Forums/Armchair-GM

Thoughts On Mike Babcock

Créé par: AnalyticsGeek
Équipe: 2019-20 Maple Leafs de Toronto
Date de création initiale: 20 nov. 2019
Publié: 20 nov. 2019
Mode - plafond salarial: Basique
Description
I think Mike Babcock was the man to blame for the poor performance of his players. However, I don't think that he is a bad coach. The way he coached just doesn't suit this Leafs team. Mike wanted them to adapt to a heavy grinder style that waits for opponents to mess up. Today’s NHL is attack using north-south speed with d men pinching. Babcock is still looking at the late 90s early 2000s kind of hockey even though the team is not constructed to play that way.
Rachats de contrats
Transactions impliquant une retenue de salaire
Repêchage1e ronde2e ronde3e ronde4e ronde5e ronde6e ronde7e ronde
Logo de TOR
Logo de CBJ
Logo de TOR
Logo de VGK
Logo de TOR
Logo de CAR
Logo de COL
Logo de EDM
Logo de SJS
Logo de STL
Logo de WPG
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
TAILLE DE LA FORMATIONPLAFOND SALARIALCAP HITEXCÉDENTS Info-bulleBONISESPACE SOUS LE PLAFOND SALARIAL
2181 500 000 $81 327 699 $0 $0 $172 301 $
Ailier gaucheCentreAilier droit
Logo de Maple Leafs de Toronto
3 400 000 $3 400 000 $
AG, AD
UFA - 4
11 000 000 $11 000 000 $
C, AG
NMC
UFA - 6
10 893 000 $10 893 000 $
AD
UFA - 6
2 250 000 $2 250 000 $
AD, AG
M-NTC
UFA - 2
11 634 000 $11 634 000 $
C
UFA - 5
6 962 366 $6 962 366 $
AD
UFA - 5
925 000 $925 000 $
AG, AD
UFA - 1
3 500 000 $3 500 000 $
AG, C, AD
UFA - 4
675 000 $675 000 $
C
UFA - 1
750 000 $750 000 $
C
UFA - 1
3 200 000 $3 200 000 $
AD
UFA - 3
775 000 $775 000 $
AG, AD
UFA - 2
Défenseur gaucherDéfenseur droitierGardien de but
5 000 000 $5 000 000 $
DG
UFA - 3
4 500 000 $4 500 000 $
DD
UFA - 1
5 000 000 $5 000 000 $
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
4 000 000 $4 000 000 $
DG
UFA - 1
2 750 000 $2 750 000 $
DD
UFA - 1
675 000 $675 000 $
G
UFA - 1
863 333 $863 333 $
DG/DD
UFA - 1
675 000 $675 000 $
DD
UFA - 1
Laissés de côtéListe des blessés (IR)Liste des blessés à long terme (LTIR)
700 000 $700 000 $
C, AD
NTC
UFA - 1
5 300 000 $5 300 000 $
AD
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1
5 250 000 $5 250 000 $
AD
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1

Code d'intégration

• Pour afficher cette équipe sur un autre site Web ou blog, ajoutez ce iFrame à la page appropriée
  • Personnalisez les dimensions dans le code IFrame ci-dessous pour adapter votre site de manière appropriée. Minimum recommandé: 400px.

Texte intégré

Cliquer pour surligner
20 nov. 2019 à 19 h 5
i hope ur hungry now
Rejoint: oct. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 978
The babclock has expired
20 nov. 2019 à 19 h 5
Math and Sports
Rejoint: mai 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 162
ACGM: Babcock is not a bad coach.

Also ACGM: Proceeds to give explanation of how Babcock is an outdated coach still living in the 90's and is thereby a bad coach.
20 nov. 2019 à 19 h 9
Démarrer sujet
Banni
Rejoint: sept. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 1,636
Quoting: SpaghettiPasta
The babclock has expired

Good one.
20 nov. 2019 à 19 h 9
Démarrer sujet
Banni
Quoting: TheCelt
ACGM: Babcock is not a bad coach.

Also ACGM: Proceeds to give explanation of how Babcock is an outdated coach still living in the 90's and is thereby a bad coach.

Well, just because his coaching style is outdated doesn't mean he's bad overall. I mean, he still won a lot of silverware before this era.
20 nov. 2019 à 19 h 29
Habs4life
Rejoint: févr. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 37
Funny he was coaching well when Lou was the G.M. They turned the team around pretty quickly.

Now he needs to go. hmmm.
20 nov. 2019 à 19 h 34
Pens Rule!
Rejoint: juin 2015
Mentions "j'aime": 26
Quoting: MikeyThePensFan
Well, just because his coaching style is outdated doesn't mean he's bad overall. I mean, he still won a lot of silverware before this era.

The Islanders have no problem with that style of play. Run and gun works best when you have highly skilled players like the Leafs and Pens. They still have to play sound defense to win.
20 nov. 2019 à 19 h 44
Démarrer sujet
Banni
Quoting: Captain_Koivu_
Funny he was coaching well when Lou was the G.M. They turned the team around pretty quickly.

Now he needs to go. hmmm.

Babcock and Lou had a great working relationship. Lou supported the way Babs wanted to coach and he brought in the players for it.
20 nov. 2019 à 19 h 46
Démarrer sujet
Banni
Quoting: coffey77
The Islanders have no problem with that style of play. Run and gun works best when you have highly skilled players like the Leafs and Pens. They still have to play sound defense to win.

One issue is no defence, another is no forecheck or urgency away from the puck. No speed either.
BOLTLOVER1 a aimé ceci.
20 nov. 2019 à 20 h 0
Rejoint: mai 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 253
People repeat the same bits all over the place on social media: Babcock played a defensive style, Babcock wants a system where players wait for opponents to mess up, Babcock believed in an outdated style of play.

Not the case. It's the opposite. Babcock always preached an offensive style. He's the one who introduced the trademark North-South stretch pass system we used all these years, with Gardiner at QB. His "defensive system" had nothing conventional. He wanted players to put intense pressure along the boards to regain possession (read: puck chasing), by outnumbering the puck carrier, with the hope of generating fast counter-attacks. Instead of a more conservative, positional play.

We are the second worst defensive team in the league! If Babcock taught a defensive style, we would lose games 2-1. Not the case. The problem is, the defensive system was lacking in the first place, and he couldn't find a solution to it this year.

My guess: this run and gun system, with intense pressure on puck carriers, worked in the past because the lineup was more balanced. And we had players who had been trained with that system for years. They knew Gardiner would reach them with a pass if they cheated. Change the lineup, and new players are not used to that. They don't know where to go, make errors, which leads to silly looking goals.
20 nov. 2019 à 20 h 19
BOLT LOVER
Rejoint: déc. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 358
Not going to change.. Toronto worst 11 to 20 players in NHL outside of Ottawa .. I mean awful on D and the talented prima Donna's on top lines are girlie girlies.. team needs an enima.. coach always first to go .. question is Nylander or Matthew's next or the GM?
20 nov. 2019 à 20 h 30
Rejoint: mai 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 1,540
Quoting: leaflet
People repeat the same bits all over the place on social media: Babcock played a defensive style, Babcock wants a system where players wait for opponents to mess up, Babcock believed in an outdated style of play.

Not the case. It's the opposite. Babcock always preached an offensive style. He's the one who introduced the trademark North-South stretch pass system we used all these years, with Gardiner at QB. His "defensive system" had nothing conventional. He wanted players to put intense pressure along the boards to regain possession (read: puck chasing), by outnumbering the puck carrier, with the hope of generating fast counter-attacks. Instead of a more conservative, positional play.

We are the second worst defensive team in the league! If Babcock taught a defensive style, we would lose games 2-1. Not the case. The problem is, the defensive system was lacking in the first place, and he couldn't find a solution to it this year.

My guess: this run and gun system, with intense pressure on puck carriers, worked in the past because the lineup was more balanced. And we had players who had been trained with that system for years. They knew Gardiner would reach them with a pass if they cheated. Change the lineup, and new players are not used to that. They don't know where to go, make errors, which leads to silly looking goals.

That's a pretty solid assessment, I think. I was of the thinking that he handcuffed the strength of team in favour of defense play. But your take makes alot of sense . They look lost out there so much this year. It'll be interesting to see how they look witt with Keefe in place
leaflet a aimé ceci.
20 nov. 2019 à 22 h 36
Rejoint: mai 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 253
Quoting: blowing_the_zone
That's a pretty solid assessment, I think. I was of the thinking that he handcuffed the strength of team in favour of defense play. But your take makes alot of sense . They look lost out there so much this year. It'll be interesting to see how they look witt with Keefe in place

Thanks! The change will help, I'm sure. Keefe is a mystery to me, but players needed someone new behind the bench.

My quibble with Babcock was that, ironically maybe, he was not conventional enough. Most coaches would cut their bench if trailing in the third period. They would play Matthews 20 minutes or more. They would have tried Barrie on the first PP if things didn't work for 10 games. I think I would have been happy with any "normal" NHL coach at this point.
blowing_the_zone a aimé ceci.
21 nov. 2019 à 0 h 10
Banni
Rejoint: juin 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 4,837
teams have to pick an identity and stick with it.
If you are going to be a speed team and you want to add physicality to it, then you need to find those bigger faster players who can do that.
TOR really didn't do that. But that isn't the biggest issue here. The biggest issue is the defense sucks. They don't have a true #1 pair on the team, and that's where it starts.
21 nov. 2019 à 19 h 48
Pens Rule!
Rejoint: juin 2015
Mentions "j'aime": 26
One issue is no defence, another is no forecheck or urgency away from the puck. No speed either.

So your saying they suck.smirk
21 nov. 2019 à 20 h 47
Démarrer sujet
Banni
Quoting: leaflet

Well, I think Babcock wanted to play with north-south speed system when he first started to coach following the draft lottery in 2016/17, but after their 1st round loss to the Bruins in 2017/18, he decided to play a more physical system which didn't suit the players. He thought the issue was his players weren't tough enough, even though the real issue was that the defence wasn't good enough and therefore he never fixed it.
21 nov. 2019 à 20 h 51
Démarrer sujet
Banni
Quoting: pharrow
teams have to pick an identity and stick with it.
If you are going to be a speed team and you want to add physicality to it, then you need to find those bigger faster players who can do that.
TOR really didn't do that. But that isn't the biggest issue here. The biggest issue is the defense sucks. They don't have a true #1 pair on the team, and that's where it starts.

Yeah what I felt was that Babcock changed the team's identity even though the biggest issue was the defence that he never bothered fixing.
21 nov. 2019 à 20 h 51
Démarrer sujet
Banni
Quoting: coffey77
So your saying they suck.smirk

Given the way this Leafs team has played, they are a lottery team.
21 nov. 2019 à 22 h 34
Banni
Rejoint: juin 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 4,837
Yeah what I felt was that Babcock changed the team's identity even though the biggest issue was the defence that he never bothered fixing.

It's not babcock's job to fix the defense. That's on the GM. He's the guy who does the contracts. At the end of the day if GMJR brings in the wrong guys the coach gets scapegoated but it's the GM's fault.
Same is true with Babs. I'm sure there is more to that whole situation than what is public but there is also no doubt that they ran rug-shot all over Dubas.
But they get to rebuild that defense in the off season, 5 of them are FA. They can go from there.
22 nov. 2019 à 9 h 22
Démarrer sujet
Banni
Quoting: pharrow
It's not babcock's job to fix the defense. That's on the GM. He's the guy who does the contracts. At the end of the day if GMJR brings in the wrong guys the coach gets scapegoated but it's the GM's fault.
Same is true with Babs. I'm sure there is more to that whole situation than what is public but there is also no doubt that they ran rug-shot all over Dubas.
But they get to rebuild that defense in the off season, 5 of them are FA. They can go from there.

You're right actually, I agree. If the Leafs were losing games by a score of 1-2 every night, then blame the coach for not able to generate any offence. However, they're giving up 5-6 goals a game, you have to think there's pressure on the GM for bringing in guys like Ceci and Barrie who can't play defence. Babcock has actually done a good job developing Rielly, Dermott and Holl to improve their defensive game.

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Ajouter une option
Soumettre le sondage