SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Signings

Arizona Coyotes signed Darcy Kuemper (2 Years / $4,500,000 AAV)

Was this a good signing?
Le graphique a été masqué

Options de sondage

2 oct. 2019 à 14 h 51
Rejoint: avr. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 1,535
Quoting: DSZ
This makes no sense Kuemper literally was one of the only reasons why the Coyotes were even sniffing playoffs last season

There is also a reason why the season before Kuemper took a pay cut to $750K and was then traded for a bag of used pucks half way through the season. And it is not like he is a 23 year old goalie that just needed to find his footing. he is an okay backup type at best.
rollie1967 et Zwui21 a aimé ceci.
2 oct. 2019 à 15 h 12
Rejoint: déc. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 3,523
Raanta was the bad deal, not Kuemper. Raanta is always injured and pretty much worthless. I think this deal is pretty reasonable.
2 oct. 2019 à 15 h 18
Former Hockey Fan
Rejoint: juin 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 10,516
Quoting: DragonRaptorHybrid
I doubt that. Comrie hasn't proven much at the NHL level, compared to Raanta or Kuemper. Comrie appears to be more of an insurance option for Raanta's nagging minor injuries at the moment.

That makes more sense. Also I though Raanta was a UFA after this year, but he has 2 years left.
2 oct. 2019 à 15 h 28
Emotionally in 2018
Rejoint: nov. 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 3,387
I don't think people are realizing just how good Kuemper was last year. He finished 5th in the Vezina voting and kept the Coyotes in it down the stretch. Given the contracts that Chayka has already handed out to his core, this won't be a deal that hampers them if Kuemper doesn't play like a starter. I personally would've waited a little bit to see if Kuemper could prove he can play like a #1 for the whole season, but they did it now for a lower AAV.
rangersandislesfan, DragonRaptorHybrid, RawDeal and 1 other person a aimé ceci.
2 oct. 2019 à 15 h 31
Rejoint: mai 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 153
Quoting: DrumMan44
Almost $9 million on goaltending gets your Raanta and Kuemper?

Well yeah. They're both really good, especially Raanta.
2 oct. 2019 à 15 h 50
Sensible Commentary
Rejoint: juill. 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 536
Quoting: krakowitz
I personally would've waited a little bit to see if Kuemper could prove he can play like a #1 for the whole season, but they did it now for a lower AAV.
To me, this contract fits more in line with Chayka's apparent MO. Negotiations probably went something along the lines of "well, we're giving you this much because you did staggeringly well last season, but we don't know if that's a mirage or not, so this amount of money is based on a comparable contract (like Jordan Binnington's, say)." if Chayka had let negotiations drag on into the season, and Kuemper played like a man possessed, the latter would rightfully have demanded more money.
OldNYIfan a aimé ceci.
2 oct. 2019 à 15 h 55
torontos finest
Rejoint: juill. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 11,169
This isn't an awful contract. If Kuemper continues to play well, they'll have two good goaltenders for the next two seasons.
2 oct. 2019 à 17 h 13
Rejoint: mai 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 271
Kuemper had good numbers last year, it would be a stretch to say hes a proven #1. The fact they already have Raanta signed is an issue. The idea that a tandem works where the work and salary is split close to 50/50 has not been proven(starters have lost their jobs to up and comers- but they werent paid like starters, nor expected to split duties). It didnt work with Dallas (Lehtonen/Niemi), NYI (Greiss/Halak/then Lehner) nor the multiple times the Flyers and Blues have tried it. While the cap hit for goalies for Arizona is only 6.8 this year- it jumps to 9.4 next year, if it was affective this season- that would put them #2 (behind Boston-9.75m) in goalie costs among the top cup contenders ( Bos. Dall . Vegas, TBay, Wash, Colo, Tor, St.L, Pit) .
If they were to move Raanta, or figured he was to spend most if not all season on the LTIR- then this would be an ok back-up plan (pun intended). They do have two good prospects in net: Adin Hill and Ivan Prosvetov ( a few years away for Ivan).
OldNYIfan a aimé ceci.
2 oct. 2019 à 17 h 45
Once a Kings Fan Too
Rejoint: juin 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 24,604
And let's not forget the effect of the expansion draft in two summers.
2 oct. 2019 à 18 h 12
Sensible Commentary
Rejoint: juill. 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 536
Quoting: rollie1967
Kuemper had good numbers last year, it would be a stretch to say hes a proven #1. The fact they already have Raanta signed is an issue. The idea that a tandem works where the work and salary is split close to 50/50 has not been proven(starters have lost their jobs to up and comers- but they werent paid like starters, nor expected to split duties). It didnt work with Dallas (Lehtonen/Niemi), NYI (Greiss/Halak/then Lehner) nor the multiple times the Flyers and Blues have tried it. While the cap hit for goalies for Arizona is only 6.8 this year- it jumps to 9.4 next year, if it was affective this season- that would put them #2 (behind Boston-9.75m) in goalie costs among the top cup contenders ( Bos. Dall . Vegas, TBay, Wash, Colo, Tor, St.L, Pit) .
If they were to move Raanta, or figured he was to spend most if not all season on the LTIR- then this would be an ok back-up plan (pun intended). They do have two good prospects in net: Adin Hill and Ivan Prosvetov ( a few years away for Ivan).
"sir, this is a Wendy's."

jokes aside, one seems to be conveniently forgetting the facts that:
a) the Islanders made the playoffs at all due to Greiss and Lehner's goaltending, when noooooobody expected them to, and also in spite of their 223 goals for over the season, more than 20 below league average;
b) the Bruins, oh, I dunno, made the playoffs and the Stanley Cup Finals in the first place because Halák's goaltending was good enough in a tandem role to get the Bruins through Rask's slumps, thus not working Rask nearly as hard as compared to if he had played 60+ games and giving him enough gas in the tank to carry the Bruins through the playoffs.

sure, Rask and Halák aren't paid close to the same, but that's more due to the paradigm of paying goaltenders that still exists and hasn't really changed yet across the league.
2 oct. 2019 à 19 h 13
Rejoint: mai 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 12
$4.5 Million for a goalie who would be 3rd string on any other team?
2 oct. 2019 à 19 h 51
Rejoint: déc. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 3,523
34 Yes's and 34 No's. I guess I'll break the tie.

YES, but why now? What if he has a down season? What's the rush?
2 oct. 2019 à 20 h 18
Isles For Life
Rejoint: mai 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 190
I've liked Kuemper since he was on the Wild. He was a very good goalie and if he keeps it up this will look like an absolute steal. Raanta is injury-prone and clearly proving he isn't the best starter, so for this kind of cash Kuemper is a highly reliable fall-back guy if Raanta goes rotten or gets injured.
22 oct. 2020 à 15 h 53
Brad Boyes please Wq
Rejoint: août 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 714
Oooooooooooooh man this is starting to be one of the best Goalie Contracts in the NHL
OldNYIfan et VijayPatel11 a aimé ceci.
2 janv. 2021 à 17 h 26
In Zito We Trust
Rejoint: oct. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 1,596
Quoting: DavidAyers
Oooooooooooooh man this is starting to be one of the best Goalie Contracts in the NHL

yeah, it's really funny looking back through all of these responses and seeing how wrong so many people were
2 janv. 2021 à 18 h 16
Former Hockey Fan
Rejoint: juin 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 10,516
Quoting: Kotkaniemi15
With this & the Comrie claim, goodbye Antti Raanta.

Actually, no.
Remus a aimé ceci.
30 juin 2021 à 10 h 57
Bedard23
Rejoint: mai 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 4,439
Quoting: Zwui21
That is a lot of ****ing money for Kuemper.

I’m willing to bet you last year had Kuemper not gotten injured he would’ve won the Vezina

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Chargement de l'animation
Soumettre les modifications du sondage