SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Vegas Golden Knights

Vegas in Cap Trouble

1 nov. 2018 à 3 h 21
Rejoint: déc. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 3,523
Would someone please try to explain to me how Vegas can possibly stay under the cap next season? They only have about $5.7M in cap space right now and that doesn't include Nate Schmidt when he returns from his 20 game suspension. Their cap hit next year will include significant raises to Fleury, Pacioretty, Tuch, and possibly William Karlsson. These raises will total a minimum of about $11.75M not including any possible raise for Karlsson. Where's the money gonna come from? I'd really like to know. Unless the cap goes up over $5M I don't know what they'll do.

I think that several of George McPhee's offseason moves will come back to bite Vegas. He overpaid Theodore by about $2M, gave Fleury a raise when he didn't have to, and spent way to much money and assets on the highly sought after UFA Paul Stasny and would-be UFA Max Pacioretty. It seems a little risky for GM George McPhee to risk the next 5 years of his franchise on the possible success of so many players on the back end of their careers. The 5 year plan or 7 year plan, I forget which it was, quickly became a one year plan when they reached the finals last season. Now, they've mortgaged a good portion of their future on Pacioretty (2G, 0A) and Stasny (0G, 0A) in only 3 games played this season. Big risk here. Big risk.
OldNYIfan a aimé ceci.
1 nov. 2018 à 15 h 25
Below Market Value
Rejoint: nov. 2015
Mentions "j'aime": 1,324
This thread sounds pretty similar to the last Vegas thread you posted.
1 nov. 2018 à 16 h 26
Rejoint: juin 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 433
Modifié 1 nov. 2018 à 18 h 55
It's tight, but doable.
https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/904283
1 nov. 2018 à 18 h 53
Démarrer sujet
Quoting: DoctorBreakfast
This thread sounds pretty similar to the last Vegas thread you posted.

I guess I'm having a difficult time seeing the rationale behind many of the moves they've made. It's curious to me why they'd take on so much risk and uncertainty at one time. What are they gonna do if Karlsson ends up w/ 35-40G and 75-80 points? He's gonna want $8M+ and deserve it as that's the going rate for #1 Centers right now. It sure doesn't seem like George McPhee has been a tough enough negotiator.
1 nov. 2018 à 18 h 56
Quoting: Brian2016
I guess I'm having a difficult time seeing the rationale behind many of the moves they've made. It's curious to me why they'd take on so much risk and uncertainty at one time. What are they gonna do if Karlsson ends up w/ 35-40G and 75-80 points? He's gonna want $8M+ and deserve it as that's the going rate for #1 Centers right now. It sure doesn't seem like George McPhee has been a tough enough negotiator.

Can you explain further? What risks are you referring to? What other option did they have with Karlsson?
1 nov. 2018 à 19 h 12
Démarrer sujet
Quoting: Bflo_Soldier
Can you explain further? What risks are you referring to? What other option did they have with Karlsson?

I def understand the logic behind the Karlsson contract. Whatever he's really worth after this season they'll pay him. If last season was a fluke they're protected by offering the 1 year deal. That was smart. I simply feel that signing Pacioretty to a huge money deal after a career worst season AND signing Stasny at the same time carries too much risk at one time. As we've seen countless times, one bad contract can sink a team financially for years. Look at teams like NYR, DET, and ANA: It takes years to recover from bad contracts, especially when you overpay guys in their 30's. When you're trying to contend for the Cup you need every dollar of cap space.

If either Pacioretty or Stasny doesn't work out in Vegas they're in big trouble. Then they threw in Theodore's contract on top of that and you have the potential for a big mess. But, everything could work out really well in Vegas, too. It's a little to early to hit the panic button. I just feel like their was absolutely no downside to holding off on the Pacioretty extension until he proves his value in Vegas. Could he possibly be worth more than $7M after this season? I don't think so.
1 nov. 2018 à 20 h 35
I def understand the logic behind the Karlsson contract. Whatever he's really worth after this season they'll pay him. If last season was a fluke they're protected by offering the 1 year deal. That was smart. I simply feel that signing Pacioretty to a huge money deal after a career worst season AND signing Stasny at the same time carries too much risk at one time. As we've seen countless times, one bad contract can sink a team financially for years. Look at teams like NYR, DET, and ANA: It takes years to recover from bad contracts, especially when you overpay guys in their 30's. When you're trying to contend for the Cup you need every dollar of cap space.

If either Pacioretty or Stasny doesn't work out in Vegas they're in big trouble. Then they threw in Theodore's contract on top of that and you have the potential for a big mess. But, everything could work out really well in Vegas, too. It's a little to early to hit the panic button. I just feel like their was absolutely no downside to holding off on the Pacioretty extension until he proves his value in Vegas. Could he possibly be worth more than $7M after this season? I don't think so.

Okay; raised eyebrows for the Patches extension are fair. The whole world knew someone was going to overpay for Stastny this offseason, but at least the term is pretty short, and he'll still be a pretty solid overpaid player at that.

I see now you're comment about Karlsson wasn't about any mismanagement of his situation, but how it impacts or is impacted by their other decisions.
OldNYIfan a aimé ceci.
24 juin 2019 à 19 h 39
Once a Kings Fan Too
Rejoint: juin 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 24,580
Would someone please try to explain to me how Vegas can possibly stay under the cap next season? They only have about $5.7M in cap space right now and that doesn't include Nate Schmidt when he returns from his 20 game suspension. Their cap hit next year will include significant raises to Fleury, Pacioretty, Tuch, and possibly William Karlsson. These raises will total a minimum of about $11.75M not including any possible raise for Karlsson. Where's the money gonna come from? I'd really like to know. Unless the cap goes up over $5M I don't know what they'll do.

I think that several of George McPhee's offseason moves will come back to bite Vegas. He overpaid Theodore by about $2M, gave Fleury a raise when he didn't have to, and spent way to much money and assets on the highly sought after UFA Paul Stasny and would-be UFA Max Pacioretty. It seems a little risky for GM George McPhee to risk the next 5 years of his franchise on the possible success of so many players on the back end of their careers. The 5 year plan or 7 year plan, I forget which it was, quickly became a one year plan when they reached the finals last season. Now, they've mortgaged a good portion of their future on Pacioretty (2G, 0A) and Stasny (0G, 0A) in only 3 games played this season. Big risk here. Big risk.

Now that we've reached the off-season, some things appear to be clear. First, if Las Vegas is going to keep Nikita Gusev (unsigned at the time you originally posted your question), then McPhee is going to have to move one of Marchesseault/Smith plus one of Eakin/Miller plus Holden. It's doable but tight. My main concern is that a lot of talk developed at the end of the season about management's dis-satisfaction with Colin Miller. Las Vegas is very thin on RD and I hope they don't feel the need to move him as a cap dump.
Brian2016 a aimé ceci.
24 juin 2019 à 22 h 56
Démarrer sujet
Quoting: OldNYIfan
Now that we've reached the off-season, some things appear to be clear. First, if Las Vegas is going to keep Nikita Gusev (unsigned at the time you originally posted your question), then McPhee is going to have to move one of Marchesseault/Smith plus one of Eakin/Miller plus Holden. It's doable but tight. My main concern is that a lot of talk developed at the end of the season about management's dis-satisfaction with Colin Miller. Las Vegas is very thin on RD and I hope they don't feel the need to move him as a cap dump.

Lucky for VGK, they don't have any bad untraceable contracts right now. I think they're safe for next season. As far as the cap goes, they're gonna need to trade someone from their top six. It's unfortunate, but necessary. I'd trade Riley Smith or Paul Stasny. Both represent good value at their current AAV's. On defense, I bet either Miller or Holden is traded.
OldNYIfan a aimé ceci.
3 juill. 2019 à 23 h 10
Rejoint: juin 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 60

While its too late now.. Not signing guys to contracts worth millions more than their value like Fleury making 7M or Max would have helped... Moving Trash Reaves would free up like 3M, ditching another waste in Holden would have saved another 2.2M or so... That would have given like 5M in cap savings or more... Maybe closer to 6M, if found somebody to take Clarkson contract that would have given another 5M even if he goes on LTIR it matters... Then moving an idiot like Eaken that tries to injure Joe wearing a cage would have freed another 4M... Then Haula is like or was 3M... Instead of doing that they traded only decent contract they had in Miller at under 4M their only right shot legit right defenseman... Who will cost them 4.5M to 5M to get a player not even as good like a Cody Ceci or Zaittsev who shoot right...

Vegas will finish last in Pacific missing playoffs... NOt having retained the 500K in the horrible tAtar deal would have been a nice plus for them too smile... Fire their head coach, then remove GM:GM, after that maybe bring in Ron Francis or somebody who has a clue like me smile. I'm wondering will they trade Gusev like I said they would since they are blacklisted by Russians for most part after way they treated their player smile... 1 goal in 3 games but they ran him out of town for trash like Reaves smile... Who is not superman just a worthless player that even buying him out/Holden would have been better than what they did smile.

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Ajouter une option
Soumettre le sondage