SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Signings

Carolina Hurricanes signed Ryan Dzingel (2 Years / $3,375,000 AAV)

Was this a good signing?
Le graphique a été masqué

Options de sondage

12 juill. 2019 à 12 h 21
Rejoint: juill. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 246
Quoting: DoctorBreakfast
I wonder if we're gonna finally start to see a trend of mid-tier UFA's (rightfully) getting shorter deals due to their age. First Johansson and now Dzingel. Just a year or two ago we likely would've seen these guys get 4+ year contracts.

I know people will point to the deals made this off season that already look ugly or will age poorly (Tanev, Hayes, Zuccarello), but it sure seems to be less and less frequent. It just seems to be the tier of player that smart GMs are realizing you can afford to miss on, because chances are there is someone pretty close in terms of value that will slip through. Like why rush to get Tanev when Ferland and Dzingel are still on the market?
12 juill. 2019 à 12 h 47
Rejoint: déc. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 3,523
Quoting: mondo
thought columbus would've kept him

I don't think Torts wanted him.
12 juill. 2019 à 12 h 53
Rejoint: janv. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 11,957
Feel for Zinger. He was supposed to cash in on a big deal this offseason, and he didn't really get to do that.
12 juill. 2019 à 13 h 2
Rejoint: juin 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 373
Quoting: ComYog
THIS....GOD DAMN THIS....JIIIIMMMMM WHY?!?!

Because they needed a player like tanev way more than a player like dzingle.
12 juill. 2019 à 13 h 21
J.L.
Rejoint: juill. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 66
Quoting: SevenLeg
I wonder how he'll succeed without Stone or Duchene

He has better center in Aho now. Hard to replace Stone though.
SevenLeg a aimé ceci.
12 juill. 2019 à 13 h 23
Rejoint: mars 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 993
The most underrated aspect about this signing is that Dundon was willing to pay a huge bonus to Aho AND spend to the cap to improve the team. That's something I've never seen before in this organization. Can't wait to go to games this year.
12 juill. 2019 à 15 h 38
Rejoint: juin 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 155
Quoting: Yojimbo
You are assuming that Rutherford did not offer anything to Dzingel, possibly even more $. Maybe Dzingel just said no.

Kessel to Dzingel: "Let me tell you about Sullivan..."
Dzingel to Rutherford: "4 year extension to Sullivan huh? Pass."

It more or less went like this:

Jim To Tanev team: ''We're looking for a guy to bolster our bottom-six''
Tanev: ''I can do...''
*Jim Rutherford pulls out contract*
Jim: ''How does $21 million dollars and 6 years sound''
Tanev: *is speechless*
Jim: Just sign right here and here.
12 juill. 2019 à 15 h 54
Let's go Pens!
Rejoint: mars 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 382
Quoting: vic997
56 pts last season and makes less than Brandon Tanev. Why is jim Rutherford doing this to me

It's my first thought when I saw the contract. JR gave us one of the greatest trojans in the last seasons. Even worse than JJ contract.
12 juill. 2019 à 16 h 7
Mentions "j'aime": 30
As far as the Oilers missing out here, I don't think they were willing to offer more than this value or term. Dzingel would have more pressure to repeat his top 6 production with Edmonton or be a 3rd line centre playing with who knows who. In Carolina he gets a chance to provide depth scoring and less hard/forced ideas about where he will fit in their lineup, as well as the team just made playoffs whereas Edmonton did not. I'm guessing the Oilers would have had to offer 4 or more per year at the same term or more.

Why he took this long to get signed and why others were signed early at larger, longer contracts even though he put up better or similar numbers? Because of the obvious drop in production after being traded and playoffs, but also something a bit less obvious. Yes he did well in Ottawa, but in what role? Was he getting top pp time and top 6 minutes playing with Stone, Duchene and/or Thachuk? Teams signing him now have to consider where he will fit in their lineup; do they have a spot where he'll get that kind of support to pump his numbers? Can he drop into a bottom 6 role with maybe 2nd pp duties and still be useful to a winning team? Also, the value for a 50pt player on a bad team is far less than the value for a 50pt player on a good team.
12 juill. 2019 à 17 h 30
hey look a squirrel
Rejoint: mai 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 3,752
So he turned on a 5 year deal with 20 million in Ottawa for 2 years and less than half the money in Carolina
oneX a aimé ceci.
12 juill. 2019 à 17 h 35
Rejoint: mars 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 2,619
Quoting: Trickster
So he turned on a 5 year deal with 20 million in Ottawa for 2 years and less than half the money in Carolina

I guess he was promised more money during the season and didn't factor in that other UFA's would get contract offers before he would and that means less money for him.
12 juill. 2019 à 17 h 55
Rejoint: avr. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 1,535
It more or less went like this:

Jim To Tanev team: ''We're looking for a guy to bolster our bottom-six''
Tanev: ''I can do...''
*Jim Rutherford pulls out contract*
Jim: ''How does $21 million dollars and 6 years sound''
Tanev: *is speechless*
Jim: Just sign right here and here.

What does that have to do with Dzingel? You know, the player that this thread is about?

But it was reported that a handful of teams were after Tanev and the start was $3M with term. I haven't seen any reports of multiple teams after Dzingel. When no one wants you, you don't get as much. When multiple teams want you, your price goes up.

Teams wanted Tanev. Dzingel had to settle for Carolina.
13 juill. 2019 à 0 h 8
Quoting: rangersandislesfan
Was hoping the Isles might sign him ... good signing for Carolina. So many good teams in the East.

So many Metro teams have improved this summer. CAR was already good and now they picked up Haula and Dzingel...both bought low
13 juill. 2019 à 0 h 9
Quoting: DonkeyLips
Because they needed a player like tanev way more than a player like dzingle.

They didn't need him for six years.
13 juill. 2019 à 0 h 11
Quoting: oilersfan089
As far as the Oilers missing out here, I don't think they were willing to offer more than this value or term. Dzingel would have more pressure to repeat his top 6 production with Edmonton or be a 3rd line centre playing with who knows who. In Carolina he gets a chance to provide depth scoring and less hard/forced ideas about where he will fit in their lineup, as well as the team just made playoffs whereas Edmonton did not. I'm guessing the Oilers would have had to offer 4 or more per year at the same term or more.

Why he took this long to get signed and why others were signed early at larger, longer contracts even though he put up better or similar numbers? Because of the obvious drop in production after being traded and playoffs, but also something a bit less obvious. Yes he did well in Ottawa, but in what role? Was he getting top pp time and top 6 minutes playing with Stone, Duchene and/or Thachuk? Teams signing him now have to consider where he will fit in their lineup; do they have a spot where he'll get that kind of support to pump his numbers? Can he drop into a bottom 6 role with maybe 2nd pp duties and still be useful to a winning team? Also, the value for a 50pt player on a bad team is far less than the value for a 50pt player on a good team.

I think he woulda fit in rather well in EDM's top six. They needed to do something this summer and so far they've watched everyone else be busy, busy. VAN and ARI specifically.
13 juill. 2019 à 0 h 13
Quoting: Willian_Cardoso
It's my first thought when I saw the contract. JR gave us one of the greatest trojans in the last seasons. Even worse than JJ contract.

JJ was an immediate bust. I expect Tanev to play well for at least the first 2 years of the contract.
13 juill. 2019 à 1 h 26
Quoting: Brian2016
They didn't need him for six years.

True, but in 3 or 4 years nothing will matter for the pens. It won't make a difference if he is still under contract or not. The window will be closed.
Brian2016 a aimé ceci.
13 juill. 2019 à 2 h 47
True, but in 3 or 4 years nothing will matter for the pens. It won't make a difference if he is still under contract or not. The window will be closed.

Agreed. Personally, I'm not so sure they'll even make the playoffs next season in a highly improved Metro division. But we'll see. The window is already closing. People will call me crazy, and all of the so-called experts will pick them to make it, but they'll have some serious competition from trams like CAR, NJD, and NYR (I hate admitting this). PHI should bounce back and WASH is still the best team in the division, in my opinion.
13 juill. 2019 à 4 h 25
Mentions "j'aime": 60
I don't see how somebody voted no? They might as well try to make some moves... I was never high... Err on this guy... I know That Hockey Guy is always talking about how much he likes him... Then again he has Senators as like his top favorites smile. I think if they had a bit more scoring it might have helped them go a bit deeper or least win another game or two if not round wink...
13 juill. 2019 à 10 h 34
Quoting: Brian2016
Agreed. Personally, I'm not so sure they'll even make the playoffs next season in a highly improved Metro division. But we'll see. The window is already closing. People will call me crazy, and all of the so-called experts will pick them to make it, but they'll have some serious competition from trams like CAR, NJD, and NYR (I hate admitting this). PHI should bounce back and WASH is still the best team in the division, in my opinion.

As long as they have Crosby, Malkin, Letang, and Murray they will be considered contenders. Malkin and Letang contracts expire in 3 years. That's the window. After that it's up in the air.
13 juill. 2019 à 18 h 14
As long as they have Crosby, Malkin, Letang, and Murray they will be considered contenders. Malkin and Letang contracts expire in 3 years. That's the window. After that it's up in the air.

Kessel was a huge loss for them. I'm not sure how they'll respond w/ Galchenyuk but it'll be interesting. He could have a breakout season since he's never really played w/ an elite playmaker or on a top PP.
DonkeyLips a aimé ceci.
13 juill. 2019 à 19 h 23
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Rejoint: juill. 2015
Mentions "j'aime": 22,624
Quoting: CD282
Wow, this is a crazy low deal compared to what everybody thought.

There is just isn't that much cap room available. And still all those expensive RFAs and some UFAs still to be signed. I wonder if Dzinkel and Ferland for example were offered more before with their own teams or even in early in free agency. Holding out for more....nope the money ran out or teams with cap just didn't want them.
CD282 a aimé ceci.
16 juill. 2019 à 12 h 0
What does that have to do with Dzingel? You know, the player that this thread is about?

But it was reported that a handful of teams were after Tanev and the start was $3M with term. I haven't seen any reports of multiple teams after Dzingel. When no one wants you, you don't get as much. When multiple teams want you, your price goes up.

Teams wanted Tanev. Dzingel had to settle for Carolina.

Dzingel had a bad playoff performance. That is the only reason I can think of for teams lowballing him.
He can play anywhere from top 9 to top 6. The guy scored 26 goals..

Tanev is a good defensive forward but is a borderline replacement level player. You're truly undervaluing how much Lowry and Copp boosted his production.
Bryan Rust is literally a Brandon Tanev with more offensive flare and can play any line when needed.
16 juill. 2019 à 12 h 23
Rejoint: avr. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 1,535
Dzingel had a bad playoff performance. That is the only reason I can think of for teams lowballing him.
He can play anywhere from top 9 to top 6. The guy scored 26 goals..

Tanev is a good defensive forward but is a borderline replacement level player. You're truly undervaluing how much Lowry and Copp boosted his production.
Bryan Rust is literally a Brandon Tanev with more offensive flare and can play any line when needed.

I never said that Tanev was worth signing, at all... so I am not overvaluating him nor the impact that his linemates had on him. Your response is pure strawman and doesn't address my comment in any way. And where did Rust enter the conversation?
16 juill. 2019 à 12 h 25
I never said that Tanev was worth signing, at all... so I am not overvaluating him nor the impact that his linemates had on him. Your response is pure strawman and doesn't address my comment in any way. And where did Rust enter the conversation?

You were saying teams wanted Tanev more than Dzingel.
I heard Dzingel declined offers from Ottawa and Columbus at a higher AAV.
Teams most likely backed out of Tanev because Pittsburgh offered something ludicrous with a NTC on top of it.
GMs know when stats are inflated and I'm sure they took into account Tanev's linemates in Winnipeg...except for GMJR

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Chargement de l'animation
Soumettre les modifications du sondage