SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Signings

San Jose Sharks signed Erik Karlsson (8 Years / $11,500,000 AAV)

Was this a good signing?
Le graphique a été masqué

Options de sondage

18 juin 2019 à 0 h 0
Rejoint: déc. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 3,523
Quoting: rangersandislesfan
I was the only one saying he might re-sign. I was kinda 50/50.

Personally, I didn't even think SJS was top 3-4 teams. I thought for sure he was headed back east.
18 juin 2019 à 0 h 6
skates21
Rejoint: oct. 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 30
Just blows my mind on how everyone is a capoligist and an expert. Don’t know why these GMs don’t have most you guys on speed dial. Has anyone thought that he won’t take less term ? Cuz he will get term from someone else anyhow... Do you think maybe it’s not just cut and paste getting players. Someone of Karlssons caliber doesn’t come along often. Everyone screams cap problems every time a signing is made. Only team that ran into real cap issues and unloaded quality players was Chicago. I think these guys got it under control. There’s no simple answers here.
MDMJAC a aimé ceci.
18 juin 2019 à 0 h 21
Rejoint: mars 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 148
Modifié 18 juin 2019 à 0 h 34
Braun can be dumped for a late pick to free up some cap. Timo Meier and Kevin Labanc offer sheets are being printed off as we speak...
18 juin 2019 à 2 h 16
Quoting: krakowitz
I'm in the minority here in the fact that I like the deal for San Jose. Ideally they could've gotten the AAV a little lower, but we all knew it was going to be 8 years if he came back to San Jose. Plus we saw just how impactful EK was for them playing at about 60%, so what happens when he takes the time to heal up properly? That's a Cup contending team. I know it's going to result in a shuffling of the forward group, but it's clear that Karlsson's impact on the team when healthy is extraordinary.

Yes, they're going to be in trouble in the long haul. But the Sharks want this window to be open as long as possible. Having two of the best defensemen in the world locked up for the rest of their prime years is going to be huge for them. It's easier to find forwards than it is defenseman, and EK is truly one of a kind. If you can lock him up, do it. I like it for the Sharks.

This is the most lopsided poll since the Skinner extension about a week ago. I'm not sure I remember two more lopsided polls in such close proximity. Cray, but I would take Karlsson at $11.5 over Skinner at $9.5 all day every day.
18 juin 2019 à 2 h 29
Quoting: SKATES21
Just blows my mind on how everyone is a capoligist and an expert. Don’t know why these GMs don’t have most you guys on speed dial. Has anyone thought that he won’t take less term ? Cuz he will get term from someone else anyhow... Do you think maybe it’s not just cut and paste getting players. Someone of Karlssons caliber doesn’t come along often. Everyone screams cap problems every time a signing is made. Only team that ran into real cap issues and unloaded quality players was Chicago. I think these guys got it under control. There’s no simple answers here.

But look at how many GM's have destroyed their teams in recent years b/c of terrible contracts. LAK, NYR, MIN, and EDM to name a few. In fairness to Doug Wilson, it's never the huge money superstar contracts that ruin teams for 5 years. It's always the Dion Phaneuf, Milan Lucic, and Matt Moulson type contracts that do the most damage. This happens mostly b/c GM's get impatient and try to build through free agency rather than through the draft. All successful NHL franchises are built primarily through the draft. PIT, WASH, CHI, and BOS drafted almost all of their top guys. So has every team currently on the brink of success like TOR, WPG, and TBL.
Kylonetic8 a aimé ceci.
18 juin 2019 à 3 h 46
Mentions "j'aime": 679
Idk if Karlsson wanted term specifically, but if I was Wilson, I would've rather paid him 12,5-13 per to get the term down to 5 or 6. This looks like a massive bomb that could start slipping in 3 years at worst.
wajgy a aimé ceci.
18 juin 2019 à 11 h 54
Typical Caps Fan
Rejoint: oct. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 346
Quoting: Brian2016
But look at how many GM's have destroyed their teams in recent years b/c of terrible contracts. LAK, NYR, MIN, and EDM to name a few. In fairness to Doug Wilson, it's never the huge money superstar contracts that ruin teams for 5 years. It's always the Dion Phaneuf, Milan Lucic, and Matt Moulson type contracts that do the most damage. This happens mostly b/c GM's get impatient and try to build through free agency rather than through the draft. All successful NHL franchises are built primarily through the draft. PIT, WASH, CHI, and BOS drafted almost all of their top guys. So has every team currently on the brink of success like TOR, WPG, and TBL.

I believe this is true for pretty much any sport. Look at the best NFL teams, they generally don't spend a ton in free agency. They may add a couple of pieces to get over the top, but a lot of the core guys tend to be drafted, not signed through free agency. Same with baseball, the Red Sox and Yankees draft well. Look at how much INSANE depth the Yankees have, they had like 500 guys get hurt so far this year and are still winning, because of the depth of their farm system and the quality of their drafting. It's drafts and drafting well that gets you a championship.

The Caps drafted Ovi, Backy, Willy, Vrana, Holtby, Kuzy, Carlson, Orlov. The only significant player not drafted by the Caps for their Cup run was Oshie, at least as far as the top 6 and he was traded for, not signed in free agency. Not that they didn't add pieces through free agency (Niskanen), as every team does that a bit, but if you're primarily building your team through free agency, your team has a serious issue going on and likely won't be using cap space efficiently.
Brian2016 a aimé ceci.
18 juin 2019 à 14 h 33
Quoting: Kylonetic8
I believe this is true for pretty much any sport. Look at the best NFL teams, they generally don't spend a ton in free agency. They may add a couple of pieces to get over the top, but a lot of the core guys tend to be drafted, not signed through free agency. Same with baseball, the Red Sox and Yankees draft well. Look at how much INSANE depth the Yankees have, they had like 500 guys get hurt so far this year and are still winning, because of the depth of their farm system and the quality of their drafting. It's drafts and drafting well that gets you a championship.

The Caps drafted Ovi, Backy, Willy, Vrana, Holtby, Kuzy, Carlson, Orlov. The only significant player not drafted by the Caps for their Cup run was Oshie, at least as far as the top 6 and he was traded for, not signed in free agency. Not that they didn't add pieces through free agency (Niskanen), as every team does that a bit, but if you're primarily building your team through free agency, your team has a serious issue going on and likely won't be using cap space efficiently.

Free agency is like an auction. It's a competition to see who's willing to pay the most. It backfires so many times.
Kylonetic8 a aimé ceci.
19 juin 2019 à 9 h 24
v5 CBJ GM
Rejoint: févr. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 8,548
Way too much money...

Maybe worth $9 003 001
19 juin 2019 à 9 h 24
v5 CBJ GM
Quoting: PrisonBull
Braun can be dumped for a late pick to free up some cap. Timo Meier and Kevin Labanc offer sheets are being printed off as we speak...

Braun's gone
19 juin 2019 à 19 h 13
Rejoint: mars 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 148
Quoting: Goldninja0
Braun's gone

...the day after my post.
19 juin 2019 à 22 h 14
Rejoint: mai 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 12
Quoting: OpaqueZoo
Being "not good at defense" is more than outweighed by all the puck possession and offensive production that they both contribute to.

?????
What the hell have you been drinking, LOL!!!
They are two of the worst players in the NHL at their position.
wajgy a aimé ceci.
23 juin 2019 à 14 h 40
Mentions "j'aime": 1
Quoting: Brian2016
The issue now becomes: How expensive will Timo Meirer and Joe Pavelski be? Their numbers will be high.

think that Meier will want to get pretty similar sum as Skinner got..
Brian2016 a aimé ceci.
23 juin 2019 à 19 h 27
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Rejoint: juill. 2015
Mentions "j'aime": 22,464
Another case where a GM (Wilson) has to justify the trade he made by acquiring EK in the first place by. resigning him long term.
23 juin 2019 à 21 h 43
Quoting: wajgy
think that Meier will want to get pretty similar sum as Skinner got..

I'd much rather have Timo than Skinner. Timo is a multi-dimensional player any team would be lucky to have and he's 5 years younger than Skinner, too.
29 juin 2019 à 3 h 55
Rejoint: juin 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 60
Horrible crippling move to franchise... Krap Karl can't play in the west, he is too small, fragile, will never play a full season in those 8 years under contract unless bought out... You can't pay a player more than 10/11% of the cap hit expecting to work out either... 9M is the max you can pay somebody w/ a 81.5M payroll... Sharks would have probably won Cup if they kept Hoffman went into season w/ DeMelo/Heed as right shot D behind Braun/Burns... Then make a move to improve their real weakness the left shot D since Dillon was their best player even over 8M Vlasic... He had like 1 SHG a GWG w/ like a +20 something... I get why they signed him to a horrible deal nobody else would have paid him 9M+ for 7 or 8 years... Sharks tax rate, horrible state, desperate to make this work even though team will never win cup all factored in... I figure they buy him out in 4 years, either way Krap Karl will get hurt if they in playoffs or spend most of this contract nursing injuries etc... He is a shadow of the player they claim him to be in first place as Sharks showed to world...
SpaghettiPasta a aimé ceci.
28 févr. 2020 à 13 h 41
torontos finest
Rejoint: juill. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 11,169
Quoting: DDoverChucky
You want to bet on that?

lmao
29 févr. 2020 à 11 h 39
v5 CBJ GM
Quoting: mondo
lmao

Why are you still here
SpaghettiPasta a aimé ceci.
29 févr. 2020 à 20 h 15
torontos finest
Rejoint: juill. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 11,169
Quoting: MaxDomi13
Why are you still here

i'm always here
22 juill. 2021 à 18 h 59
Rejoint: mai 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 51
this had aged like expired milk.
24 juill. 2021 à 2 h 41
Brad Boyes please Wq
Rejoint: août 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 714
Well Well Well
Karlsson contract vs Jones Contract
Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
5 juill. 2022 à 19 h 23
Bedard23
Rejoint: mai 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 4,439
I knew this deal would age poorly at some point but wasn’t expecting it by year 1

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Chargement de l'animation
Soumettre les modifications du sondage