SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Signings

Carolina Hurricanes signed Sebastian Aho (5 Years / $8,460,250 AAV)

Was this a good signing?
Le graphique a été masqué

Options de sondage

1 juill. 2019 à 20 h 3
Rejoint: juin 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 16
Quoting: Club_de_Hockey_le_Canadien
Carolina can easily match this

The owner has money issue and if Carolina matches, they cannot trade him before July first 2020. This means they are garanteed to pay half the contract in the first year of that contract (11.3M+9.87M bonuses). Also, if there is a lock-out, they would have to pay the 7M signing bonus on that year. For a small market like Carolina, this is a huge issue.
1 juill. 2019 à 20 h 4
Mentions "j'aime": 13
Quoting: rangersandislesfan
How is it good?

How is it not good? Besides, offer sheets are there for a reason, so why not make use of them.
1 juill. 2019 à 20 h 15
Emotionally in 2018
Rejoint: nov. 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 3,387
This honestly helps Carolina get to a number they like with Aho, and Montreal is just hoping to god that Dundon doesn't want to give out the $21M in performance bonuses in the first year. But they'll match, and I'm sure the Canadiens know that. They have enough money to still sign someone like Gardiner within the next 7 days and not be over the 110% offseason limit.
1 juill. 2019 à 20 h 32
I post sometimes
Rejoint: juill. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 1,612
Quoting: Boomer125
This was an Aho using Bergervin and the Habs, Carolina matches just in 7 days. Habs lose out on any Defenceman that could actually pair with Weber and don't get Aho all at the same time. This was a terrible and weak offer from the Habs

Or, its a contract that squeezes the Canes out of a great RFA for financial reasons.
1 juill. 2019 à 20 h 37
I post sometimes
Quoting: krakowitz
This honestly helps Carolina get to a number they like with Aho, and Montreal is just hoping to god that Dundon doesn't want to give out the $21M in performance bonuses in the first year. But they'll match, and I'm sure the Canadiens know that. They have enough money to still sign someone like Gardiner within the next 7 days and not be over the 110% offseason limit.

We have everything to gain, and nothing to lose.

They match? We lose nothing...

They don't? We win big.

Well... they were offering him 6M... so I'm not sure it is a number they liked..
GO_HABS_GO a aimé ceci.
1 juill. 2019 à 20 h 53
Molson beer is meh
Rejoint: janv. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 1,673
I think I understand the strategy from this “low ball” offer sheet. Lots of factors at play. One of the first things I was questioning was “why not give an extra $100k on the AAV and make the compensation 2 1st’s + 2nd + 3rd?” Literally no one will question that it would be overpaying for some like Aho, and it would make all the more enticing to let Aho go. So why just under $8.5mil???

This is just MTL literally trying to take advantage of what they believe is an Owner (Dundon) who doesn’t have the stones to pay 1 player a large chunk of the teams revenue of an entire year. Because if CAR matches this deal, this almost guarantees for the next two seasons they will lose $$$ and finish in the negative of their yearly earnings. Additionally , with a lockout looming, and the possibility of getting zero revenue next year. CAR will still have to pay almost $10mil, to 1 player. That’s big.

So if the Habs believe that actual “up front “ cash is enough to steal Aho from CAR (and I’m assuming that this is really their current belief, cuz why even bother then?), why give an extra 1st?

Historically speaking though... PHI tried this exact strategy on NSH with the Weber offer sheet, and it didn’t work.
MTLaveragefan, Zubrowka, GO_HABS_GO and 4 others a aimé ceci.
1 juill. 2019 à 21 h 2
I post sometimes
Quoting: Blazingbat11
I think I understand the strategy from this “low ball” offer sheet. Lots of factors at play. One of the first things I was questioning was “why not give an extra $100k on the AAV and make the compensation 2 1st’s + 2nd + 3rd?” Literally no one will question that it would be overpaying for some like Aho, and it would make all the more enticing to let Aho go. So why just under $8.5mil???

This is just MTL literally trying to take advantage of what they believe is an Owner (Dundon) who doesn’t have the stones to pay 1 player a large chunk of the teams revenue of an entire year. Because if CAR matches this deal, this almost guarantees for the next two seasons they will lose $$$ and finish in the negative of their yearly earnings. Additionally , with a lockout looming, and the possibility of getting zero revenue next year. CAR will still have to pay almost $10mil, to 1 player. That’s big.

So if the Habs believe that actual “up front “ cash is enough to steal Aho from CAR (and I’m assuming that this is really their current belief, cuz why even bother then?), why give an extra 1st?

It is such a ballsy move.

That's a hostile take over, just pure business. Like how Ray Kroch took over McDonald's.

I also believe that MTL did offer a trade for Aho that was way superior to the compensation now. They offered the easy way... this is the hard way!
1 juill. 2019 à 21 h 3
Western Champs
Rejoint: sept. 2015
Mentions "j'aime": 251
Quoting: Veyrokx
it's not about capspace, it's about real money. Carolina barely made 23M from tickets sales, wich is 3M less than the year befor... Dundon is also in a 70M lawsuit right now.. the habs took adventage of a weakened owner

BTW Dundon is a billionaire
1 juill. 2019 à 21 h 14
Black Lives Matter
Rejoint: mars 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 4,649
Quoting: randint
How is it not good? Besides, offer sheets are there for a reason, so why not make use of them.

True. But I prefer the idea of two GMs agreeing on a deal. It's just a better way to do things. Carolina didn't want to trade Aho, and Montreal used an offer sheet instead, and that's totally fine. It's in the rulebook that that is allowed. They just need to know that it's a big risk, and some teams may not want to trade with Bergevin now, or maybe Waddell will get Bergevin back with an offer sheet on a Habs' player sometime. Who knows? Maybe someone like Domi, who is an RFA next year.

I don't think this was worth it for Montreal. It's great value for Aho, but that's exactly why it's not worth it for Montreal. Because I'm 95% sure Carolina will match. I don't see how they wouldn't. All Montreal is doing is becoming that team who actually did the offer sheet. And that might not be a good idea. It could change other GMs' strategies dealing with the Canadiens.
1 juill. 2019 à 21 h 33
I post sometimes
Quoting: Joe_La_Garnotte

In asset maybe, in cash flow? Probably not.
J2W a aimé ceci.
1 juill. 2019 à 22 h 15
Molson beer is meh
Rejoint: janv. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 1,673
Quoting: MTLaveragefan
It is such a ballsy move.

That's a hostile take over, just pure business. Like how Ray Kroch took over McDonald's.

I also believe that MTL did offer a trade for Aho that was way superior to the compensation now. They offered the easy way... this is the hard way!

Quoting: Joe_La_Garnotte

And there’s the rub. Dundon is a billionaire, and MTL is asking him to put his money where his mouth is.

This is the kind of stuff I really love. Very little of this deal has to do with Hockey. This is all about business economics crossing over with sports management. As someone who’s taken a few economics courses in University (as electives lol). Strictly from a business perspective, this deal is a nightmare. Accepting this deal basically forces you to take the next few years at a loss in terms of revenue. Dundon will probably have to dip in the capital from another one of his business’s or of his own personal stash to deal with this, and that’s just bad business, period. From a sports management perspective on the other hand, this is a no brainer. The compensation for letting Aho leave just isn’t good enough. It’s actually crap. The AAV is also almost spot on, and although the term isn’t what CAR want, it’s still manageable. But Wadell right now has no say anymore on what happens next. This guy is literally just going to his boss saying ‘’hey, I have this ****ty offer sheet I need to deal with... I just need $12mil cash for it to go away right now....and another $9mil cash next July 1st...’’
So it’ll be interesting what Dundon decides.

It’s easy for us mortals to tell a billionaire how to spend $21+ million, and odds are CAR matches. But it’s cool to see GMs try something like this, it really doesn’t happen often.
JeyCH22, J2W, MTLaveragefan and 1 other person a aimé ceci.
1 juill. 2019 à 22 h 33
Rejoint: mai 2015
Mentions "j'aime": 610
I'm going to be the 1 guy who said no because it's not enough to get Aho, only enough to piss of Carolina.
Sid a aimé ceci.
2 juill. 2019 à 0 h 18
Black Lives Matter
Rejoint: mars 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 4,649
Quoting: AH96
I'm going to be the 1 guy who said no because it's not enough to get Aho, only enough to piss of Carolina.

I think the reason everyone is voting yes is not yes and in "good move by Montreal" but yes as in "good signing for whoever gets him".
Cdn_bacon a aimé ceci.
2 juill. 2019 à 1 h 7
Rejoint: janv. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 2,240
Quoting: Boomer125
This was an Aho using Bergervin and the Habs, Carolina matches just in 7 days. Habs lose out on any Defenceman that could actually pair with Weber and don't get Aho all at the same time. This was a terrible and weak offer from the Habs

They still have 11 Million Dollars with the cap cushion to pursue anyone they choose. This doesn't constraint them in any way.
2 juill. 2019 à 1 h 9
Quoting: Club_de_Hockey_le_Canadien
Why? Almost 20 million in cap space seems like more than enough for a contract costing 8.454M

Carolina only made 26 Million dollars in Revenue (money earned, doesn't factor in expenses).

They paid 6.5 Million to Marleau and if they match this, they have to pay 21 Million dollars in the first 12 months. That's 27.5 Million dollars they have to pay when they only earned 26 Million last year. That puts them at a 1.5 Million dollar loss right away. Also last year they were near the cap floor, where this year they are closer to the cap ceiling if they match. It's a lot closer than you think.
2 juill. 2019 à 2 h 56
CGM
Rejoint: déc. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 7
Quoting: pharrow
This was a horrible offer sheet from the Habs. The main concern for the Habs was the length. They wanted longer than 5 years. They will match the money no problem and the deal is done.
This contract will have no effect on Marner or Point. Neither one care what Aho got. His negotiation is not theirs.

LOL I think you are mad because you worry marner will be next. This is the way the system is suppose to work. Besides the NHL loves drama. What a great way to create bad blood.

Oh man, i wish they would offer this to Marner, it's a steal.
2 juill. 2019 à 4 h 38
Mentions "j'aime": 13
Quoting: rangersandislesfan
True. But I prefer the idea of two GMs agreeing on a deal. It's just a better way to do things. Carolina didn't want to trade Aho, and Montreal used an offer sheet instead, and that's totally fine. It's in the rulebook that that is allowed. They just need to know that it's a big risk, and some teams may not want to trade with Bergevin now, or maybe Waddell will get Bergevin back with an offer sheet on a Habs' player sometime. Who knows? Maybe someone like Domi, who is an RFA next year.

I don't think this was worth it for Montreal. It's great value for Aho, but that's exactly why it's not worth it for Montreal. Because I'm 95% sure Carolina will match. I don't see how they wouldn't. All Montreal is doing is becoming that team who actually did the offer sheet. And that might not be a good idea. It could change other GMs' strategies dealing with the Canadiens.

I don't see Waddell throwing offer sheets around because by the looks of it Carolina (ie Dundon) can't afford that. I also highly doubt that now some GMs don't want to have any dealings with Bergevin afte rthis, unless they really don't understand that each GM's job is to serve their own team and no one else. As for whether or not the offer sheet was worth it for Canadiens, well, I don't see how it wasn't. Bergevin and co clearly saw that they had a decent enough opportunity to get Aho with a below-market-price offer, and if it doesn't work out in the end they literally lose nothing. So basically at the end of the day it was just a good piece of business for Canadiens and nothing else because the can win but not lose.
2 juill. 2019 à 4 h 39
Rejoint: août 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 543
This was a horrible offer sheet from the Habs. The main concern for the Habs was the length. They wanted longer than 5 years. They will match the money no problem and the deal is done.
This contract will have no effect on Marner or Point. Neither one care what Aho got. His negotiation is not theirs.

It will have an effect on Marner + Point ... direct comparable.

LOL I think you are mad because you worry marner will be next. This is the way the system is suppose to work. Besides the NHL loves drama. What a great way to create bad blood.
2 juill. 2019 à 4 h 43
Quoting: randint
I don't see Waddell throwing offer sheets around because by the looks of it Carolina (ie Dundon) can't afford that. I also highly doubt that now some GMs don't want to have any dealings with Bergevin afte rthis, unless they really don't understand that each GM's job is to serve their own team and no one else. As for whether or not the offer sheet was worth it for Canadiens, well, I don't see how it wasn't. Bergevin and co clearly saw that they had a decent enough opportunity to get Aho with a below-market-price offer, and if it doesn't work out in the end they literally lose nothing. So basically at the end of the day it was just a good piece of business for Canadiens and nothing else because the can win but not lose.

They either get a player for cheap or they **** up another team's cap structure and rift the locker room.

Win-Win for Bergevin.

With the cap cushion, Bergevin still has 11 Million in space to make more moves.
2 juill. 2019 à 5 h 33
Banni
Rejoint: juin 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 4,837
Quoting: drewjenks

Marner already chose his comparable, it's matthews.
They have stated that multiple times.
Sid a aimé ceci.
2 juill. 2019 à 5 h 41
Modifié 2 juill. 2019 à 13 h 41
Marner already chose his comparable, it's matthews.
They have stated that multiple times.

LMAO - Is Marner gonna choose his cap-hit too?

Nylander's "chosen" comparable was Draisaitl ... Dubas' chose Pastrnak ... and the end result was $6,950,000.

That's $300,000 more than Pastrnak ... and $1,550,000 less than Draisaitl ... so I doubt Marner "choosing a comparable" has the power you describe.

On top of that ... Nylander signed 1 year after both of his comparable's ... so he gained an extra $400,000 (6%) based on cap-growth alone.

Marner's comparable's (Aho + AM) are both entering year 1 of their deal ... so cap-growth won't get Marner an extra $400,000+ like it did for Willy.
2 juill. 2019 à 5 h 45
Banni
Rejoint: juin 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 4,837
Quoting: drewjenks
LMAO - Is he choosing his cap-hit too?

Nylander's comparable was Draisaitl ... Dubas was Pasternak ... he got 6.95.

you keep thinking that. He'll let 94 points do the talking.
2 juill. 2019 à 8 h 48
you keep thinking that. He'll let 94 points do the talking.

LOL kk I'll keep on the lookout for Marner getting $11,600,000 x 5 ... when Aho just signed an offer sheet for $8,500,000 ....
2 juill. 2019 à 11 h 58
Rejoint: juill. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 246
Quoting: TraderJoes
Awesome contract for whichever team ends up with the player. IMO Aho is better than Marner, for $8.5M over 5 years this will be a steal. We'll be talking about this contract in 3 years the way we talk about Bergeron, Scheifele and MacKinnon today.

I agree. Only downside was not getting him to 7 or so, but that would have changed the compensation. This deal is a steal on day one, it will age even better.
TraderJoes a aimé ceci.
2 juill. 2019 à 12 h 26
Rejoint: janv. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 865
Hurricanes Match, It is official.

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Chargement de l'animation
Soumettre les modifications du sondage