SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

is Athanasiou better than Galchenyuk

28 janv. 2020 à 8 h 27
Rejoint: juin 2015
Mentions "j'aime": 31
Serious question here...why is AA so much more valued than Galchenyuk?? What am i missing?

AA: 284 games played in the NHL, 78 goals 71 apples -65 (pretty bad), 25 years old
Currently has 5 goals and 14 assists and -35
1 30 goal season
0 20 goal seasons prior
PPG- .524

Galcheynuk: 531 games played in the NHL, 132 goals 180 apples -58 (not great,but more games), 25 years old
Currently has 5 goals and 11 assists and -5
1 30 goal season
1 20 goal season
PPG - .587

They both have mediocre possession metrics

I personally don't want AA on the Pens roster, but everyone ridicules Galchenyuk and not this guy? I Do Not Get It
28 janv. 2020 à 8 h 32
Billy739
Rejoint: déc. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 1,629
Skill wise , no
Work Ethic wise , Absolutely .

AA is playing on the worst team in the NHL by a country mile
Chucky's playing on a team with 2 Generational stars and nothing?

AA is having an off year
Chucky hasnt hit 20 goals let alone 30 since he marked his Career high i believe 4-5 years ago now.

I watched Galchenyuk Self destruct and all i kept thinking was f&&&ing Rebiro all over again thinking he'd go elsewhere and score 70-80 points finding inconsistent success.
Sadly Chucky's to drunk to even do that
28 janv. 2020 à 8 h 36
Banni
Rejoint: juin 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 4,837
It really is a good comparison.

I have to be honest though. AA doesn't have much in terms of help.
But I don't think AA has the kind of value a lot of people want to put on him. I think because he's not as far removed from that 30 goal season as it was last year, people have assumed he had grown as a player and made the next step. The thing about hockey and young players though is consistency. Maybe in a different system with different team mates he looks better.

Either way, I don't see the penguins trading for him, and Detroit probably asks for more.
28 janv. 2020 à 8 h 37
Démarrer sujet
Quoting: Billy739
Skill wise , no
Work Ethic wise , Absolutely .

AA is playing on the worst team in the NHL by a country mile
Chucky's playing on a team with 2 Generational stars and nothing?

AA is having an off year
Chucky hasnt hit 20 goals let alone 30 since he marked his Career high i believe 4-5 years ago now.

I watched Galchenyuk Self destruct and all i kept thinking was f&&&ing Rebiro all over again thinking he'd go elsewhere and score 70-80 points finding inconsistent success.
Sadly Chucky's to drunk to even do that

Okay, but Chucky put up over 40 points on an average Coyote team last season and AA put up over 50 points on virtually the same team. sooo, its an off year for one but not the other? That doesn't make sense. Galchenyuk clearly is in the dog house on the pens. he gets like 10 minutes a game.

I haven't read anything about galchenyuk having a drinking/drug problem.
CD282 a aimé ceci.
28 janv. 2020 à 8 h 39
Démarrer sujet
Quoting: pharrow
It really is a good comparison.

I have to be honest though. AA doesn't have much in terms of help.
But I don't think AA has the kind of value a lot of people want to put on him. I think because he's not as far removed from that 30 goal season as it was last year, people have assumed he had grown as a player and made the next step. The thing about hockey and young players though is consistency. Maybe in a different system with different team mates he looks better.

Either way, I don't see the penguins trading for him, and Detroit probably asks for more.

Lets be clear, i'm not offering this trade lol. i dont want AA as a penguin.

Just doing a comparison bit here
28 janv. 2020 à 8 h 45
Banni
Quoting: Ttrexler99
Okay, but Chucky put up over 40 points on an average Coyote team last season and AA put up over 50 points on virtually the same team. sooo, its an off year for one but not the other? That doesn't make sense. Galchenyuk clearly is in the dog house on the pens. he gets like 10 minutes a game.

He has a known abuse problem. I don't know if he's still on the sauce or not. No one does. That doesn't come out until it's too late.
I will say one thing about him. I have never really seen him do stupid things that hurt the team.
28 janv. 2020 à 8 h 48
MartianKiwi
Rejoint: janv. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 10
Galchenyuk has limited to almost 0 hockey sense. Tunnel vision, get out of position in defensive zone a lot, really struggle 5 on 5 hockey.
His main asset; his one timer in powerplay.

Cant talk about AA, only feeling a got hes that he his all offense (cheating a bit)
28 janv. 2020 à 8 h 49
Démarrer sujet
He has a known abuse problem. I don't know if he's still on the sauce or not. No one does. That doesn't come out until it's too late.
I will say one thing about him. I have never really seen him do stupid things that hurt the team.

I think he's a phenomenal playmaker who needs to find his hands again. Added bonus, his shot is wicked.
But the Pens don't use him right and are clearly unhappy with him.
28 janv. 2020 à 8 h 50
Billy739

downside of not reading French i suppose .

i bet you didnt hear about Beaulieu and Tinordi's Coke problem either?
DSP and Christian Thomas busted at a party Chucky was throwing then used as examples and traded

Every player at Chucky's little party is gone
they covered it on RDS for about a month after it happened .

but its always been like that as seen with the Jose Theodore trade being sparked by a rough night at his uncle's bar and accused mob ties.
unless you're french you dont hear it because English Media only covers Maple Leafs
mikearky a aimé ceci.
28 janv. 2020 à 8 h 50
arky
Rejoint: août 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 4,317
AA started the season on the IR and I truly believe he has never recovered fully. I think he came back to soon and it has shown. He does not have that burst of speed to his right turns to get free. He is in a contract year and is still a RFA, so he probably rushed back to show case his talents for a bigger pay day and in reality he has hurt his case.

Either way, due to his 30 goal season Wings will not just take crap for him, as they do not need to trade him and he could be offered a 1 or 2 year deal to prove he can still play better.
Billy739 a aimé ceci.
28 janv. 2020 à 8 h 56
Billy739
Quoting: mikearky
AA started the season on the IR and I truly believe he has never recovered fully. I think he came back to soon and it has shown. He does not have that burst of speed to his right turns to get free. He is in a contract year and is still a RFA, so he probably rushed back to show case his talents for a bigger pay day and in reality he has hurt his case.

Either way, due to his 30 goal season Wings will not just take crap for him, as they do not need to trade him and he could be offered a 1 or 2 year deal to prove he can still play better.

at worse if you sell now you get what MTL did for Chucky aka a Gamble
at best you sell high next TDL after he's rebounded and get multiple picks and a prospect.

if you truly think its just about injury and he can recover i'd wait .
if you're even 50% unsure i'd sell before value drops to low .

i think AA for Fiala would make sense for both teams if you sold low
Selling high is a bit tricky but i'd say a 1st and a 3rd is where you start
mikearky a aimé ceci.
28 janv. 2020 à 9 h 3
Banni
Rejoint: juin 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 8,999
laugh You honest going to compare a player that has 531 NHL games under his best to a player with 284 NHL games under his belt? AA is playing on a garbage Detroit team while Alex Galchenyuk is playing on a staked Penguins team and is still playing well below his potential. No way is a pending UFA in Galchenyuk worth AA that still has 2 years left. I doubt Pittsburgh has what it takes to get AA Yzerman wants a 2nd+b level prospect probably a LHD prospect at since we will be depleted there. Galchenyuk has played 247 more games then Athanasiou. Bet when AA has as many games under his belt their number will be similar.
28 janv. 2020 à 9 h 4
Banni
I think he's a phenomenal playmaker who needs to find his hands again. Added bonus, his shot is wicked.
But the Pens don't use him right and are clearly unhappy with him.

there is no doubt there is talent there. There is a lot of talent in a lot of players. But it doesn't always work.
I think the deal with Chucky is that he doesn't fit the system. He's not a run and gun guy. The penguins are N/S hockey and that just isn't everyone's game. He likes to set up, cycle, and use that shot.
The penguins would rather run you up and down the ice and tire you out and use their speed.
Billy739 a aimé ceci.
28 janv. 2020 à 9 h 8
Billy739
there is no doubt there is talent there. There is a lot of talent in a lot of players. But it doesn't always work.
I think the deal with Chucky is that he doesn't fit the system. He's not a run and gun guy. The penguins are N/S hockey and that just isn't everyone's game. He likes to set up, cycle, and use that shot.
The penguins would rather run you up and down the ice and tire you out and use their speed.

he's be ideal for STL's system or COL's
He's a great special teams guy just not much good outside that as he chooses not to play defense.

that being said going to WSH would make the most sense as he consistently improved over 3 years playing beside Eller then nose dived upon his trade.
maybe Eller could spark Chucky to life ?
28 janv. 2020 à 9 h 14
redw1n9s
Rejoint: mars 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 572
AA isn't significantly better but he's definitely a better player, playing on a much worse team with a horrible supporting cast. One of the best skaters in the league with the ability to handle the puck at high speeds and finish. There is not a single player in the NHL that could produce playing with the bottom 6 that DET has to offer (maybe Crosby/McDavid/MacKinnon).

Keep in mind he's also an RFA and Gal is a UFA - way different.
28 janv. 2020 à 9 h 49
Mentions "j'aime": 373
Don't use stats and logic to try and change the narrative on this site. What is the matter with you?!
GoPens08 a aimé ceci.
28 janv. 2020 à 9 h 49
Rejoint: mai 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 149
Galchenyuk couldn't hang with Crosby or Malkin.
Then, when the team needed him most and everybody was injured he couldn't and still cant get more than 10 minutes. Yet the team was able to persevere and win a ton of games.
AA playing with Filpula for most of the year.
It's really not comparable....
28 janv. 2020 à 9 h 55
Démarrer sujet
Quoting: redw1n9s
AA isn't significantly better but he's definitely a better player, playing on a much worse team with a horrible supporting cast. One of the best skaters in the league with the ability to handle the puck at high speeds and finish. There is not a single player in the NHL that could produce playing with the bottom 6 that DET has to offer (maybe Crosby/McDavid/MacKinnon).

Keep in mind he's also an RFA and Gal is a UFA - way different.

I do agree that the RFA and UFA does alter value there.
28 janv. 2020 à 9 h 57
Démarrer sujet
Quoting: Pmanningno2
Galchenyuk couldn't hang with Crosby or Malkin.
Then, when the team needed him most and everybody was injured he couldn't and still cant get more than 10 minutes. Yet the team was able to persevere and win a ton of games.
AA playing with Filpula for most of the year.
It's really not comparable....

Your right, its a small sample size for him playing in pittsburgh. not as relevant
28 janv. 2020 à 16 h 19
torontos finest
Rejoint: juill. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 11,169
Contextually, I think one of the reasons Galcheynuk gets more flack is because he was supposed to be a player beyond what he ended up being. Athanasiou being mediocre is an upside for him, and being comparable to the third overall pick in his draft that's been bounced around looks worse on Galcheynuk.

Quoting: Billy739

unless you're french you dont hear it because English Media only covers Maple Leafs

Toronto had their own coke and party stories a while back. Lupul, Kadri and Bozak were fairly notable offenders iirc.

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Ajouter une option
Soumettre le sondage