SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

Thought experiment - Why is it ok to overpay UFA's but not RFA's?

25 sept. 2019 à 15 h 36
Démarrer sujet
Rejoint: mai 2015
Mentions "j'aime": 6,714
Quoting: DragonRaptorHybrid
I think I agree with the general premise. A couple of thoughts:
1) I think part of it is also the mentality of Hockey Men, a predominantly conservative group of people, to say "well, the young players need to pay their dues" or some BS and that older players "have earned it," whatever that means.
2) As an aside, do you think John Chayka's long-term signings with the Coyotes are smart bets to make?

I agree 10000% with thought #1. Many of these GM's are either ex players that played back when they didn't make nearly as much as they do today or they are hockey minds from a soon to be forgotten time where "I don't care if you score 100 points, you have to earn it kiddo. Thats just the way its always been and always will and I'll die before I let some punk think he's worth more Crosby!"...... rolling eyes

Regarding #2, that's tricky because other than Chayka and maybe to an extent Dubas, we don't have a ton of data to base a formulated opinion on. Chayka's contracts for example may or may not be constituted as bad contracts in a certain way but we also don't know if he just happens to be the 1/10 that would do it that way. We won't know until the league in general adopts the ideology.

Chayka overpaid Keller, Schmaltz, Chychrun and Dvorak but I think most of us feel that even though those players are not producing enough for them to be worth what they are making now, they certainly will be worth it in a couple years. Now while all these guys are talented players, they've all either had at least 1 difficult year, injured, low producing year etc that gives risk to wanting to sign them long term. Whats the excuse against Marner? He's been improving every year and hasn't had a single year in which to give one doubt.
DragonRaptorHybrid a aimé ceci.
25 sept. 2019 à 15 h 43
Démarrer sujet
Rejoint: mai 2015
Mentions "j'aime": 6,714
Quoting: hanson493
Exactly. I think players/ the league should look into having shorter RFA period but longer ELC periods. that way you meet in the middle on contracts. i agree with what you are saying about marner. I dont project him to be a 70-75 point player (As long as tavares and marner both remain healthy). That being said hes still making more than any rfa forward will get over 6 years annually. point would have to sign a 15.036 aav contract to meet that same aav marner has.

Yeah but Im not talking about changing the rules, even though that would be actual best thing for the players. I'm just suggesting that this idea of paying UFA's based on a long list of accomplishments is worse than paying an RFA based on future potential. One has almost no chance of meeting those expectations the other has the statistical data to prove he should be able based on the age and progression of players abilities.

Just as an aside, the Point contract is the anti-Marner contract. If anyone uses Points contract as basis for theirs its simply using the bottom of the spectrum with Marner being the higher of the spectrum. Both are the extremes and should not be taken as perfect. IMO

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Ajouter une option
Soumettre le sondage