one year left on reasonable or even bargain deals, and holding some salary could create a very lucrative trade market for them if we are finally seeing teams pay a premium for players who can out perform their cap hit, and who have an extra year of term.

If Vancouver misses the playoffs this year, they get their first back.
18 févr. 2020 à 13 h 19
Canucks
Rejoint: déc. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 349
Quoting: Danny12357

The 1st they traded is lottery protected. They keep their 1st and it transfers to next year if they miss.
OldNYIfan a aimé ceci.
18 févr. 2020 à 13 h 56
Rejoint: juill. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 246
Quoting: Tmclean64
The 1st they traded is lottery protected. They keep their 1st and it transfers to next year if they miss.

Didn't realize this, I had the conditions on Van's 1st and the Leafs first mixed up. I knew the pick had protection, but that it was protection specifically on if the pick ended up top 10.

Toronto's pick has to end up in the top 10 in order to give them the option to transfer.

I wonder with this condition would Van have the option to let the pick go if they missed but lost the lottery? It would be interesting because if you miss the playoffs after so many consecutive years, and you don't win the lottery, do you really want to be in a situation where you go into next year with an unprotected first traded to another team. It would be interesting to know if it's a hard condition (meaning it's automatic if Van misses the post season), or if it becomes Vancouver's option.
OldNYIfan a aimé ceci.
18 févr. 2020 à 14 h 32
Rejoint: mars 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 2,885
Quoting: pinslack

Personally, I don't buy that he is going to be a solid second line forward for any team. He's more of a bottom-six typer player given his skillset in my opinion. He's definitely up there as one of the better NCAA players, but I think a lot of times people use being one of the best and potential synonymously. There are a bunch of other players (Evan Barratt, Mitchell Chaffe, Reilly Walsh, Jack Dugan, David Farrance, to name a few) who are really good at the NCAA level but won't be more than a bottom-six or AHL role.
18 févr. 2020 à 17 h 46
Rejoint: mars 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 2,619
Quoting: AwesomeMatthews
What a huge win by Vancouver. I can't help but feel the Kings messed this up, that is how much you got for Toffoli, when Coleman got a first, Greene got a 2nd, Campbell and Clifford got multiple high draft picks I mean wtf.

Yeah that's what I was thinking. Vancouver won this trade I think. Part of why Vancouver did this because Ferland is out for the rest of the season and Benning confirmed Boeser is out until the playoffs.
PrisonBull a aimé ceci.
18 févr. 2020 à 22 h 13
Quoting: BeastModeUnknown
not in the least bit. For a pure rental I wouldn't even pay a first for Kreider. Toffoli would fetch a second at best.

Haha. Funny.
18 févr. 2020 à 23 h 0
Quoting: Brian2016
Haha. Funny.

I mean that's what this brought they didn't get a first so Obviously i'm right the best they could get was a second they couldn't get a first so give it a rest.
19 févr. 2020 à 14 h 13
Executive Director
Rejoint: déc. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 11
Not that bad considering Ferland and Leivo are done for the year and Boeser out until playoffs. Toffoli will fit in very nice with this team. Madden will be an NHL player but could be years until that happens. Canucks can't wait that long and can't afford to miss the playoffs this year. Fair deal.

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Chargement de l'animation
Soumettre les modifications du sondage