(SJS / OTT) - Karlsson, Perron for Tierney, DeMelo, Norris, Balcers & picks

Who won the trade?
Le graphique a été masqué

Options de sondage

13 sept. 2018 à 19 h 12
Rejoint: juin 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 30
Quoting: OpaqueZoo
You do realize that having one of the best defensemen in the world on the ice for 50 minutes a game is a very good idea, right?

Best offensive dman, sure. Not defensive dman though, you know, the main component to defense.
13 sept. 2018 à 19 h 15
Habs/Pens fan
Rejoint: oct. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 273
Quoting: pharrow
yeah you could see this coming as it's the start of training camp going on.
I honestly don't think it's bad value for Ottawa. I know people will hate on it. But they got a former 1st round pick, A 1st round pick, and 2 second round picks, one that might turn to a 1st.
Odds are high that will help them with a rebuild.
Karlsson was leaving, everyone knew that. At least they got something.
For SJS I would hope they have a contract already worked out. If EK decides to up and leave at the end of the year, everyone will say the same thing, boy did they get burned.
SJS will get to see if EK is reasonable on his demands. If he comes out like 13 mil SJS sharks could already be handcuffed, considering all the picks they gave up to get him.

I don't he'll be a shark for that long honestly. The have 1 million under the cap and Pavelski will want an extension as well, you could say but Jumbo Joe needs one too? This will help them for the now but in 5 or 6 years they'll be in the basement. Worst prospect pool in the league, oldish core, a bunch of UFAs in 1 or 2 years.
13 sept. 2018 à 19 h 15
Rejoint: déc. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 679
Quoting: oilersfan089
Best offensive dman, sure. Not defensive dman though, you know, the main component to defense.

Do I have to explain you why offensive dmen who are amazing at zone exits while carrying the puck should always be preferable to those who are great at denying zone entries but bad at exiting, or prefer to chip the puck off the glass?
DoctorBreakfast a aimé ceci.
13 sept. 2018 à 19 h 54
Habs
Rejoint: juin 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 136
Quoting: I_Know_Nothing_About_Hockey_Or_Any_Sport2
If your goal is to injure him, maybe. But Hedman wasn't involved with this trade, so I don't see what that has to do with anything anyway.

Karlsson and Burns are two of the best defensemen in the world.
13 sept. 2018 à 19 h 55
Habs
Rejoint: juin 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 136

Except for the fact that when you have the puck the other team won't score and that Karlsson is one of the best defensemen at zone exits in the game.
13 sept. 2018 à 20 h 6
GM67
Rejoint: juill. 2015
Mentions "j'aime": 316
This is hilarious and Congratulations to the San Jose Sharks! Way to go Ottawa!!! wink
habs_fan123 et BadTakesExposed a aimé ceci.
13 sept. 2018 à 21 h 40
Rejoint: mars 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 7,700
Quoting: Hockeylover360
Yeah, the sens were tied to their hands.

They tied there own hands by eliminating half the league as trading partner though, too. What was Dorion thinking - that he doesn't want to meet Karlsson in the conference finals? laugh
habs_fan123 a aimé ceci.
13 sept. 2018 à 21 h 59
Black Lives Matter
Mentions "j'aime": 4,649
If this had happened at the draft instead, that would have been funny:

TV Person: "So, next up is [Team] with the [Number of pick] pick in the draft ... oh, wait though. Here's Gary Bettman."
Fans: "BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
Bettman: "We have a trade to announce!"
Fans sound interested, but still boo Gary Bettman.
Bettman: "Ottawa trades Erik Karlsson and Francis Perron to San Jose in exchange for Chris Tierny, Dylan DeMelo, Josh Norris, Rudolfs Balcers, a conditional 1st round pick in 2020, a conditional 2nd round pick in 2019, a conditional 2nd round pick in 2021, and a conditional 1st round pick in 2022. Ottawa trades Karlsson and Perron to San Jose for Tierny, DeMelo, Norris, Balcers, and four conditional draft picks. The next selection in the 2018 NHL draft belongs to the [team name]."
Fans just laugh at the trade.
13 sept. 2018 à 23 h 45
J.L.
Rejoint: juill. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 66
Quoting: jimithing1980
Ottawa did get SJ's 2017 1st round selection, a 2020 1st round pick, a 2019 2nd round pick, and a potential 2021 2nd rounder. All for a guy, regardless of how great he is, who only has 1 year left on his contract. I would say Ottawa got a pretty good return, given that there is no guarantee Karlsson will sign with SJ long term (or any other team for that matter, with the exception of maybe TB.) If SJ ends up winning a cup because of this, then it was clearly a great trade for them, but that is a big IF.

So you don't think the Sharks have quaranteed themselves a long term deal with Karlsson?
14 sept. 2018 à 1 h 5
N/a
Rejoint: févr. 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 48
I read this trade when it was reported and laughed hysterically like I was crazy in public. Sure people thought I thought something was funny but I was laughing mainly at the state of the senators team. Surely the Cleveland browns of the nhl. San Jose’s fleeces
rangersandislesfan a aimé ceci.
14 sept. 2018 à 5 h 4
Mentions "j'aime": 3,523
This trade is an absolute disgrace for OTT. Erik Karlsson went into last season as the #3 player in the entire NHL behind Sid and McDavid. They should've been able to acquire at least two GUARANTEED 1st round picks AND at least one top prospect from SJS. What at joke the OTT organization has become in recent years.
rangersandislesfan a aimé ceci.
14 sept. 2018 à 5 h 8
Duchene also mentioned last week that he "was waiting to see what Karlsson and Stone did before agreeing to an extension." Next summer, if not sooner, they'll lose Stone and Duchene-A year after losing Turris and Hoffman. This is a loser franchise. The writing on the wall is clearer than ever.
14 sept. 2018 à 5 h 13
The Pens have sold every one of their star players when their stock was at its lowest point. "You buy high and sell low you lose money" -Wall Street (the film)
It seems obvious but they haven't had a decent return on a trade since the lost to PIT in the East Finals.
14 sept. 2018 à 8 h 54
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Rejoint: juill. 2015
Mentions "j'aime": 22,624
Now that the Sharks have given some futures for Karlsson they will "obliged" to sign Karlsson..at almost any cost. We'll . Sharks have have to sign thirteen players with 29m. If EK takes 10m. 12 players for 19m.
If Karlsson is resigned, it's an expensive defence, and will dependent on some cheaply paid wingers to be good NHLers. That's a contrast to what the Leafs appear to be doing.

Going to be disappointed teams in the Pacific this year. Sharks, Vegas, and if Kovi does OK...the Kings That's three playoff spots Leaves just one spot for Ducks, Oilers, Flames, and Canucks.
14 sept. 2018 à 9 h 10
get ur corsi up
Rejoint: mai 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 1,558
If you ever feel like your team isn’t going anywhere. Just be thankful you’re not a Sens fan.
14 sept. 2018 à 9 h 26
Mentions "j'aime": 10
Quoting: JonJon
So you don't think the Sharks have quaranteed themselves a long term deal with Karlsson?

I absolutely do not think they've guaranteed themselves a long term deal with EK. If it was guaranteed, it would have been a sign and trade. Sure, I believe they've spoken with EK, and I believe they have some type of baseline in mind for negotiations, but nothing has been settled. EK has to know that the Sharks will be good for 1-2 more seasons at which point their core is decimated and their farm system is not desirable. This, combined with being backed into cap hell, does not bode well long term.
14 sept. 2018 à 9 h 33
Mentions "j'aime": 10
Quoting: Brian2016
This trade is an absolute disgrace for OTT. Erik Karlsson went into last season as the #3 player in the entire NHL behind Sid and McDavid. They should've been able to acquire at least two GUARANTEED 1st round picks AND at least one top prospect from SJS. What at joke the OTT organization has become in recent years.

You aren't that far off what they did acquire. They obtained SJ's top prospect for sure and one guaranteed 1st rounder. If all you are asking for is one remaining guaranteed first rounder, they are getting at least 2 second rounders, one of which very likely would become a first rounder. This is not to mention a proven 1D, 3C, and additional prospect that many believe is far better than he is being considered. With the combination of everything, I think that comes out to far better than the one extra guaranteed first rounder you are calling for.
14 sept. 2018 à 10 h 27
Retired V2 V3 GM
Rejoint: mai 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 1,141
Wow SanJose is now stalked!! Vlasic, Burns and EK on Defense and of course we can't forget Braun and Dillon and rookie Tim Heed.
14 sept. 2018 à 19 h 23
chadb
Rejoint: mars 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 12
I can't help but wonder how long it will be until Dorion rips open his shirt to reveal a sharks jersey lol
15 sept. 2018 à 11 h 8
Let's go Pens!
Mentions "j'aime": 382
I used to be stunned with these stupid Dorion trades. Not anymore. I think he knows he could never be remembered as one of the best GMs of the NHL's history, then he decides to be remember as one of the worst (maybe THE worst!!!).

As for the Sharks, I thought we just could see a D with Karlsson, Burns and Vlasic on video games. It's scared to see those 3 playing for the same team. Burns and Karlsson are arguably the 2 best offensive d-men of the league and Vlasic is one of the best playing on his blue line. To me, Sharks now have the best D of the NHL and they're a top contender to win their first cup.
15 sept. 2018 à 12 h 25
Rejoint: oct. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 69
No one seems to understand the business side behind this. Nor do you understand a rebuild. And I’m not a Sens fan.

I think the biggest reason why the return looks so little is the simple fact that Karlsson has 1 yr left on his contract and the Sens couldn’t chance him walking for free if he didn’t sign. Atleast they got SOMETHING... which is an understatement. Tierney is an underrated and very capable two-way forward and Balcers is a solid prospect with lots of upside, he was the Sharks best prospect in the AHL last season.

If I was Ottawa I would’ve just traded Karlsson at the Draft to any team with the best offer. Regardless of East or West coast. Had they done that they would’ve gotten a lot more high end prospects in return.
17 sept. 2018 à 16 h 53
Rejoint: juin 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 30
Quoting: kaljakori
Do I have to explain you why offensive dmen who are amazing at zone exits while carrying the puck should always be preferable to those who are great at denying zone entries but bad at exiting, or prefer to chip the puck off the glass?

I wouldn't say "always". You can end up with a back and forth situation where nobody really plays defense, and they just trade chances. Not a very good strategy to win. Obviously it's better to have a good mix of both types of dmen, but even better to have dmen who are good at both breakout passes and denying zone entries. One of the reasons people are so high on Doughty compared to Karlsson; he can actually do both very well.
17 sept. 2018 à 17 h 32
Rejoint: mai 2015
Mentions "j'aime": 7
Quoting: Dotz789

I think the biggest reason why the return looks so little is the simple fact that Karlsson has 1 yr left on his contract and the Sens couldn’t chance him walking for free if he didn’t sign.

They didn't even negotiate with him to attempt to sign him. Claiming they didn't want him to walk is laughable, how would they know he would refuse a re-signing if they didn't even bother to negotiate after the initial offer? They also could have waited until trade deadline and gotten a better package then this pile of junk. And don't even try to argue that Tierney, who is underrated yet still a third liner at best, has any value whatsoever compared to the best defenseman since Lidstrom.

They offered him a non-market value contract on July 1 as a guise to get people to buy season tickets. Dorion admitted they decided they will trade Karlsson in February. Every team decision is made to decrease money, not to rebuild, but to simply lower expenses. Don't believe that rebuild BS, the team had a young core with Stone, Karlsson, Duchene, and trew it away to lower expenses.
17 sept. 2018 à 19 h 37
Mentions "j'aime": 679
I wouldn't say "always". You can end up with a back and forth situation where nobody really plays defense, and they just trade chances. Not a very good strategy to win. Obviously it's better to have a good mix of both types of dmen, but even better to have dmen who are good at both breakout passes and denying zone entries. One of the reasons people are so high on Doughty compared to Karlsson; he can actually do both very well.

Breakout passes have nothing to do with chipping the puck off the glass. Being great at zone exits can also be either by carrying or by breakout.
18 sept. 2018 à 15 h 36
Rejoint: juin 2015
Mentions "j'aime": 128

The narrative that Karlsson is bad in his own zone is oversold, anyways. Karlsson is just as solid at playing defense as most of the "elite" defenders out there. This narrative just sticks because of how often he ends up chipping in on the offensive side.
mhockey91 a aimé ceci.

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Chargement de l'animation
Soumettre les modifications du sondage