SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Signings

Pittsburgh Penguins signed Marcus Pettersson (5 Years / $4,025,175 AAV)

Was this a good signing?
Le graphique a été masqué

Options de sondage

28 janv. 2020 à 22 h 38
Rejoint: août 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 543
Quoting: hockeyfanatic05
Still waiting on the point totals whittle buddy

I'm curious to see where this is going, so I'll oblige you and ignore you're baby-talk.

However, I should warn you that I'm only 4 years old, so if my mom does read your comments, she might get upset and call your parents.

An addition to having the 6th most ice-time per game out of all Pittsburgh defensemen ... Marcus Pettersson has 15 points in 50 games.

Did we just prove he's a top-4 d-man? I'm exited! Are you excited?
vmark a aimé ceci.
28 janv. 2020 à 23 h 19
Rejoint: juin 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 247
big overpay, has played like a bottom pair defenseman, 4million is a ton for a number 6 defenseman. They better hope he develops ALOT or else this will be an awful deal.
28 janv. 2020 à 23 h 20
Funny considering this isn't a bad contract. Factor in the offer he signed this past offseason, his cap hit would be at 3.5. This contact was agreed upon since the summer and hes living up to it.

he has been awful this year, he is living up to a 700k contract, not a 3.5million one.
28 janv. 2020 à 23 h 29
Banni
Rejoint: mai 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 1,491
Quoting: awesome
he has been awful this year, he is living up to a 700k contract, not a 3.5million one.

lmao ok. sure he has
mhockey91 a aimé ceci.
28 janv. 2020 à 23 h 51
Modifié 29 janv. 2020 à 0 h 5
lmao ok. sure he has

what defenseman do you think he has been better than out of the starting 6 if everybody's healthy?(i.e excluding Riikola and Ruhwedel's of the world).
29 janv. 2020 à 0 h 4
Quoting: OldNYIfan
As an Anaheim guy, I have two comments:

How's that Pettersson-for-Sprong trade look now?

So Pettersson will now be making what Josh Manson makes. Which one would YOU rather have? (This comment directed primarily to those who think this is an overpay.)

I choose neither one, nobody is holding you hostage to pick one or the other, GMJR voluntarily paid a 6th defenseman 4million a year.
29 janv. 2020 à 0 h 10
Banni
Rejoint: mai 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 1,491
Quoting: awesome
what defenseman do you think he has been better than out of the starting 6 if everybody's healthy?(i.e excluding Riikola and Ruhwedel's of the world).

Schultz, Johnson, and better defensively than letang. Only reason why people think he’s overpaid is because he doesn’t score and not as good defensively as dumo, but has the same cap hit.
29 janv. 2020 à 4 h 2
Rejoint: déc. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 3,523
Not much downside. Compare to Maatta: Pettersson is 2 years younger and already better on both sides of the puck. He signed for 4.94% of the cap while Maatta signed for 5.72% of the cap in 2016.

CGY just signed Rasmus Andersson (also 23 y.o.) long term at 5.58% of the cap. Most people in the hockey universe approved and his contract was approved by more than a 2:1 margin on this site.

Andersson might have the higher ceiling, but I think right now Pettersson is better defensively by a solid margin.

Conclusion: In my opinion, Marcus Pettersson was the best signing of the 3.
vmark, gregb569, OldNYIfan and 1 other person a aimé ceci.
29 janv. 2020 à 4 h 6
Rejoint: déc. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 3,523
One thing I've come to accept this season: Jim Rutherford usually gets it right. He's rebuilt this Pens team as a 2-way monster. If Guentzel were healthy, they'd be my Cup fav. right now.

BTW...What's the timetable on Guentzel's return? Any chance he'll be back for the playoffs?
29 janv. 2020 à 4 h 13
IG vincemark78
Rejoint: juill. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 82
@drewjenks bro you were killin me in your responses. Funny guy.

This is an ok deal right now. He stays on his current path, it works out overtime. Core for a few seasons of letang, dumo, johnson, and mp is quite serviceable. Add in marino n we only need to feel out a single spot we have locked in with dudes like ruhwedel, trotman, or Shultz (lol) but mp, in this deal, taking a cheap year this season to insure this type of contract, is fair. Maybe an extra year but gmjr loves term so whatever ****in dudes 23 n way better than d sprong
drewjenks a aimé ceci.
29 janv. 2020 à 6 h 38
gregb569
Rejoint: févr. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 390
Quoting: drewjenks
Average Time On Ice:

1. Kris Letang
2. Brian Dumoulin
3. John Marino
4. Justin Schultz
5. Jack Johnson
6. Marc Pettersson

this has already been discussed with someone else but just wanted to leave this here: https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/1548142

Idk if you should be able to post on this forum tbh...
29 janv. 2020 à 7 h 21
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Rejoint: juill. 2015
Mentions "j'aime": 22,462
Quoting: Random2152
Your homer glasses are blinding you man. He is overpaid. He should be making 1mil less at least, and that is ignoring the fact that he is just an average defender.

I don't k now much about Petterson. But assuming he is going to be a 20 minute solid NHLer for five years, the contact seems OK. If the Leafs feel the same way about Dermot shouldn't he get a similar contract?...maybe a bit lower, if the Leafs and Dermot want to go longer term.
29 janv. 2020 à 7 h 38
Banni
Mentions "j'aime": 4,837
Quoting: Brian2016
One thing I've come to accept this season: Jim Rutherford usually gets it right. He's rebuilt this Pens team as a 2-way monster. If Guentzel were healthy, they'd be my Cup fav. right now.

BTW...What's the timetable on Guentzel's return? Any chance he'll be back for the playoffs?

4-6 months.
They never said what the injury was. So who knows. If they would have a more realistic answer could be given.
Brian2016 a aimé ceci.
29 janv. 2020 à 9 h 26
Rejoint: nov. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 2,196
Quoting: palhal
I don't k now much about Petterson. But assuming he is going to be a 20 minute solid NHLer for five years, the contact seems OK. If the Leafs feel the same way about Dermot shouldn't he get a similar contract?...maybe a bit lower, if the Leafs and Dermot want to go longer term.

You nailed it, All the thumbs down on this signing are from Leaf fans being concerned that Dermott's agent will be asking for the 4 million Petterson and (Cgy) Anderson just got. The Leafs got Dubas in control, Dermott was going to get over paid no matter what. Dermott for 6 million easily with Dubas in charge, fire him after the Leafs miss the playoffs.
29 janv. 2020 à 9 h 46
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: draft_em_sign_em_trade_em
You nailed it, All the thumbs down on this signing are from Leaf fans being concerned that Dermott's agent will be asking for the 4 million Petterson and (Cgy) Anderson just got. The Leafs got Dubas in control, Dermott was going to get over paid no matter what. Dermott for 6 million easily with Dubas in charge, fire him after the Leafs miss the playoffs.

Don't be ridiculous about the 6m. It's whether the Leafs and Dermot feel comfortable with a about 4m deal. Might only happen if the Leaf feel that want/have to move on from Muzzin.
29 janv. 2020 à 11 h 9
Rejoint: nov. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 2,196
Quoting: palhal
Don't be ridiculous about the 6m. It's whether the Leafs and Dermot feel comfortable with a about 4m deal. Might only happen if the Leaf feel that want/have to move on from Muzzin.

Dermott is Seattle bound.
29 janv. 2020 à 13 h 3
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Dermott is Seattle bound.

Don't know how you figure that. Apparently Sandin and Liljegren are exempt. Leafs right now only have Reilly, Dermot and someone else will be the three protected.
29 janv. 2020 à 15 h 13
Rejoint: mai 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 182
I like the signing, the value and the length. I just don’t think he deserves a modified no trade clause. A third-pairing defenceman should have no say if, where or when he gets traded
vmark a aimé ceci.
29 janv. 2020 à 18 h 38
Sensible Commentary
Rejoint: juill. 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 536
Quoting: GeraltofRivia
I like the signing, the value and the length. I just don’t think he deserves a modified no trade clause. A third-pairing defenceman should have no say if, where or when he gets traded
PITthis would put him as a 2nd-pairing defender, as opposed to 3rd-pairing. and he's a part of the reason why the Penguins have been playing hilariously well defensively this year.

the modified NTC was likely to lower the per-annum cost of the contract. and it's only an 8-team no-trade; that's not that restrictive.
gregb569 a aimé ceci.
29 janv. 2020 à 19 h 33
Quoting: gregb569
this has already been discussed with someone else but just wanted to leave this here: https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/1548142

Idk if you should be able to post on this forum tbh...

I don't think you picked up on the fact that this team was clearly a joke .....
29 janv. 2020 à 19 h 40
Quoting: vmark
@drewjenks bro you were killin me in your responses. Funny guy.

This is an ok deal right now. He stays on his current path, it works out overtime. Core for a few seasons of letang, dumo, johnson, and mp is quite serviceable. Add in marino n we only need to feel out a single spot we have locked in with dudes like ruhwedel, trotman, or Shultz (lol) but mp, in this deal, taking a cheap year this season to insure this type of contract, is fair. Maybe an extra year but gmjr loves term so whatever ****in dudes 23 n way better than d sprong

lol yeah the deal isn't bad ... and could end up great in the future.

Some people just love to go overboard with overly positive or negative opinions.

And I love responding to them ... so I guess I'm just as guilty.
vmark a aimé ceci.
29 janv. 2020 à 19 h 43

Kapanen + Johnson + Kerfoot had all proven significantly more than Dermott has when Dubas signed them for $3,200,000 - $3,500,000.

My guess is that Dermott ends up signing for something around $2,000,000 x 2 years or $3,000,000 x 3 years.
29 janv. 2020 à 23 h 36
Not much downside. Compare to Maatta: Pettersson is 2 years younger and already better on both sides of the puck. He signed for 4.94% of the cap while Maatta signed for 5.72% of the cap in 2016.

CGY just signed Rasmus Andersson (also 23 y.o.) long term at 5.58% of the cap. Most people in the hockey universe approved and his contract was approved by more than a 2:1 margin on this site.

Andersson might have the higher ceiling, but I think right now Pettersson is better defensively by a solid margin.

Conclusion: In my opinion, Marcus Pettersson was the best signing of the 3.

Maatta was a better player defensively when he got his deal, but comparing this deal to another contract that didn't end up going so well isn't a good sign... although to be fair I think injuries had a big hand in that. Which so far durability is probably the best thing of Pettersson so far. Personally both this deal and the Andersson one weren't very good signings.
29 janv. 2020 à 23 h 38

unfortunately the earliest he could possibly be back is around conference finals, so likely not realistic to expect him back even if the pens make it to the cup finals.
30 janv. 2020 à 6 h 7
gregb569
Rejoint: févr. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 390
Quoting: drewjenks
I don't think you picked up on the fact that this team was clearly a joke .....

aren't jokes supposed to be funny..? weird concept I know

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Chargement de l'animation
Soumettre les modifications du sondage