SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Signings

Toronto Maple Leafs signed Auston Matthews (5 Years / $11,640,250 AAV)

Was this a good signing?
Le graphique a été masqué

Options de sondage

5 févr. 2019 à 14 h 6
Follow CapFriendly
Rejoint: mars 2015
Mentions "j'aime": 555
Quoting: HabsForEver
Now Arizona can get him for free at 27 instead of giving up 4 draft picks. I'm sure they are happy.

Quoting: Dszkoda6
thats actually better becuase we dont give up any first round picks and get a good crack at him in 2024 and anything can happen between now and then

How?
No way Leafs management would let Matthews walk for free if he wants to go to free agency.
habs_fan123 a aimé ceci.
5 févr. 2019 à 14 h 6
Just Keep Swimming
Rejoint: juin 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 5,555
Like letting JVR/Bozak and now Gardiner walk. Yeah, great management right there.

they are contending. you don't sell when your contending lol.
People have got to get out of this mindset....
habs_fan123 a aimé ceci.
5 févr. 2019 à 14 h 7
Rejoint: janv. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 2,240
Quoting: tatatavares
There's nothing more exclusive than Stanley Cup success. It's why JT came home.

By the time Matthews is UFA, the Coyotes will probably be playing in Houston anyways

33+ Million in 3 players. At the cap with no defense. I wish you luck in bringing the cup back to Canada.
weirfanno1, Briley, habs_fan123 and 1 other person a aimé ceci.
5 févr. 2019 à 14 h 8
Buljujarvi
Rejoint: juill. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 2,552
please get more no's than koskinen
Jetman a aimé ceci.
5 févr. 2019 à 14 h 9
Dom6Yotes
Rejoint: août 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 568
Quoting: tatatavares
There's nothing more exclusive than Stanley Cup success. It's why JT came home.

By the time Matthews is UFA, the Coyotes will probably be playing in Houston anyways

and all you can do is assume that what if they dont move then ?
HabsForEver et habs_fan123 a aimé ceci.
5 févr. 2019 à 14 h 9
Quoting: Jarvis
How?
No way Leafs management would let Matthews walk for free if he wants to go to free agency.

John Tavares on resigning with NYI January 1st "I want to stay in New York for the rest of my career"
John Tavares on July 1st after signing with Toronto "I'm where I wanted to play when I was growing up, it's a dream come true"

Matthews can feed Toronto whatever they want to hear. At the end of the day, he will play where he wants to play.
DSZ, weirfanno1, habs_fan123 and 1 other person a aimé ceci.
5 févr. 2019 à 14 h 10
Quoting: Random2152
they are contending. you don't sell when your contending lol.
People have got to get out of this mindset....

You don't lose valuable assets like that for nothing. If you want to stay contending, you either resign those guys or trade them at TD for assets with control.
habs_fan123 a aimé ceci.
5 févr. 2019 à 14 h 12
Rejoint: janv. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 11,896
Thought the idea behind jacking up the signing bonuses was to save on the AAV?

Also I get why they did it, but I really think they're going to regret not paying for those free agent years.
5 févr. 2019 à 14 h 12
Just Keep Swimming
33+ Million in 3 players. At the cap with no defense. I wish you luck in bringing the cup back to Canada.

No defence? You fr? 7th best in ga, vezna contending goalie (he wont win tho), Rielly is a #1 stud, Muzzin is a great #2, Gards is a perfect offense #3, and Dermott looks ready to step into a top 4 role. Zaitzev is better than most think (he plays 22 mins a night buried in his own end by babs), it is just that his contract sucks.

And then we have the prospects who will be ready within a year or two

So idk wtf you are talking about no defence... lol.
5 févr. 2019 à 14 h 13
Dom6Yotes
How?

he can just do the same thing like Tavares did
habs_fan123 a aimé ceci.
5 févr. 2019 à 14 h 13
Big John T
Rejoint: sept. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 84
If you want to evaluate this deal, you must consider the lower cap hit of a 5 year deal.

To get our value, we'll need to deploy the rest of our cap space and win the cup. Everything is worth it then.
We'll be able to attract so many free agents at discounted prices that we can get through a 3 year period of no picks and prospects in the pipeline.

No one expected Tavares to be as impactful as he has been this season. Heck, even adding Muzzin has people thinking the Leafs are a whole new beast.
I really hope we buy another RHD for this playoffs, so long as we keep don't touch the top player at any role -- because it can only be a caliber of player with an affordable cap hit until summer 2020.
habs_fan123 a aimé ceci.
5 févr. 2019 à 14 h 13
Mentions "j'aime": 247
all the talk was about Matthews taking a bit less in exchange for shorter term so the team could stay more competitive with the cap. This looks like he took less years but didn't drop a CENT on term. I twas expecting 12 if it was 7-8years, but maybe 10 if it was only five years. Guess he got the higher AAV PLUS the shorter term.

Worst of both worlds for the franchise.
weirfanno1 et Patriot12992 a aimé ceci.
5 févr. 2019 à 14 h 14
Just Keep Swimming
You don't lose valuable assets like that for nothing. If you want to stay contending, you either resign those guys or trade them at TD for assets with control.

Or... and just hear me out... You keep your good players and try to win the god damned cup. You are in a build for tomorrow mindset. The Leafs are officially in WIN NOW mode for the duration of this contract.
habs_fan123 a aimé ceci.
5 févr. 2019 à 14 h 15
Follow CapFriendly

Not sure if you're here to troll Leafs fans.
Thought these decisions were fairly obvious. Leafs obvious couldn't re-sign JVR and bozak due to the upcoming RFAs. So they kept them for a playoff run. This way they didnt have to trade draft picks for playoff rentals. JVR and bozak were were free playoff rentals.
Why help other playoff contenders?
habs_fan123 a aimé ceci.
5 févr. 2019 à 14 h 16
No defence? You fr? 7th best in ga, vezna contending goalie (he wont win tho), Rielly is a #1 stud, Muzzin is a great #2, Gards is a perfect offense #3, and Dermott looks ready to step into a top 4 role. Zaitzev is better than most think (he plays 22 mins a night buried in his own end by babs), it is just that his contract sucks.

You say no defense and then follow it up with stats provided by an elite goaltender. Freddy can't play like that forever.
tatatavares et habs_fan123 a aimé ceci.
5 févr. 2019 à 14 h 16
Dom6Yotes

Its still not ideal for a Stanley Cup contending team you still giving two of Gardinar, Hainsey, or Zaitsev top 4 minutes and all of them shouldnt really get top 4 minutes
tatatavares, HabsForEver, habs_fan123 and 1 other person a aimé ceci.
5 févr. 2019 à 14 h 17
Jetsfan
Rejoint: sept. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 2,585
I'd like to be the team that trades for him in 2023/24, you only pay a 1/4 of the 750K at TDL...
HabsForEver a aimé ceci.
5 févr. 2019 à 14 h 17
Black Lives Matter
Rejoint: mars 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 4,649
Leafs do have way better management then Islanders. If he wanted to go to free agency, Leafs management would definitely trade him before letting him walk for nothing.

Idk if the Isles management is that bad. JT probably only wanted to stay if Snow was still the GM. So, he told them not to trade him at the deadline and changed his mind when Snow got fired. Just guessing though. And even if Toronto trades him, they'd still lose him. They'd get something for him, but they'd probably much rather keep him.
habs_fan123 a aimé ceci.
5 févr. 2019 à 14 h 18
Follow CapFriendly
You say no defense and then follow it up with stats provided by an elite goaltender. Freddy can't play like that forever.

I'm just glad Leafs are not paying their elite goaltender $10.5M for the next 8 seasons
5 févr. 2019 à 14 h 18
Just Keep Swimming
Quoting: Dszkoda6
Its still not ideal for a Stanley Cup contending team you still giving two of Gardinar, Hainsey, or Zaitsev top 4 minutes and all of them shouldnt really get top 4 minutes

Gards shouldn't get top 4 minutes?
Okay you are officially a troll
5 févr. 2019 à 14 h 19
Rejoint: avr. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 176
The cap hit is fine for an 8 year deal. For a 5 year deal this is a joke! Rejoice anti-leafs nation!
weirfanno1, Briley et Patriot12992 a aimé ceci.
5 févr. 2019 à 14 h 21
Jetsfan
Rejoint: sept. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 2,585
Quoting: rangersandislesfan
Idk if the Isles management is that bad. JT probably only wanted to stay if Snow was still the GM. So, he told them not to trade him at the deadline and changed his mind when Snow got fired. Just guessing though. And even if Toronto trades him, they'd still lose him. They'd get something for him, but they'd probably much rather keep him.

A trade(as long as teams have cap space) will actually be reasonable after the first two years...
5 févr. 2019 à 14 h 22
I'm just glad Leafs are not paying their elite goaltender $10.5M for the next 8 seasons

Better than paying 30+ million for 3 players. I wish you luck.
5 févr. 2019 à 14 h 23
Gards shouldn't get top 4 minutes?
Okay you are officially a troll

Starting next year, you will have 2 LHD that belong in the top 4. Sounds like the Habs situation. Except we aren't tight up to the cap and aren't attempting to win-now.
habs_fan123 et Patriot12992 a aimé ceci.
5 févr. 2019 à 14 h 25
Or... and just hear me out... You keep your good players and try to win the god damned cup. You are in a build for tomorrow mindset. The Leafs are officially in WIN NOW mode for the duration of this contract.

Yeah great management. Trade all of your picks and prospects for rentals until you have nothing left. Great management right there!
weirfanno1 et habs_fan123 a aimé ceci.

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Chargement de l'animation
Soumettre les modifications du sondage