RAIF, we might need your services...

What do you mean?
29 nov. 2022 à 18 h 53
May contain nuts
Rejoint: févr. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 2,016
Quoting: rangersandislesfan
What do you mean?

Want to take over MIN in the GM Game? I had to scale back my activity and thus retired.
30 nov. 2022 à 12 h 25
couldnt afford 2nd t
Rejoint: sept. 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 431
The Senators were bridging all their players at this time. I suspect they were trying to win before 2018-19 when many of their key RFA deals would expire. If they did not make this trade, Zibanejad leaves as a UFA. He didn't breakout as a superstar until what would have been his final season under contract with the Senators. That same season, the Senators received a 1st round pick and two B/C type prospects for Matt Duchene. Matt Duchene was on pace for nearly 100 points. It is unlikely that Zibanejad would have returned much more than that.

Ultimately, it is astounding that the Senators were in such a bad spot due to Melnyk's budget that trading away Zibanejad before he broke out wouldn't have changed things one bit. The odds of the Senators signing him to the same mid-term extension the Rangers did was pretty low. He would have been gone as a UFA anyways. The same as Stone, Karlsson, Hoffman, Duchene, etc.
30 nov. 2022 à 21 h 0
Black Lives Matter
Rejoint: mars 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 4,651
Quoting: EmpressKayla
Want to take over MIN in the GM Game? I had to scale back my activity and thus retired.

No thanks, sorry. There are quite a few other things I'm prioritizing right now. Thanks for the offer, though.
21 sept. 2023 à 9 h 51
Leafs going to Leafs
Rejoint: déc. 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 2,911
Quoting: SnakeDelilah
ok but riddle me this

how many times have the rangers made the conference finals with zibanejad? smirk

Once
22 sept. 2023 à 9 h 11
Rejoint: juill. 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 548
Quoting: NoVaSpartan
On the contrary, I don't think this even makes the top 15 most lopsided trades. Luongo to Vancouver, Thornton to San Jose, Marcel Dionne to the Kings, Phil Esposito to Boston, Brett Hull to St Louis, Eric Lindros to Philly, Gretzky to the Kings (obviously), Mark Messier to NYR, Taylor Hall to NJD, Filip Forsberg to NSH, and more are more lopsided.

Lindros to Philadelphia? That trade was bound to end up heavily in favor of one team just because of the sheer size of it, and clearly that team was Quebec. However, before the salary cap, there was an old adage that whoever gets the best player wins the trade, and Lindros was the best player. Forsberg eventually surpassed him, but not until concussions and other injuries ruined Lindros’s career. For 6 or 7 years, he was the dominant player they thought he would be, winning a Hart trophy and taking them to the Stanley Cup final. It took several years before that trade turned in favor of Quebec, which by that time had moved to Colorado.

Quebec/Colorado used this trade to build their first two cup winning teams, but other than Forsberg, most of it wasn’t directly from this trade. It was from subsequent trades that they used to parlay those players and picks into even better players and picks. Some of those trades, which also included other pieces from Colorado, turned out heavily in Colorado’s favor, but I don’t think you can judge this trade by independent trades they made later. For example, one of the draft picks turned out to be Jocelyn Thibault who, 3 ½ years after the Lindros trade, was traded to Montreal with two other players that weren’t part of the Lindros trade for Patrick Roy. It would be a big stretch to say they got Roy for Lindros, and an even bigger stretch to say that Philadelphia could have had Roy if they hadn’t traded for Lindros.

One interesting thing about that trade is that it wasn’t the deal Quebec wanted. They accepted what they thought was a better offer from the New York Rangers, but an arbitrator ruled that the Philadelphia offer had been accepted first. The New York offer doesn’t look as good on paper now, but at that time it may have looked better because the roster players they were offering were better than Philadelphia’s. (Forsberg was still just a prospect playing in Sweden.) The Rangers won the cup not long after that. I wonder if that would have happened if their offer had been accepted. It’s hard to say because I don’t think we know exactly what the package was. Some reports say it included Mike Richter, whom they wouldn’t have won the cup without, but other reports say that the goalie they offered was John Van Biesbrouck. If Richter wasn’t part of it, I think the Rangers would have been even better with Lindros.

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Chargement de l'animation
Soumettre les modifications du sondage