SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Pittsburgh Penguins

How Good Is This Pens Team

15 janv. 2020 à 11 h 36
Banni
Rejoint: sept. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 1,636
@AFOX10900 @dgfresh78 @bigZ98 @JordanFerreira99 @Sidstick87 @Yojimbo @mhockey91 @Chigurrhh

For me, the clear favorites to win the Stanley Cup this year are the Boston Bruins. They have are loaded in every position and they can win games in many different ways. They have the speed to overwhelm you. They have tremendous skill & can play a puck possession game. They play excellent defensively as a 5 man unit. They also have the grit & physicality to grind you down. I don’t think there is a team more complete than them right now. Do you think with a fully healthy Penguins team (excluding Jake), with no additional trades or acquisitions, are good enough to beat a healthy Bruins team in a 7 game series?
Sidstick87 a aimé ceci.
15 janv. 2020 à 11 h 43
bigZ
Rejoint: juin 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 311
Considering hockey no team is ever a total lock to win any 7 game series (tampa last year is one of many examples), however i think that the bruins would probably put up the best fight against the pens in a 7 game series. Lets see how the 2 upcoming games against boston go and we will see how this pens team matches up with them
Dan10900 et mhockey91 a aimé ceci.
15 janv. 2020 à 11 h 56
Rejoint: juin 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 2,706
Quoting: bigZ98
Considering hockey no team is ever a total lock to win any 7 game series (tampa last year is one of many examples), however i think that the bruins would probably put up the best fight against the pens in a 7 game series. Lets see how the 2 upcoming games against boston go and we will see how this pens team matches up with them

I feel like these two games could affect GMJR's decision on who he wants to get at the TDL, who he thinks will match up best vs them, or let it stay/go for a cheaper/different option if they play fine vs the Bruins
bigZ98 a aimé ceci.
15 janv. 2020 à 12 h 1
bigZ
Quoting: AFOX10900
I feel like these two games could affect GMJR's decision on who he wants to get at the TDL, who he thinks will match up best vs them, or let it stay/go for a cheaper/different option if they play fine vs the Bruins

That is a fair statement, and you may be right. I also think it depends on how the first line with McCann and Simon does with Crosby. I dont think the KMR line is gonna slow down, and even if they do it wont be for long. But pens need to make sure Crosby is performing at his level every game and as soon that line looks like it may not be working and a line shuffle doesnt work either he may pull the trigger on a big fish.
Dan10900 a aimé ceci.
15 janv. 2020 à 12 h 2
Rejoint: juin 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 2,706
That is a fair statement, and you may be right. I also think it depends on how the first line with McCann and Simon does with Crosby. I dont think the KMR line is gonna slow down, and even if they do it wont be for long. But pens need to make sure Crosby is performing at his level every game and as soon that line looks like it may not be working and a line shuffle doesnt work either he may pull the trigger on a big fish.

Yeah, he looked great last night, it seemed like he was in the offensive zone every shift lol
15 janv. 2020 à 12 h 52
Démarrer sujet
Banni

Quoting: AFOX10900

Yeah I think no doubt over the next 5 games is going to determine a lot of things for this team. It should be the biggest test of the year. One thing that concerns me about Boston more than any other team is Crosby having to match up against Bergeron. In the 2013 series, the Crosby line got completely shut down and dominated. The Malkin line got run over by the Krejci line. Will they be able to find an answer?
15 janv. 2020 à 13 h 6
Rejoint: avr. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 1,535
I don't really look at it as this team is #1, that one is #2, etc. We've seen 7 seeds beat 1 seeds enough to know that no one is "safe".

You always want more/better players. You can always look at your #12F and #6D and think, if we added so-n-so this guy would get bumped from the lineup, and so-n-so is better than that guy so it is a +. (not that the new guy would take the 4th line spot, just talking about roster) So, yeah, you could do things to make the Pens roster "better", but no, I don't think that it is exactly necessary. There is no one out there that will replace Guentzel, not even half of Guentzel. That includes Zucker and Saad and yadda yadda yadda.

I am fine with Rutherford making moves. I am fine with Rutherford not making moves. The only thing that might bother me is what the two sides of any potential moves looks like.
MajesticWalrus a aimé ceci.
15 janv. 2020 à 13 h 8
bigZ
Quoting: MikeyThePensFan
Yeah I think no doubt over the next 5 games is going to determine a lot of things for this team. It should be the biggest test of the year. One thing that concerns me about Boston more than any other team is Crosby having to match up against Bergeron. In the 2013 series, the Crosby line got completely shut down and dominated. The Malkin line got run over by the Krejci line. Will they be able to find an answer?

The penguins team was also completely different in 2013. Krejci is no where near what he used to be either. It also doesnt matter even if bergeron shuts down Crosby. We have Malkin who has an arguable better line right now, and two other lines which can consistently score. If i am picking between the two based on depth, penguins have the better depth among the two teams
15 janv. 2020 à 13 h 36
Démarrer sujet
Banni
Quoting: Yojimbo
I don't really look at it as this team is #1, that one is #2, etc. We've seen 7 seeds beat 1 seeds enough to know that no one is "safe".

You always want more/better players. You can always look at your #12F and #6D and think, if we added so-n-so this guy would get bumped from the lineup, and so-n-so is better than that guy so it is a +. (not that the new guy would take the 4th line spot, just talking about roster) So, yeah, you could do things to make the Pens roster "better", but no, I don't think that it is exactly necessary. There is no one out there that will replace Guentzel, not even half of Guentzel. That includes Zucker and Saad and yadda yadda yadda.

I am fine with Rutherford making moves. I am fine with Rutherford not making moves. The only thing that might bother me is what the two sides of any potential moves looks like.

I agree. I wouldn’t mind if this is the team that they use for the playoffs, but since it’s Jim Rutherford he’ll always make a move. Hopefully it’s not an overpay but it would be ideal to get someone who has the intensity to play in this system unlike Galchenyuk.
15 janv. 2020 à 13 h 38
Démarrer sujet
Banni
The penguins team was also completely different in 2013. Krejci is no where near what he used to be either. It also doesnt matter even if bergeron shuts down Crosby. We have Malkin who has an arguable better line right now, and two other lines which can consistently score. If i am picking between the two based on depth, penguins have the better depth among the two teams

I think this current Pens team is similar to the 2016 team. In fact, I think they’re even better. Under Sullivan, the speed and structure make it very difficult for other teams to shut them down.
mhockey91 et MajesticWalrus a aimé ceci.
15 janv. 2020 à 13 h 40
Démarrer sujet
Banni
@AFOX10900 @dgfresh78 @bigZ98 @JordanFerreira99 @Sidstick87 @Yojimbo @mhockey91 @Chigurrhh

For me, the clear favorites to win the Stanley Cup this year are the Boston Bruins. They have are loaded in every position and they can win games in many different ways. They have the speed to overwhelm you. They have tremendous skill & can play a puck possession game. They play excellent defensively as a 5 man unit. They also have the grit & physicality to grind you down. I don’t think there is a team more complete than them right now. Do you think with a fully healthy Penguins team (excluding Jake), with no additional trades or acquisitions, are good enough to beat a healthy Bruins team in a 7 game series?

What’d you guys think of Jared McCann? Do you prefer him as third line center or do you think he should be playing with Sid?
15 janv. 2020 à 13 h 43
bigZ
What’d you guys think of Jared McCann? Do you prefer him as third line center or do you think he should be playing with Sid?

Doesnt matter, he plays both roles well. However when Bjugstad returns I would prefer him on crosby's wing for sure
15 janv. 2020 à 13 h 46

I like him at wing better than center, but that is just an open-ice/boards thing.
15 janv. 2020 à 13 h 52
Démarrer sujet
Banni
Doesnt matter, he plays both roles well. However when Bjugstad returns I would prefer him on crosby's wing for sure

I like him at wing better than center, but that is just an open-ice/boards thing.

Yeah I think he’s good in both positions. He’s got great speed and hands, plus his shot is excellent. I think if he wants to be a center full time he needs to improve on his playmaking. Why has Agozzino been playing ahead of Lafferty? How do you guys feel about that?
mhockey91 a aimé ceci.
15 janv. 2020 à 15 h 20
Yeah I think he’s good in both positions. He’s got great speed and hands, plus his shot is excellent. I think if he wants to be a center full time he needs to improve on his playmaking. Why has Agozzino been playing ahead of Lafferty? How do you guys feel about that?

If you try to apply logic to Sullivan's decisions you will fail.
bigZ98 a aimé ceci.
15 janv. 2020 à 15 h 38
bigZ
If you try to apply logic to Sullivan's decisions you will fail.

I agree with this, the man does thing which make you scratch your head but they seem to result in wins so i really dont care as long as we win
15 janv. 2020 à 18 h 15
Chiggy
Rejoint: mai 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 590

The Bruins are very good but I don't think there's anything that puts them clearly over the Caps, Pens, Blues, and Lighting. Bruins are top loaded at forward. Their bottom six isn't great. Meanwhile, Washington has a really good bottom six. Penguins have an excellent line (ZAR, Tanev, Blueger) but we still haven't really seen what they are going to do with a third line with healthy players and roster moves. If the Penguins can figure out that line (basically two guys to play with Hornqvist), they should be better than Boston.

McCann might be the solution at 3C, but then you need another LW. Hopefully Bjugstad can figure it out. Replace Galchenyuk and you are set.
15 janv. 2020 à 18 h 43
Hockey God Genius
Rejoint: juin 2015
Mentions "j'aime": 810

I dont kno what "IT" is but this Pens team def has "IT" this yr. While I love this team and how they play, this team needs to replace Jake's production and get a sniper on PP. But if u look at this team on paper the only holes it has is a RWer w/ Sid bc like ive said since we got him ... McCann is a great top 6 winger & he is now our LWer on top line.
- I also think everyone is sleeping on Juggs bc analytically & defensively & even in faceoffs - Juggs was doing a very good job as 3rd line C... He just was not scoring (but hey Bonino didnt score till playoffs either)
- The other area I think the Pens need is at least 1 tough dude bc we are soft (in terms of fighting & dishing big hits) and Playoff hockey is Big boy hockey

But this team def will add w/ the most cap space we have ever had during season of $3-4m + The $6m from Jake = $10m + The $4.9 when we trade Chucky = $15m
Like that is kind of scary having $15m of Cap space with a fear less Gun Slinging GM too??
BUT yes I see GMJR doing something Huge and bringing someone great in & the entire NHL being mad about it, lol
15 janv. 2020 à 20 h 13
Démarrer sujet
Banni
Quoting: Chigurrhh
The Bruins are very good but I don't think there's anything that puts them clearly over the Caps, Pens, Blues, and Lighting. Bruins are top loaded at forward. Their bottom six isn't great. Meanwhile, Washington has a really good bottom six. Penguins have an excellent line (ZAR, Tanev, Blueger) but we still haven't really seen what they are going to do with a third line with healthy players and roster moves. If the Penguins can figure out that line (basically two guys to play with Hornqvist), they should be better than Boston.

McCann might be the solution at 3C, but then you need another LW. Hopefully Bjugstad can figure it out. Replace Galchenyuk and you are set.

Yeah I agree. The main problem on the third line is Galchenyuk. He’s not fit to play that role with no support around him, but he hasn’t taken his chances with Sid & Geno. If they can get a decent winger who can either play with Sid or on the third line, then they’re pretty much set.
15 janv. 2020 à 20 h 17
Démarrer sujet
Banni
Quoting: Sidstick87
I dont kno what "IT" is but this Pens team def has "IT" this yr. While I love this team and how they play, this team needs to replace Jake's production and get a sniper on PP. But if u look at this team on paper the only holes it has is a RWer w/ Sid bc like ive said since we got him ... McCann is a great top 6 winger & he is now our LWer on top line.
- I also think everyone is sleeping on Juggs bc analytically & defensively & even in faceoffs - Juggs was doing a very good job as 3rd line C... He just was not scoring (but hey Bonino didnt score till playoffs either)
- The other area I think the Pens need is at least 1 tough dude bc we are soft (in terms of fighting & dishing big hits) and Playoff hockey is Big boy hockey

But this team def will add w/ the most cap space we have ever had during season of $3-4m + The $6m from Jake = $10m + The $4.9 when we trade Chucky = $15m
Like that is kind of scary having $15m of Cap space with a fear less Gun Slinging GM too??
BUT yes I see GMJR doing something Huge and bringing someone great in & the entire NHL being mad about it, lol

You are right about Jugs. I actually think he’s got more talent & skill than Bonino, he just needs to stay healthy but he’s got the tools to succeed in his 3C role. I’m sure GMJR will make a trade for Kreider or something, but I actually don’t think they need a big physical guy. The 2016 Penguins didn’t have much grit at all, except Kunitz & Cole. But the Pens have two guys who can play similarly to that: ZAR & Johnson.
16 janv. 2020 à 9 h 25
Hockey God Genius
Rejoint: juin 2015
Mentions "j'aime": 810
You are right about Jugs. I actually think he’s got more talent & skill than Bonino, he just needs to stay healthy but he’s got the tools to succeed in his 3C role. I’m sure GMJR will make a trade for Kreider or something, but I actually don’t think they need a big physical guy. The 2016 Penguins didn’t have much grit at all, except Kunitz & Cole. But the Pens have two guys who can play similarly to that: ZAR & Johnson.

Yah, Ive been digging into Juggs analytics & #'s ... and Juggs has been actually a very good 3C w/ a scary low shooting % and just some bad luck, his face offs have been decent, & + he is a Right handed C (which Sully loves to have). In my overall opinion of him is that he is amuch better RWer that has put all his effort into being a better 2-way player & Centerman. That is why some of his scoring has fallen off. But remember Bonino was horrible here during regular season too tho.
I also get what u say about physical guys but teams like BOS, WSH are going to beat on us. WSH got even more physical this yr too, just saying we need at least 1 guy that is able to fight or put fear into them or they will beat us like rag dolls as usual but really bad this yr. Its kinda sad that our best players Sid & Geno are our only fighters too. I am just tired of them having to defend themselves all the time, ZAR & JJ will hit some but they are not putting a drop of fear into any player.
mhockey91 a aimé ceci.
16 janv. 2020 à 11 h 51
Démarrer sujet
Banni
Quoting: Sidstick87
Yah, Ive been digging into Juggs analytics & #'s ... and Juggs has been actually a very good 3C w/ a scary low shooting % and just some bad luck, his face offs have been decent, & + he is a Right handed C (which Sully loves to have). In my overall opinion of him is that he is amuch better RWer that has put all his effort into being a better 2-way player & Centerman. That is why some of his scoring has fallen off. But remember Bonino was horrible here during regular season too tho.
I also get what u say about physical guys but teams like BOS, WSH are going to beat on us. WSH got even more physical this yr too, just saying we need at least 1 guy that is able to fight or put fear into them or they will beat us like rag dolls as usual but really bad this yr. Its kinda sad that our best players Sid & Geno are our only fighters too. I am just tired of them having to defend themselves all the time, ZAR & JJ will hit some but they are not putting a drop of fear into any player.

I understand and I can see why you want to get someone like Miles Wood. He’s a big, aggressive & physical player but he’s really fast as well which suits Sullivan’s style. The Penguins could give up something like a 2nd Round pick for him & he would do really well on their 3rd line, much better than Galchenyuk. What about Sam Bennett? Could swap him for Galchenyuk 1 for 1. He’s fast, has excellent hands and intimidating as heck. Lines could look like:

McCann-Sid-Simon
Kahun-Malkin-Rust
Wood/Bennett-Bjugstad-Hornqvist
ZAR-Blueger-Tanev

Dumo-Tanger
Pettersson-Schultz
Johnson-Marino
17 janv. 2020 à 21 h 8
Démarrer sujet
Banni
@AFOX10900 @dgfresh78 @bigZ98 @Sidstick87 @Yojimbo @Chigurrhh

Anyone concerned about the ways the Pens have played the last 2 games? They seem a step slow & aren’t playing with much intensity overall. There’s not enough movement in the offensive zone cycle. They’re not forechecking & winning those battles. Trying to play a cute game all puck possession but opponents are locking down all the shooting positions with ease.
17 janv. 2020 à 21 h 14
Rejoint: nov. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 507
Anyone concerned about the ways the Pens have played the last 2 games? They seem a step slow & aren’t playing with much intensity overall. There’s not enough movement in the offensive zone cycle. They’re not forechecking & winning those battles. Trying to play a cute game all puck possession but opponents are locking down all the shooting positions with ease.

I’m not really that worried because they’ve ran into two goalies who have been a thorn in their side for years. I think it’s more bad timing/luck if anything.
17 janv. 2020 à 22 h 7
Démarrer sujet
Banni
Quoting: dgfresh78
I’m not really that worried because they’ve ran into two goalies who have been a thorn in their side for years. I think it’s more bad timing/luck if anything.

Well it looked like they picked up the intensity in the third period & won those battles which led to more scoring opportunities. Overall not impressive for this road trip, especially yesterday. Time to go back home & send a message.

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Ajouter une option
Soumettre le sondage