SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Montreal Canadiens

Should Montreal make a move for Gusev?

6 juill. 2019 à 1 h 51
Rejoint: nov. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 20
Given the fact that VGK are in cap hell right now and MTL has ample cap space to absorb both a contract that will get Gusev signed, what would it take? My thought is that Montreal offer to take Clarkson's LTIR contract along with the signing rights to Gusev and in return the VGK get one of either Xavier Oullet or Cristian Folin and either a second round pick in 2021 or a third and 2 fourths in 2020.

I figure the number to sign Gusev is in the 3-4 mil range for a 2 year term and even taking on the 5.25M contract MTL would still have a bit of wiggle room when they send down Alzner at the start of the season as no one will touch that contract. The 2 year term will allow MTL to get a good sense of what they have in that player and the contract will expire at the same time that both Kokaneimei and Poehling are due their next contracts.

I know most folks think that targeting a D man is more important but with Juulsen, Brook, and Fluery on thier way, and will need spots in the next year or two.

Thoughts?
Charlie a aimé ceci.
14 juill. 2019 à 13 h 7
Sauceboss
Rejoint: juill. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 44
Quoting: Hockeyfan1972
Given the fact that VGK are in cap hell right now and MTL has ample cap space to absorb both a contract that will get Gusev signed, what would it take? My thought is that Montreal offer to take Clarkson's LTIR contract along with the signing rights to Gusev and in return the VGK get one of either Xavier Oullet or Cristian Folin and either a second round pick in 2021 or a third and 2 fourths in 2020.

I figure the number to sign Gusev is in the 3-4 mil range for a 2 year term and even taking on the 5.25M contract MTL would still have a bit of wiggle room when they send down Alzner at the start of the season as no one will touch that contract. The 2 year term will allow MTL to get a good sense of what they have in that player and the contract will expire at the same time that both Kokaneimei and Poehling are due their next contracts.

I know most folks think that targeting a D man is more important but with Juulsen, Brook, and Fluery on thier way, and will need spots in the next year or two.

Thoughts?

They will only move Clarkson's contract to sign Gusev.
No point in doing both.
15 juill. 2019 à 18 h 16
Démarrer sujet
Quoting: cmcnamed
They will only move Clarkson's contract to sign Gusev.
No point in doing both.

The only way they move Clarkson's contract is to add a sweetener like TOR did with CAR to get rid of Marleau's contract (They added a first round pick if I remember correctly). An "UNSIGNED" RFA would be the sweetener to get rid of Clarkson's cap hit. VGK still need to add 2 more players to their roster to hit the 23 man limit and signing Gusev is expected to be around 3.5 to 4M for a 2 year deal so that is a no go for them unless they move a BIG contract.
15 juill. 2019 à 19 h 54
Sauceboss
The only way they move Clarkson's contract is to add a sweetener like TOR did with CAR to get rid of Marleau's contract (They added a first round pick if I remember correctly). An "UNSIGNED" RFA would be the sweetener to get rid of Clarkson's cap hit. VGK still need to add 2 more players to their roster to hit the 23 man limit and signing Gusev is expected to be around 3.5 to 4M for a 2 year deal so that is a no go for them unless they move a BIG contract.

Clarkson + Pitts. 2nd = 1 Year LTIR
No need to move Gusev.
15 juill. 2019 à 21 h 12
Démarrer sujet
Quoting: cmcnamed
Clarkson + Pitts. 2nd = 1 Year LTIR
No need to move Gusev.

Even if this was a feasible trade (the one you proposed) they still do not have enough cap room to sign Gusev. Once Clarkson is off the books (85,024,999 minus 5,250,000) it still leaves VGK with a cap hit of 79.774.999. How do you squeeze Gusev in with 1,725,001 in available cap space and sign or promote 2 more D men with that amount of space?

Please elaborate.
15 juill. 2019 à 22 h 17
Sauceboss
Even if this was a feasible trade (the one you proposed) they still do not have enough cap room to sign Gusev. Once Clarkson is off the books (85,024,999 minus 5,250,000) it still leaves VGK with a cap hit of 79.774.999. How do you squeeze Gusev in with 1,725,001 in available cap space and sign or promote 2 more D men with that amount of space?

Please elaborate.

I do this: https://www.capfriendly.com/forums/thread/252978
15 juill. 2019 à 22 h 35
Démarrer sujet
Modifié 15 juill. 2019 à 22 h 42

While that is not an unreasonable option I can't see MTL taking that cap hit for a 50 - 60 pick. Schult is what the VGK need,, D-men. While I can see the run and gun offence that you're options provide I don't think it is an option for VGK. Leaving yourself with only 6 D-men and 11,000 in cap space is too risky considering you have many more forwards then D ready to move up.
15 juill. 2019 à 22 h 50
Sauceboss
While that is not an unreasonable option I can't see MTL taking that cap hit for a 50 - 60 pick.

It's only for 1 year, it's insured and it's LTIR'able.

Schult is what the VGK need,, D-men. While I can see the run and gun offence that you're options provide I don't think it is an option for VGK. Leaving yourself with only 6 D-men and 11,000 in cap space is too risky considering you have many more forwards then D ready to move up.

Agreed; however, you asked how it could be done.
Sell Clarkson for a 2nd, and buy a 2nd+ in return for selling the shiny rock.

Other options include moving other people, but that's another conversation.
15 juill. 2019 à 23 h 16
Démarrer sujet
So you are going to run a 20 man roster with no cap cushion?
15 juill. 2019 à 23 h 19
Sauceboss
So you are going to run a 20 man roster with no cap cushion?

You asked how I become cap compliant at the end of summer.
Preferably, they'd trade Eakin and replace him with an AHLer's $$.
15 juill. 2019 à 23 h 41
Démarrer sujet
I get it. It's an idea, just not one that most teams would consider. NJ ran a 20 man roster for a bit when they signed Kovalchuk to a ridiculous contract and the GM said he regretted it. We are in a new day and age though.
18 juill. 2019 à 11 h 0
Subbanator
Rejoint: juill. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 3,226
I think people aren't realizing that Claude doesn't like Russian born players and Gusev still needs a translator so I doubt that MTL makes a move for him.
20 juill. 2019 à 20 h 1
Démarrer sujet
Quoting: Subbanator7667
I think people aren't realizing that Claude doesn't like Russian born players and Gusev still needs a translator so I doubt that MTL makes a move for him.

Good point, something I had not considered. The follow up question is what to they do with Romonov next season?
2 août 2019 à 10 h 41
Mentions "j'aime": 6,514
I think it would have been good for them, but they missed out
Hockeyfan1972 a aimé ceci.

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Ajouter une option
Soumettre le sondage