Forums/Armchair-GM

Signing Marner And The Opening Roster Cap Situation

Créé par: Trevorchef
Équipe: 2019-20 Maple Leafs de Toronto
Date de création initiale: 3 août 2019
Publié: 19 août 2019
Mode - plafond salarial: Basique
Description
Contract Terms: (I did not include any signing bonuses but I'm sure there will be some).

Three Year Deal Worth 8,850,000 AAV
Total For Three Years - 26,550,000

Year One - 6,550,000
Year Two - 10,000,000
Year Three - 10,000,000

When Dermott and Hyman are ready to return from LTIR the team will need another 3,113,333 in cap space to insert them into the lineup. There are roster moves that could be made to help facilitate this but I'm using this number as a "safety net" so the funds are available.

Currently using a 22 man roster instead of 23. The team may choose to add an additional player for longer road trips etc. (Three scratched players instead of two).

Some may say that this number is low and that the Marner camp may not like it but, I think it is a fair deal given the short term. Marner would still be a RFA when the deal expired but his qualifying offer would be substantial and he would have arbitration rights as well.

I think it is a reasonable win/win for both sides.
Signatures de joueurs autonomes
RFAANSCAP HIT
38 850 000 $
UFAANSCAP HIT
1700 000 $
Rachats de contrats
Transactions impliquant une retenue de salaire
Repêchage1e ronde2e ronde3e ronde4e ronde5e ronde6e ronde7e ronde
Logo de TOR
Logo de CBJ
Logo de TOR
Logo de VGK
Logo de TOR
Logo de CAR
Logo de COL
Logo de EDM
Logo de SJS
Logo de STL
Logo de WPG
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
TAILLE DE LA FORMATIONPLAFOND SALARIALCAP HITEXCÉDENTS Info-bulleBONISESPACE SOUS LE PLAFOND SALARIAL
2281 500 000 $78 358 866 $0 $0 $3 141 134 $
Ailier gaucheCentreAilier droit
Logo de Maple Leafs de Toronto
3 400 000 $3 400 000 $
AG, AD
UFA - 4
11 634 000 $11 634 000 $
C
UFA - 5
6 962 366 $6 962 366 $
AD
UFA - 5
925 000 $925 000 $
AG, AD
UFA - 1
11 000 000 $11 000 000 $
C, AG
NMC
UFA - 6
8 850 000 $8 850 000 $
AD
UFA - 6
775 000 $775 000 $
AG, AD
UFA - 2
3 500 000 $3 500 000 $
AG, C, AD
UFA - 4
3 200 000 $3 200 000 $
AD
UFA - 3
737 500 $737 500 $
AG
UFA - 2
675 000 $675 000 $
C
UFA - 1
700 000 $700 000 $
C, AD
NTC
UFA - 1
Défenseur gaucherDéfenseur droitierGardien de but
4 000 000 $4 000 000 $
DG
UFA - 1
2 750 000 $2 750 000 $
DD
UFA - 1
5 000 000 $5 000 000 $
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
5 000 000 $5 000 000 $
DG
UFA - 3
4 500 000 $4 500 000 $
DD
UFA - 1
700 000 $700 000 $
DG
UFA - 1
700 000 $700 000 $
DD
UFA - 1
700 000 $700 000 $
G
UFA
Laissés de côtéListe des blessés (IR)Liste des blessés à long terme (LTIR)
675 000 $675 000 $
DD
UFA - 1
5 250 000 $5 250 000 $
AD
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1
775 000 $775 000 $
C, AG, AD
UFA - 2
5 300 000 $5 300 000 $
AD
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1
863 333 $863 333 $
DG/DD
UFA - 1
2 250 000 $2 250 000 $
AD, AG
M-NTC
UFA - 2

Code d'intégration

• Pour afficher cette équipe sur un autre site Web ou blog, ajoutez ce iFrame à la page appropriée
  • Personnalisez les dimensions dans le code IFrame ci-dessous pour adapter votre site de manière appropriée. Minimum recommandé: 400px.

Texte intégré

Cliquer pour surligner
19 août 2019 à 10 h 49
Jarmo
Rejoint: juill. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 206
That's the most realistic one I've seen.
19 août 2019 à 11 h 27
Kings v5 GM
Rejoint: févr. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 1,626
Shore makes the team
19 août 2019 à 11 h 40
#LeafsFever
Rejoint: mai 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 932
Seems like a fairly significant overpay on what would otherwise be a bridge deal, at least as far as term. If Marner wanted 3 years (which I do not believe is the case), he would have to accept something around, and probably under $7 million. The ideal situation is a 6 year deal, which would ensure his contract doesn't expire when Matthews' and Nylander's does. And I expect that AAV would come around $10 million.
rush5154 a aimé ceci.
19 août 2019 à 11 h 56
Rejoint: janv. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 50
Quoting: MG1986
Seems like a fairly significant overpay on what would otherwise be a bridge deal, at least as far as term. If Marner wanted 3 years (which I do not believe is the case), he would have to accept something around, and probably under $7 million. The ideal situation is a 6 year deal, which would ensure his contract doesn't expire when Matthews' and Nylander's does. And I expect that AAV would come around $10 million.

I agree that all of this sounds logical, but the scope of this contract and term is very team friendly and my opinion is that Marner's camp is not in the business of making team friendly deals. And I can understand why Marner's camp is pushing back given how the Leaf's front office handled Matthews' deal.

Matthews' got: the perfect term; an amazing and "overpaid" AAV relative to his career success; and the perfect contract structure (bonus heavy). So when Marner's camp sees the Leafs give Matthews' everything without any major pushback, why wouldn't they push hard to get as close to that deal as possible? I get that people will use the Matthews' is a centre argument and goals are worth more argument, but what could Marner have done more in the past two seasons? Remember, Marner didn't get the full entry level bonuses and Matthews did; Marner got sent down to the fourth line when he was "struggling", but when Matthews' went 13 games without a point in his rookie year Babcock never sent him down to the fourth line; Marner proved to stay healthy and produce the past two seasons while Matthews' battled injuries. For context, I'm not hating on Matthews' - he's unbelievable and generally deserving of his contract. But if your Marner's camp, are you really going to stomach the front office telling you - again - that you won't get what Matthews' gets despite being an all-around more impact player who's effective in all situations? I can see why they're holding out and I know people will criticize this stance, but I can understand where Marner's camp is coming from. It's not their role to all of a sudden be team-friendly when Nylander's deal (to an extent) and Matthews' deals weren't.
Trevorchef a aimé ceci.
19 août 2019 à 12 h 36
#LeafsFever
Quoting: rush5154
I agree that all of this sounds logical, but the scope of this contract and term is very team friendly and my opinion is that Marner's camp is not in the business of making team friendly deals. And I can understand why Marner's camp is pushing back given how the Leaf's front office handled Matthews' deal.

Matthews' got: the perfect term; an amazing and "overpaid" AAV relative to his career success; and the perfect contract structure (bonus heavy). So when Marner's camp sees the Leafs give Matthews' everything without any major pushback, why wouldn't they push hard to get as close to that deal as possible? I get that people will use the Matthews' is a centre argument and goals are worth more argument, but what could Marner have done more in the past two seasons? Remember, Marner didn't get the full entry level bonuses and Matthews did; Marner got sent down to the fourth line when he was "struggling", but when Matthews' went 13 games without a point in his rookie year Babcock never sent him down to the fourth line; Marner proved to stay healthy and produce the past two seasons while Matthews' battled injuries. For context, I'm not hating on Matthews' - he's unbelievable and generally deserving of his contract. But if your Marner's camp, are you really going to stomach the front office telling you - again - that you won't get what Matthews' gets despite being an all-around more impact player who's effective in all situations? I can see why they're holding out and I know people will criticize this stance, but I can understand where Marner's camp is coming from. It's not their role to all of a sudden be team-friendly when Nylander's deal (to an extent) and Matthews' deals weren't.

I put the full blame on all these Leafs' RFA negotiations firmly upon the shoulders of our rookie GM. Had he negotiated earlier on with Nylander, a precedent of "holding out" would have never been set. I am more aggravated over the hold out, then on the AAV they settled it with that one. But then comes Matthews, and I would agree with most of what you said in analyzing those negotiations. In the Matthews' negotiation, I was pissed off both with term (should have been longer for the money he got) and the AAV should have been less, in my opinion. If Tavares, an established, still young, #1 centre gets x amount, Matthews, especially on a 5 year deal, should not have gotten more. That was a huge fail in my opinion.

Word around Leafland is that they want Marner signed at the start of camp. Although nothing has been said yet, or agreed to internally, management has at least discussed a hard deadline. Meaning that if doesn't sign by x date, the Leafs will go through the entire season without him. It's a harsh but perhaps necessary move. Honestly, at this point, I would have absolutely no issue with the Leafs making an example out of Mitch Marner.
rush5154 a aimé ceci.
19 août 2019 à 14 h 19
Rejoint: janv. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 50
Quoting: MG1986
I put the full blame on all these Leafs' RFA negotiations firmly upon the shoulders of our rookie GM. Had he negotiated earlier on with Nylander, a precedent of "holding out" would have never been set. I am more aggravated over the hold out, then on the AAV they settled it with that one. But then comes Matthews, and I would agree with most of what you said in analyzing those negotiations. In the Matthews' negotiation, I was pissed off both with term (should have been longer for the money he got) and the AAV should have been less, in my opinion. If Tavares, an established, still young, #1 centre gets x amount, Matthews, especially on a 5 year deal, should not have gotten more. That was a huge fail in my opinion.

Word around Leafland is that they want Marner signed at the start of camp. Although nothing has been said yet, or agreed to internally, management has at least discussed a hard deadline. Meaning that if doesn't sign by x date, the Leafs will go through the entire season without him. It's a harsh but perhaps necessary move. Honestly, at this point, I would have absolutely no issue with the Leafs making an example out of Mitch Marner.

I agree with everything you said - great points. And bingo - had Dubas called Nylander's bluff and used the CBA against him and made him sit-out a year without gaining anything, then I think the Marner negotiations have a way different trajectory than they currently do. What I still don't understand is why GMs are feeling the need to capitulate to RFAs (i.e., generally year 4 players), when the CBA was designed and agreed upon by both the players and owners to not give players of that category any leverage. So the player doesn't like the deal, holds out, sits out, then asks for a trade? It's not the NBA , GMs should be maximizing control as long as possible, and I'm player first for almost everything and want them to get paid. But don't do it just because 1-2 GMs made bad RFA deals.
19 août 2019 à 15 h 56
#LeafsFever
Quoting: rush5154
I agree with everything you said - great points. And bingo - had Dubas called Nylander's bluff and used the CBA against him and made him sit-out a year without gaining anything, then I think the Marner negotiations have a way different trajectory than they currently do. What I still don't understand is why GMs are feeling the need to capitulate to RFAs (i.e., generally year 4 players), when the CBA was designed and agreed upon by both the players and owners to not give players of that category any leverage. So the player doesn't like the deal, holds out, sits out, then asks for a trade? It's not the NBA , GMs should be maximizing control as long as possible, and I'm player first for almost everything and want them to get paid. But don't do it just because 1-2 GMs made bad RFA deals.

At minimum, I think we will see the next CBA include some sort of ADR process with new deadline (aka start of camp) to deal with all first year RFA players so this doesn't happen in the future. It looks terrible on the NHL when their elite young players are holding out. As for the Leafs specifically, Kyle lacks quality and assertive negotiation skills. That's going to be an ongoing problem.

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Ajouter une option
Soumettre le sondage