SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Signings

Toronto Maple Leafs signed Mitchell Marner (6 Years / $10,903,000 AAV)

Was this a good signing?
Le graphique a été masqué

Options de sondage

15 sept. 2019 à 0 h 16
Rejoint: juin 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 12
As a Wild fan at least the Leafs are overpaying for young, top players. Worried aboot (Canadien spelling) your cap? We'll do Parise for Marner straight up. You should get a cup out of this squad before you suffer the down years. We'll get a consistent playoff early exit and still suffer the same fate.
15 sept. 2019 à 21 h 22
Rejoint: juin 2015
Mentions "j'aime": 142
Kind of get annoyed by people grilling the leafs for overpaying their players. They are maybe paying 1mil more than what they should on that term, but tell me a team that doesn’t have at least a couple contracts that they are paying 1-2m too much on... Because say what you want about the Marner and Matthews contracts about being too high, because other than that the leafs have essentially ZERO contracts of overpaid players. (Say what you will about Ceci but let’s see him first and there was no negotiating that contract and it’s one year.) Look at all those teams that have signed UfAs in that 5-8 million range, those teams are overpaying far more than the leafs are.
Tell me a team that doesn’t have at least one guy that is making 1-2mil too much... If I’m gonna overpay for a player, I would rather do it on Matthews and Marner.

There’s my rant.
thelastlongbow a aimé ceci.
16 sept. 2019 à 11 h 7
Rejoint: mai 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 176
Another over payment on an RFA by the Leafs. Is Marner that much better than Kane and Kucherov coming out of their ELC's? I suppose each team wastes a bit of money somewhere in the lineup, so perhaps this strategy of getting bent over in RFA negotiations doesn't give you the cap space to drunkenly spend on July 1 for some guy on the back 9 of his career. Leafs will need a steady stream of low cost ELC's and one year prove-it / career rehab type deals as they go through the next 5 years to round out their roster.
16 sept. 2019 à 12 h 8
Rejoint: janv. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 335
Quoting: DonkeyLips
Overpaid. Bum. Should have traded him. Not worth it. He didn't cut the leafs a break. Boo him every game.

"he didn't cut the leafs a break?" lol what kind of comment is that?!?! tavares didn't cut the leafs a break, neither did nylander, neither did matthews... so why should marner have? this is TML's fault not Marner's at all. this is a fair contract compared to the others that Dubas signed over the past 2 years.
16 sept. 2019 à 12 h 24
Rejoint: sept. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 0
Quoting: MN_Wild_Cup_someday
As a Wild fan at least the Leafs are overpaying for young, top players. Worried aboot (Canadien spelling) your cap? We'll do Parise for Marner straight up. You should get a cup out of this squad before you suffer the down years. We'll get a consistent playoff early exit and still suffer the same fate.

Oh yeah the leafs should just be like the wild and spend lots of money and term on 28 or older players for 8-12 years what a great idea
16 sept. 2019 à 15 h 13
Mentions "j'aime": 373
Quoting: canucks_Fan_53
"he didn't cut the leafs a break?" lol what kind of comment is that?!?! tavares didn't cut the leafs a break, neither did nylander, neither did matthews... so why should marner have? this is TML's fault not Marner's at all. this is a fair contract compared to the others that Dubas signed over the past 2 years.

Wrong. Playing for the leafs is an honor and a privilege. He should have signed for a quarter of that.
16 sept. 2019 à 15 h 27
Mentions "j'aime": 335
Wrong. Playing for the leafs is an honor and a privilege. He should have signed for a quarter of that.

haha no, wrong again, playing for the leafs/leafs fan base is so bad that these guys need all the extra money for therapy to cope with the critisism, and 'hero to zero mentality' that is the leafs fan base. Marner was Tor's hometown hero at the end of the season, now the fan base wants him traded 5 months later. gonna need rehab for that whiplash
16 sept. 2019 à 15 h 41
torontos finest
Rejoint: juill. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 11,169
haha no, wrong again, playing for the leafs/leafs fan base is so bad that these guys need all the extra money for therapy to cope with the critisism, and 'hero to zero mentality' that is the leafs fan base. Marner was Tor's hometown hero at the end of the season, now the fan base wants him traded 5 months later. gonna need rehab for that whiplash

i'd take the angry chuds in toronto over the arsonists in vancouver.
canucks_Fan_53 a aimé ceci.
16 sept. 2019 à 15 h 54

Marner is ungrateful. Should be ashamed of himself.
18 sept. 2019 à 17 h 23
Buljujarvi
Rejoint: juill. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 2,552
Quoting: habs_fan123
can we get some effs in chat for the leafs cap

F
21 sept. 2019 à 19 h 21
Majors and minors
Rejoint: mai 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 44
Quoting: HabsForEver
It doesn't matter. AAV is 10.9 Million for all 6 years

tell that to OV and Crosby
21 sept. 2019 à 19 h 28
Majors and minors
Rejoint: mai 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 44
Quoting: rootferdukes
Signing bonuses are very much applicable to escrow (and can be a significant driver of any year's given escrow %); escrow amounts are all about "Actual Club Salary" (i.e. the actual dollar amounts paid out by clubs in a given year) and whether or not the aggregated Actual Club Salary exceeds the aggregated salary cap/floor midpoint in any given quarter.

this doesn't make sense n allow me to explain:

Marner earns 16 mil this year w 15.3 signing bonus... so ur saying it's applicable, that means in your opinion, come July 1st 15.3 less escrow % (if it's 15% = 13 or just over). there's no incentive of signing bonus other than time n I think u better look that up again
23 sept. 2019 à 15 h 31
Mentions "j'aime": 2,240
Quoting: CoraStorm
tell that to OV and Crosby

Not sure what you mean by this. I'm aware of what Ovi and Crosby make
29 sept. 2019 à 15 h 11
i hope ur hungry now
Rejoint: oct. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 978
Quoting: ConnorMcHellebucyk
F

F
ConnorMcHellebucyk a aimé ceci.
30 sept. 2019 à 9 h 55
Rejoint: juill. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 246
Quoting: CoraStorm
this doesn't make sense n allow me to explain:

Marner earns 16 mil this year w 15.3 signing bonus... so ur saying it's applicable, that means in your opinion, come July 1st 15.3 less escrow % (if it's 15% = 13 or just over). there's no incentive of signing bonus other than time n I think u better look that up again

Escrow does apply to signing bonus, but there are advantages to signing bonus over straight salary other than escrow. Because signing bonuses are paid in the summer, a player can end up paying significantly less tax depending on where their full time home is. Also, even if they live in the same place as they play, it's easier when getting one big amount to protect it from tax by sending it directly to an RCA, RRSP, or any other tax shelter. The time value of money is also quite significant in these scenarios as it allows players to invest very large sums of money, tax deferred, all at once. For a player like Marner, getting the nearly half of his salary paid out inside of 12 months allows for years of growth on a substantial part of his total contract value that would not have been possible if the money was more evenly distributed or back loaded.
15 janv. 2020 à 7 h 8
Respect players
Rejoint: janv. 2020
Overpaid. Bum. Should have traded him. Not worth it. He didnt cut the leafs a break. Boo him every game.

Overpaid. Bum. Should have traded him. Not worth it. He didnt cut the leafs a break. Boo him every game.

Wow-first poster calls Mitch Marner an overpaid bum. I have trained Mitch and he is a world-class player and great person. Listen to what other coaches and players say about him. I really dislike people like you who probably never played even AAA hockey call a world-class player an overpaid bum. All the players make much more money now. I guess you are so knowledgable about hockey that you call Marner a bum-get a life!!
15 janv. 2020 à 10 h 4
Quoting: Miehmer
Wow-first poster calls Mitch Marner an overpaid bum. I have trained Mitch and he is a world-class player and great person. Listen to what other coaches and players say about him. I really dislike people like you who probably never played even AAA hockey call a world-class player an overpaid bum. All the players make much more money now. I guess you are so knowledgable about hockey that you call Marner a bum-get a life!!

AAA hockey? Buddy, I don't even know how to skate. But none of that matters because I know a bum when I see one. You trained him? Is that why he is so bad at what he does?
5 févr. 2020 à 9 h 9
Respect players
Rejoint: janv. 2020
Yes I trained him when he was young. I don't understand why you would say he is so bad at what he does?? You can have your opinion obviously but you are wrong. It actually does matter as if you can't skate. When did you become an expert on hockey. Funny how cocky people are when they hide behind their computers. He is a world class athlete-not a bum. Anyway done discussing with a person who calls people they don't even know a bum. You said you know a bum when you see one so what about Marner makes him a bum in your eyes??

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Chargement de l'animation
Soumettre les modifications du sondage