Who won the trade?
Le graphique a été masqué

Options de sondage

4 avr. 2018 à 16 h 7
HawksFan28
Rejoint: déc. 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 138
Quoting: F50marco
What??No its not even close. At least not at the current time. Larsson doesn't even hold Weber's jock strap right now.....Habs lost the Subban deal, that anyone would agree with but people need to dismiss this notion that Weber sucks or something. He's been very good for Montreal. Yeah he's probably going to be worse eventually but let it happen before assuming it already has. Larsson on the other hand is what exactly? Barely a top 4 dman. A defensive low scoring one to boot......

Hall for Larsson will go down as one of the worst trades in NHL history the way Hall is playing right now. Weber for Subban will simply be a bad trade for Montreal.

Of course Nashville won the Weber/Subban deal... I agree with that.

The Hall for Larsson trade was needed and wasn't "bad" at the time. I think there's just something wrong with Edmonton, so I'm not going to toss Larsson under the bus.

Oh and Hall for Larsson isn't even close to being one of the worst trades in NHL history, lol.... Sure maybe one of the worst 100 trades all time but nowhere close to "one of the worst".... I've been watching and following hockey for 35 years and I can name many over the years that would top that trade.
4 avr. 2018 à 17 h 7
Rejoint: juin 2015
Mentions "j'aime": 6,980
Quoting: HawksFan28

The Hall for Larsson trade was needed and wasn't "bad" at the time. I think there's just something wrong with Edmonton, so I'm not going to toss Larsson under the bus.

Oh and Hall for Larsson isn't even close to being one of the worst trades in NHL history, lol.... Sure maybe one of the worst 100 trades all time but nowhere close to "one of the worst".... I've been watching and following hockey for 35 years and I can name many over the years that would top that trade.

ill give you several reasons why its one of the worst of all time:
at the time of the trade, hall was regarded as an elite winger. he had reached a PPG plateau twice in his career. even the year of the trade he still had 65 points for an "off year". NJD knew exactly what they were getting and EDM knew exactly what they were trading. an elite winger.
Larsson on the other hand was known as a steady, stay at home top 4 D. there was no upside to his game. his career peak would be a #2defensive D AT BEST.

in other terrible trades there were a lot of intangibles. ex: the Markus naslaund trade which is currently noted as one of the worst trades in NHL history. at the time of that trade naslaund hadn't proved much and Alek Stojanov was a top prospect. there were certainly alot of intangibles in that trade and obviously it didnt work out for the penguins but it could have as they were both young unproven players.

hall for Larsson both players were established NHLers and you knew exactly what you were going to get with both of them. thats why I believe its one of the worst trades in NHL history.
6 avr. 2018 à 7 h 47
Rejoint: mars 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 2,820
Quoting: ON3M4N
Well of course straight up Weber is the better player. But look at what MTL did. They locked themselves into an additional 8 years & nearly $64 million for a guy who maybe isn't even an upgrade over Subban. Prior to the Hall trade, Hall had played well, but had missed serious time with injuries. Looking at Hall and how things were going at the time of the trade...I don't think it was that bad. You also have to figure that w/ McDavid coming in they wanted to make him Captain and with Hall there it would have made things weird. There were other reports that Hall didn't really listen to management or coaches and did his own thing (no idea how true that is).

Honestly it could have just been that EDM wasn't the best place for Hall. I know it sounds weird and a lot of people overlook it, but some guys just don't fall into the ideal situation best for their development and growth. Who knows, maybe if Hall isn't trade he still giving EDM 20-25 goals and 30-40 assist ...but that's not the 39/54 player he currently is in with NJ.

Its an interesting discussion when you look at then and now.

I always wonder what would have happened if Seguin went to EDM #1 and Boston got Hall at #2

Doesn't matter. Chiarelli would have traded both of them for ****.
9 avr. 2018 à 14 h 37
Rejoint: mai 2015
Mentions "j'aime": 6,693
Quoting: HawksFan28

Sorry man can't compare trades back in the 70's when teams made willy-nilly trades without common knowledge being spread around. It was a lot easier to make bad trades back then. if you wanted to know about a player, you literally had to go meet him. Know a days you can go online and find just about everything you need to know.

I will however rephrase, So far, the Hall for Larsson trade , is looking like one of the worst in modern day NHL history.

There technically is still a chance for Larsson to become much better player and Hall to become much worse.
mhockey91 a aimé ceci.
10 avr. 2018 à 10 h 43
BigBeardBurns
Rejoint: févr. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 535
And look at where we are 2 years later...Devils still winning the trade lol.
17 avr. 2018 à 18 h 16
HawksFan28
Rejoint: déc. 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 138
Since this trade pisses so many people off I'm glad it was made. lol

;-p
17 oct. 2019 à 21 h 21
i hope ur hungry now
Rejoint: oct. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 978
Quoting: rangersandislesfan
Apparently Hall almost got traded for Ceci straight up.

Wtf.
27 oct. 2020 à 13 h 55
Buljujarvi
Rejoint: juill. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 2,552
Reliving the pain
18 nov. 2020 à 15 h 31
Buljujarvi
Rejoint: juill. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 2,552
Work through the pain
28 nov. 2020 à 23 h 2
Rejoint: nov. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 1,406
Quoting: BigBeardBurns
And look at where we are 2 years later...Devils still winning the trade lol.

Actually they because the hall deal was a disaster and a terrible trade for pk.
29 juin 2021 à 12 h 37
Speak of the Devil
Rejoint: nov. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 26,426
5 Years Ago Today

wink
Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
29 juin 2021 à 17 h 15
GO FLAMES GO
Rejoint: sept. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 10,557
Quoting: Devil1122
5 Years Ago Today

wink

Do the devils have much from the Hall to Arizona trade? If so they won this trade
29 juin 2021 à 17 h 27
Speak of the Devil
Rejoint: nov. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 26,426
Quoting: Gmonwy
Do the devils have much from the Hall to Arizona trade? If so they won this trade

Dawson Mercer - Devils second best prospect (behind Holtz)
Kevin Bahl - Devils second best defensive prospect (behind Mukamadullin)
Nick Merkley - Decent bottom 6 forward
Nathan Schanarr - Meh prospect
3rd round pick this year

Devils fleeced the Coyotes in this trade

And got an MVP year out of Hall

The Devils won the Larsson for Hall trade
Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
23 juill. 2021 à 9 h 3
GO FLAMES GO
Rejoint: sept. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 10,557
Neither team have there player anymore.
5 juin 2023 à 13 h 52
Leafs going to Leafs
Rejoint: déc. 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 2,768
This trade blows for EDM... They got nothing for Larsson while NJD got a ton for Hall
IconicHawk a aimé ceci.
5 juin 2023 à 17 h 21
Bedard23
Rejoint: mai 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 4,439
Quoting: Gmonwy
Neither team have there player anymore.

But at least New Jersey got something for their’s while Edmonton lost their’s for nothing
6 juin 2023 à 15 h 22
couldnt afford 2nd t
Rejoint: sept. 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 430
Quoting: Leafsfan98
This trade blows for EDM... They got nothing for Larsson while NJD got a ton for Hall

Seattle took Larsson in the 2021 expansion draft. So Edmonton got whatever their second best unprotected player was.

With the benefit of hindsight, I think the trade was overblown. Hall peaked with his MVP season, but then took a step back due to injuries and is no longer a superstar. The Devils made the playoffs once off of the back of Hall's MVP season, but otherwise did nothing with him. The Coyotes only got into the playoffs due to the expanded play-in format. Larsson was good in Edmonton for a year or two. You could argue that Hall was more of a difference maker for New Jersey than Larsson was for Edmonton, but I don't think he would have been as effective on an Edmonton team that was already stacked offensively.

It has been years, and we haven't heard of any concrete offers for Hall that make trading him for Larsson seem that bad. The other offer we have heard of is Hall for Ceci, which the Senators apparently missed because Bryan Murray could not get in touch with Eugene Melnyk to sign off on the extra spending that would have been required to bring Hall in. For whatever reason, it doesn't seem like GMs valued Hall as highly as fans did. They were clearly wrong in the short term since he was the best player in the league for a short window, but in the long term the trade did not negatively affect Edmonton.

The Hall trade ended up being very important for the Devils because it got them the pick that became Mercer - but at the end of the day they didn't trade for Mercer, they traded for a projected mid 1st and a bunch of B and C pieces. It is not like they got some gangbusters return for Hall. He was considered damaged goods by the time they moved on from him, and they got the typical 1st++ that most stars get at the trade deadline, only with a few extra smaller low value pieces

It seemed like a terrible deal at the time, but really it was fine.
6 juin 2023 à 20 h 58
Leafs going to Leafs
Rejoint: déc. 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 2,768
Quoting: budgeteam
Seattle took Larsson in the 2021 expansion draft. So Edmonton got whatever their second best unprotected player was.

With the benefit of hindsight, I think the trade was overblown. Hall peaked with his MVP season, but then took a step back due to injuries and is no longer a superstar. The Devils made the playoffs once off of the back of Hall's MVP season, but otherwise did nothing with him. The Coyotes only got into the playoffs due to the expanded play-in format. Larsson was good in Edmonton for a year or two. You could argue that Hall was more of a difference maker for New Jersey than Larsson was for Edmonton, but I don't think he would have been as effective on an Edmonton team that was already stacked offensively.

It has been years, and we haven't heard of any concrete offers for Hall that make trading him for Larsson seem that bad. The other offer we have heard of is Hall for Ceci, which the Senators apparently missed because Bryan Murray could not get in touch with Eugene Melnyk to sign off on the extra spending that would have been required to bring Hall in. For whatever reason, it doesn't seem like GMs valued Hall as highly as fans did. They were clearly wrong in the short term since he was the best player in the league for a short window, but in the long term the trade did not negatively affect Edmonton.

The Hall trade ended up being very important for the Devils because it got them the pick that became Mercer - but at the end of the day they didn't trade for Mercer, they traded for a projected mid 1st and a bunch of B and C pieces. It is not like they got some gangbusters return for Hall. He was considered damaged goods by the time they moved on from him, and they got the typical 1st++ that most stars get at the trade deadline, only with a few extra smaller low value pieces

It seemed like a terrible deal at the time, but really it was fine.

But the confusing thing about the trade (especially at the time) was how soon into the offseason it was... like an unforced error

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Chargement de l'animation
Soumettre les modifications du sondage