2. Niederreiter, Nino
  3. Spurgeon, Jared
  4. Choix de 2e ronde en 2019 (MIN)
  5. Choix de 3e ronde en 2020 (MIN)
MIN
  1. Draisaitl, Leon
  2. Choix de 5e ronde en 2021 (EDM)
EDM
  1. Nyquist, Gustav (2 375 000 $ retained)
  2. Choix de 7e ronde en 2020 (DET)
DET
  1. Kassian, Zack
  2. Mantha, Ryan
  3. Montoya, Al (531 250 $ retained)
  4. Choix de 2e ronde en 2020 (EDM)
  5. Choix de 5e ronde en 2020 (EDM)
EDM
  1. Namestnikov, Vladislav
  2. Choix de 3e ronde en 2020 (NYR)
NYR
  1. Belpedio, Louis
  2. Lucic, Milan
  3. Maksimov, Kirill
  4. Choix de 1e ronde en 2019 (EDM)
Rachats de contrats
Transactions impliquant une retenue de salaire
Repêchage1e ronde2e ronde3e ronde4e ronde5e ronde6e ronde7e ronde
Logo de EDM
Logo de MIN
Logo de EDM
Logo de NYI
Logo de EDM
Logo de EDM
Logo de EDM
Logo de EDM
Logo de EDM
Logo de MIN
Logo de NYR
Logo de EDM
Logo de EDM
Logo de DET
Logo de EDM
Logo de EDM
Logo de EDM
Logo de EDM
Logo de EDM
Logo de EDM
TAILLE DE LA FORMATIONPLAFOND SALARIALCAP HITEXCÉDENTS Info-bulleBONISESPACE SOUS LE PLAFOND SALARIAL
2379 500 000 $72 552 415 $0 $2 500 000 $6 947 585 $
Ailier gaucheCentreAilier droit
12 500 000 $12 500 000 $
C
UFA - 8
5 250 000 $5 250 000 $
AG, AD
UFA - 4
3 250 000 $3 250 000 $
AG, AD, C
UFA - 2
6 000 000 $6 000 000 $
AG, C
UFA - 3
925 000 $925 000 $ (Bonis de performance2 500 000 $$2M)
AD
UFA - 1
950 000 $950 000 $
AG, AD
NTC
UFA - 1
3 100 000 $3 100 000 $
AD, C
UFA - 2
2 000 000 $2 000 000 $
AD, AG
UFA - 1
1 500 000 $1 500 000 $
AG, AD
UFA - 2
800 000 $800 000 $
AG
UFA
1 150 000 $1 150 000 $
C
UFA - 2
800 000 $800 000 $
AD, AG
UFA - 1
650 000 $650 000 $
AD, AG
UFA - 1
675 000 $675 000 $
AG, C
UFA - 1
Défenseur gaucherDéfenseur droitierGardien de but
4 167 000 $4 167 000 $
DG
UFA - 5
5 187 500 $5 187 500 $
DD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
4 166 666 $4 166 666 $
G
M-NTC
UFA - 1
4 166 666 $4 166 666 $
DD
UFA - 3
2 500 000 $2 500 000 $
G
NMC
UFA - 1
3 750 000 $3 750 000 $
DG
UFA - 2
1 900 000 $1 900 000 $
DD
UFA - 2
4 000 000 $4 000 000 $
DG/DD
NMC
UFA - 3
1 000 000 $1 000 000 $
DG
UFA - 1
Laissés de côtéListe des blessés (IR)Liste des blessés à long terme (LTIR)
5 500 000 $5 500 000 $
DG/DD
NMC
UFA - 3

Code d'intégration

• Pour afficher cette équipe sur un autre site Web ou blog, ajoutez ce iFrame à la page appropriée
  • Personnalisez les dimensions dans le code IFrame ci-dessous pour adapter votre site de manière appropriée. Minimum recommandé: 400px.

Texte intégré

Cliquer pour surligner
7 sept. 2018 à 13 h 2
Rejoint: avr. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 672
No chance you get Kreider and get rid of Lucic in the same trade.
Root a aimé ceci.
7 sept. 2018 à 13 h 4
Démarrer sujet
What in tarnation
Rejoint: oct. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 31,448
Quoting: aspina25
No chance you get Kreider and get rid of Lucic in the same trade.

Well how about Namestnikov?
7 sept. 2018 à 13 h 7
Rejoint: avr. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 672
Quoting: BurgerBoss
Well how about Namestnikov?

Yeah, that package would probably be able to fetch Namestnikov and a 3rd
7 sept. 2018 à 13 h 9
Rejoint: sept. 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 221
Rangers hang up the phone. You saying Kreider is not even worth a 1st rounder? and we have to take on Lucic horrific contact as well to get that 1st rounder? cause them prospect anit worth ****.
7 sept. 2018 à 13 h 19
Banni
Rejoint: mai 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 7,855
And here we are back to where all Oiler posts go. No where. I really want the Oilers to be good but you can't win much in today's NHL if you only have 2 lines that are decent. This lineup you have here has an amazing first line (Any line with McDavid is amazing) an okay 2nd line and garbage on the bottom 2 lines that will get torched constantly. Also the defence isn't good.

The oilers should cut salary everywhere they can and try to get a lot of young guys and draft picks that will be ready to help out in 2-3 years. Then maybe they can ice a full lineup.
7 sept. 2018 à 13 h 38
Steve
Rejoint: juill. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 480
Detroit prob excepts
7 sept. 2018 à 13 h 39
Bryzgalovs_bears
Rejoint: mars 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 32
Damn just give us a 2nd and Mantha/5th for Nyquist. Montoya would be our AHL back up where I'd rather have Rybar. I don't want Kassian anywhere near our locker room.
7 sept. 2018 à 13 h 55
Démarrer sujet
What in tarnation
Quoting: Bryzgalovs_bears
Damn just give us a 2nd and Mantha/5th for Nyquist. Montoya would be our AHL back up where I'd rather have Rybar. I don't want Kassian anywhere near our locker room.

Kassian's going there for monetary reasons. This team'd be over the cap if Kassian's not traded. Montoya is traded there since I think you'll probably sell Howard until deadline so he could play as your 2nd/3rd goalie, depending on Säteri's game.
7 sept. 2018 à 13 h 59
Tspky
Rejoint: févr. 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 980
no one is taking that lucic contract.. the first rounder alone is barely enough payment for that, then you want namestnikov back for two no shot no name prospects? easy pass
7 sept. 2018 à 14 h 1
Démarrer sujet
What in tarnation
Quoting: Spanky227
no one is taking that lucic contract.. the first rounder alone is barely enough payment for that, then you want namestnikov back for two no shot no name prospects? easy pass

Say, what should be given to NYR to convince them take Lucic's contract? That's one team where he could waive his contract and that's one team who can afford his contract, so NYR is a good place to trade him...
7 sept. 2018 à 17 h 56
Rejoint: juill. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 973
Minnesota and Detroit probably accept. i just dont know where Lucic and his 30M can go. if you are planning to be in the running in the next 3 yrs why would you take that contract.
8 sept. 2018 à 14 h 5
Simpleton
Rejoint: juin 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 502
Quoting: LoganOllivier
And here we are back to where all Oiler posts go. No where. I really want the Oilers to be good but you can't win much in today's NHL if you only have 2 lines that are decent. This lineup you have here has an amazing first line (Any line with McDavid is amazing) an okay 2nd line and garbage on the bottom 2 lines that will get torched constantly. Also the defence isn't good.

The oilers should cut salary everywhere they can and try to get a lot of young guys and draft picks that will be ready to help out in 2-3 years. Then maybe they can ice a full lineup.

Understandably, many Oiler fans have lost patience with management. Others may not be familiar, and therefore not recognize, a GM that takes a systematic approach to building a team. Winning the McDavid draft lottery, and then getting within one missed goaltender interference call from reaching the Conference finals doesn’t help fans recognize what is really going on with the team.

Chiarelli inhereted an imbalanced team with almost no organizational depth. He’s made moves to address both issues. The list of prospect d-men is actually quite impressive, given Chiarelli’s starting point, and the same can be said about goaltending. There are finally late round draft picks in the organization who actually look like they could become NHL players. That’s a far cry from the pre-2015 Oilers. The NHL roster still has glaring holes, but it seems that people have forgotten how bad this team was just a few years ago. I think we’ll see a major improvement in performance within the next two seasons. Blowing things up now will simply make for a longer road to sustainable success.
CD282 a aimé ceci.
10 sept. 2018 à 10 h 44
Banni
Quoting: uphere
Understandably, many Oiler fans have lost patience with management. Others may not be familiar, and therefore not recognize, a GM that takes a systematic approach to building a team. Winning the McDavid draft lottery, and then getting within one missed goaltender interference call from reaching the Conference finals doesn’t help fans recognize what is really going on with the team.

Chiarelli inhereted an imbalanced team with almost no organizational depth. He’s made moves to address both issues. The list of prospect d-men is actually quite impressive, given Chiarelli’s starting point, and the same can be said about goaltending. There are finally late round draft picks in the organization who actually look like they could become NHL players. That’s a far cry from the pre-2015 Oilers. The NHL roster still has glaring holes, but it seems that people have forgotten how bad this team was just a few years ago. I think we’ll see a major improvement in performance within the next two seasons. Blowing things up now will simply make for a longer road to sustainable success.

Don't give Chairelli a pass, his moves have systematically gutted this team of talent and speed and replaced it with size and toughness which only works if the players who are big and tough are also fast and talented, they are not.
10 sept. 2018 à 16 h 8
Simpleton
Don't give Chairelli a pass, his moves have systematically gutted this team of talent and speed and replaced it with size and toughness which only works if the players who are big and tough are also fast and talented, they are not.

I’m not letting Chiarelli off the hook, I’m just trying to offer what I think is a fair analysis of his work in Edmonton. I don’t like some of Chiarelli’s moves but I try to look at them cumulatively, and evaluate them in the context of building an organization. In 2015, he inherited a perennial loser with an unbalanced roster built around a core of young, skilled, small, and fast forwards. Regardless of anyone’s opinion of him, since his arrival in Edmonton the team had year-on-year improvements in performance until last season. Even last year’s miserable performance was better than that of the team he took over in the spring of 2015.

Season GP W L T Pts
2014/15* 82 24 44 14 62
2015/16 82 31 43 8 70
2016/17 82 47 26 9 103
2017/18 82 36 40 6 78
(* indicates season before Chiarelli’s arrival in Edmonton)

Another measure of the management team is its ability to draft future players and build a strong prospect pool. I don’t think there is a rationale person out there who would argue that Chiarelli hasn’t brought vast improvements in both measures. Of course, comparing Chiarelli to the Lowe/Tambellini/McTavish trifecta does not represent a benchmark from which great GMs should be measured. Nobody is being fair though if they don't acknowledge that Chiarelli has been handicapped by the need to start with an organization created by those three great minds.
CD282 a aimé ceci.
10 sept. 2018 à 16 h 57
Banni
I’m not letting Chiarelli off the hook, I’m just trying to offer what I think is a fair analysis of his work in Edmonton. I don’t like some of Chiarelli’s moves but I try to look at them cumulatively, and evaluate them in the context of building an organization. In 2015, he inherited a perennial loser with an unbalanced roster built around a core of young, skilled, small, and fast forwards. Regardless of anyone’s opinion of him, since his arrival in Edmonton the team had year-on-year improvements in performance until last season. Even last year’s miserable performance was better than that of the team he took over in the spring of 2015.

Season GP W L T Pts
2014/15* 82 24 44 14 62
2015/16 82 31 43 8 70
2016/17 82 47 26 9 103
2017/18 82 36 40 6 78
(* indicates season before Chiarelli’s arrival in Edmonton)

Another measure of the management team is its ability to draft future players and build a strong prospect pool. I don’t think there is a rationale person out there who would argue that Chiarelli hasn’t brought vast improvements in both measures. Of course, comparing Chiarelli to the Lowe/Tambellini/McTavish trifecta does not represent a benchmark from which great GMs should be measured. Nobody is being fair though if they don't acknowledge that Chiarelli has been handicapped by the need to start with an organization created by those three great minds.

What prospects? Edmonton has a handful of B level prospects and Bouchard (Who is a blue chipper). Chairelli is the worst GM in the entirety of hockey. He makes Bergevin look not the worst, (just 2nd worst). I say this because he hasn't made any moves that I would call good. The Oilers the best line in hockey, (McDavid and anyone is the best in hockey), a decent 2nd line (Draisaitl is great but he still needs to take another step to become elite, skilled wingers would help) and then a bottom 6 filled with players that wouldn't make the 4th line on deep teams. Their defence is questionable at best, Klefbom is very good and Nurse looks like he'll be a decent player as well but the rest are average or old. Finally who is Talbot? Is he the goalie that was the best in the game 2 seasons ago or is he somewhere in between that and last year? I think he's very good but I don't think he's as good as he was in the one year the Oilers haven't been terrible.

With all that in mind, this is my assessment of the oilers franchise. They have leadership that really doesn't have any idea what era of hockey they are in. (Anyone that trades a guy like Hall for Larson is out of touch) They have one of the weakest prospect pools in the league considering they have been a top 10 pick (Or 1st overall) for the past decade basically. If you look at their drafting record over the past 5 seasons, they have had basically no luck outside of picking in the 1st round, and they've been questionable with the 1st round as well.

In my opinion, the Oilers need to be honest with themselves and realize that the only way to really maximize the McDavid years, they should move out anyone who is over 27 and slow and get anything for them. Then draft skill, not positions, not size, only skill and speed and then in 3 years, they should have enough roll players to have a full forward compliment and then they'll be contenders. Until they can ice a bottom 6 that isn't a joke, they are going nowhere.
11 sept. 2018 à 1 h 55
Simpleton
Modifié 11 sept. 2018 à 2 h 14
What prospects? Edmonton has a handful of B level prospects and Bouchard (Who is a blue chipper). Chairelli is the worst GM in the entirety of hockey. He makes Bergevin look not the worst, (just 2nd worst). I say this because he hasn't made any moves that I would call good. The Oilers the best line in hockey, (McDavid and anyone is the best in hockey), a decent 2nd line (Draisaitl is great but he still needs to take another step to become elite, skilled wingers would help) and then a bottom 6 filled with players that wouldn't make the 4th line on deep teams. Their defence is questionable at best, Klefbom is very good and Nurse looks like he'll be a decent player as well but the rest are average or old. Finally who is Talbot? Is he the goalie that was the best in the game 2 seasons ago or is he somewhere in between that and last year? I think he's very good but I don't think he's as good as he was in the one year the Oilers haven't been terrible.

With all that in mind, this is my assessment of the oilers franchise. They have leadership that really doesn't have any idea what era of hockey they are in. (Anyone that trades a guy like Hall for Larson is out of touch) They have one of the weakest prospect pools in the league considering they have been a top 10 pick (Or 1st overall) for the past decade basically. If you look at their drafting record over the past 5 seasons, they have had basically no luck outside of picking in the 1st round, and they've been questionable with the 1st round as well.

In my opinion, the Oilers need to be honest with themselves and realize that the only way to really maximize the McDavid years, they should move out anyone who is over 27 and slow and get anything for them. Then draft skill, not positions, not size, only skill and speed and then in 3 years, they should have enough roll players to have a full forward compliment and then they'll be contenders. Until they can ice a bottom 6 that isn't a joke, they are going nowhere.

I agree that the team still needs to improve the balance of its roster. The bottom six don’t instill much confidence at the moment, and I think your comments regarding Draisaitl are reasonable. Klefbom is not a true number one d-man, but he’s a very good top-4 guy when healthy. Nurse looks like he will be a very good top-4 guy too. Larsson can play top pair minutes in a complimentary role, paired with a true #1. He does pretty good with Klefbom, and sometimes Nurse. Benning looks like he’ll be a bottom pair guy, and the remaining two spots leave big question marks. So the defense has 3 guys who can play in the top 4, and a depth guy. Russell? Well, IDK what to say that hasn’t been said elsewhere. None of these guys are particularly good at supporting a quick transition game, but maybe coach Yawney can fix that.

I don’t agree with you regarding the draft strategy, and suggest you have not been paying much attention during the past four entry drafts. The Oilers got themselves into this mess by ignoring organizational needs for years. In the past few years they’ve corrected that trend by picking the best available player with their first pick and then targeting organizational needs in subsequent rounds (even in 2015, after making that miserable trade for Griffin Reinhart).

Funny thing is, by most definitions, B-level prospects may be just what the Oilers need. You make a strong case for just this, with your observations regarding the bottom six. B-level guys project to be middle and bottom-six NHLers . I’d also also like to add that by most definitions both Bouchard and Yamamoto are blue chip prospects, who may eventually play top pair and top six roles. We may also be seriously underestimating the potential of at least a couple of the European prospects.

Talbot is an improvement over past starters in Edmonton. I don’t know if he’ll be as good as he once was, but there are a number of teams that have won cups with adequate goaltending that simply got hot at the right time. He just needs to do the same.

With respect to clearing out the older players, it appears to me as though the groundwork is already in place to move at least some in the next 1-3 years, which seems to align well with the projected developmental cycles for some of the more highly touted prospects. That’s probably not fast enough to satisfy you though. Just bear in mind that Edmonton rushed too many young players in the past, and maybe a more patient hand is a good thing. I think the plan is similar to what you propose, just over a longer timeframe.
CD282 a aimé ceci.
11 sept. 2018 à 10 h 2
Banni
I agree that the team still needs to improve the balance of its roster. The bottom six don’t instill much confidence at the moment, and I think your comments regarding Draisaitl are reasonable. Klefbom is not a true number one d-man, but he’s a very good top-4 guy when healthy. Nurse looks like he will be a very good top-4 guy too. Larsson can play top pair minutes in a complimentary role, paired with a true #1. He does pretty good with Klefbom, and sometimes Nurse. Benning looks like he’ll be a bottom pair guy, and the remaining two spots leave big question marks. So the defense has 3 guys who can play in the top 4, and a depth guy. Russell? Well, IDK what to say that hasn’t been said elsewhere. None of these guys are particularly good at supporting a quick transition game, but maybe coach Yawney can fix that.

I don’t agree with you regarding the draft strategy, and suggest you have not been paying much attention during the past four entry drafts. The Oilers got themselves into this mess by ignoring organizational needs for years. In the past few years they’ve corrected that trend by picking the best available player with their first pick and then targeting organizational needs in subsequent rounds (even in 2015, after making that miserable trade for Griffin Reinhart).

Funny thing is, by most definitions, B-level prospects may be just what the Oilers need. You make a strong case for just this, with your observations regarding the bottom six. B-level guys project to be middle and bottom-six NHLers . I’d also also like to add that by most definitions both Bouchard and Yamamoto are blue chip prospects, who may eventually play top pair and top six roles. We may also be seriously underestimating the potential of at least a couple of the European prospects.

Talbot is an improvement over past starters in Edmonton. I don’t know if he’ll be as good as he once was, but there are a number of teams that have won cups with adequate goaltending that simply got hot at the right time. He just needs to do the same.

With respect to clearing out the older players, it appears to me as though the groundwork is already in place to move at least some in the next 1-3 years, which seems to align well with the projected developmental cycles for some of the more highly touted prospects. That’s probably not fast enough to satisfy you though. Just bear in mind that Edmonton rushed too many young players in the past, and maybe a more patient hand is a good thing. I think the plan is similar to what you propose, just over a longer timeframe.

I wasn't clear enough on some of my comments. I completely see 2-3 years as the timeline before the oilers will be a strong playoff team again. I admit that I don't know too much about the oilers prospects but TSN and other organizations aren't at all bullish over the prospects currently in the Oilers system. They are ranked lower than all the other Canadian teams as far as top end talent is concerned. Drafting need over best player is a recipe for disaster, ask Benning in Vancouver! He is on the record saying that was a mistake he made many times and about 3 years ago they changed strategy to drafting the most talented player available. Now they have one of the best prospect pools in hockey.

Edmonton isn't in the worst position, they have McDavid and Draisaitl and the are locked up for the next 7 seasons. They just need more talent to surround these players for them to really succeed. Talent, not size and muscle. Chairelli doesn't seem to understand that anymore. He got lucky with the team he built in Boston but if you look at how that team played in the subsequent years and the moves Chairelli made after winning the cup, he doesn't understand that that cup win was more to do with circumstances at that time than it did about the team being good. The game is evolving into speed and skill and size and muscle don't matter unless you can keep up with the play. Edmonton outside of McDavid, isn't really a fast team. And that's why they are utterly terrible unless Draisaitl or McDavid were on the ice.
11 sept. 2018 à 13 h 42
Simpleton
I wasn't clear enough on some of my comments. I admit that I don't know too much about the oilers prospects but TSN and other organizations aren't at all bullish over the prospects currently in the Oilers system. They are ranked lower than all the other Canadian teams as far as top end talent is concerned.

Well that explains a lot. Edmonton has been the target of a lot of BS out of TSN and similar. They’ve sold this crazy idea that the Oilers are failing because they aren’t a serious cup contender as McDavid enters what will probably be his third full season. A lot of people have bought into the nonsense arguement that somehow McDavid’s prime years are being wasted in Edmonton... based on the trend among NHL forwards, he’s at least two to three years away from hitting his prime.

In two to three years the strongest of the Oiler prospects should be in the NHL, as their development lines up with the expiring contracts held be players like Kassian, Caggiula, and Russell (a serious buy-out candidate by that time).

I don’t know that Chiarelli planned things this way. Perhaps he’ll have some more good luck and today’s B-level prospects will blossom into the player they project to be. Maybe he won’t have that kind of luck, and the team will continue to flounder. Regardless of how things turn out, it’s entirely ill-informed to suggest the organization is worse than it was prior to the last change in management. That makes it a bit disingenuous to suggest that the current GM is the worst in the league.
CD282 a aimé ceci.
12 sept. 2018 à 10 h 0
Banni
Well that explains a lot. Edmonton has been the target of a lot of BS out of TSN and similar. They’ve sold this crazy idea that the Oilers are failing because they aren’t a serious cup contender as McDavid enters what will probably be his third full season. A lot of people have bought into the nonsense arguement that somehow McDavid’s prime years are being wasted in Edmonton... based on the trend among NHL forwards, he’s at least two to three years away from hitting his prime.

In two to three years the strongest of the Oiler prospects should be in the NHL, as their development lines up with the expiring contracts held be players like Kassian, Caggiula, and Russell (a serious buy-out candidate by that time).

I don’t know that Chiarelli planned things this way. Perhaps he’ll have some more good luck and today’s B-level prospects will blossom into the player they project to be. Maybe he won’t have that kind of luck, and the team will continue to flounder. Regardless of how things turn out, it’s entirely ill-informed to suggest the organization is worse than it was prior to the last change in management. That makes it a bit disingenuous to suggest that the current GM is the worst in the league.

Chiarelli hasn't made any good moves since he's become an oiler, he has made several terrible trades and signings and is now standing pat because he really has no other choice. He's going to get fired in the very near future. I'm also not at all giving a pass to the guys prior too Chiarelli, Edmonton has been mismanaged for years, he's no better than what they've done. The one successful year was a fluke, like Ottawa's run to the conference final 2 seasons ago.

The reality is this, McDavid is so good that he takes over the game when he's on the ice. There are very few players who've managed to get the best of him. But he's one guy and most of the rest of the lineup is made up with bubble players who wouldn't make any of the deep teams in the league. It is entirely fair to say that McDavid is being squandered, especially since they didn't trade out players who won't be there in 3-5 years, or even the next couple of seasons. If Chiarelli had any idea how the league is moving, he'd make any move available to get rid of older, and slower guys and replace them with speed and skill. If they just got faster they'd have a chance to be more competitive but Chiarelli is so far hanging his hat on his plan.

Edmonton will miss the playoffs again this year. McDavid will score 100+ points and Chiarelli should be fired.
12 sept. 2018 à 21 h 1
Simpleton
Chiarelli hasn't made any good moves since he's become an oiler, he has made several terrible trades and signings and is now standing pat because he really has no other choice. He's going to get fired in the very near future. I'm also not at all giving a pass to the guys prior too Chiarelli, Edmonton has been mismanaged for years, he's no better than what they've done. The one successful year was a fluke, like Ottawa's run to the conference final 2 seasons ago.

The reality is this, McDavid is so good that he takes over the game when he's on the ice. There are very few players who've managed to get the best of him. But he's one guy and most of the rest of the lineup is made up with bubble players who wouldn't make any of the deep teams in the league. It is entirely fair to say that McDavid is being squandered, especially since they didn't trade out players who won't be there in 3-5 years, or even the next couple of seasons. If Chiarelli had any idea how the league is moving, he'd make any move available to get rid of older, and slower guys and replace them with speed and skill. If they just got faster they'd have a chance to be more competitive but Chiarelli is so far hanging his hat on his plan.

Edmonton will miss the playoffs again this year. McDavid will score 100+ points and Chiarelli should be fired.

I think you’re either misinformed, ill-informed, or forgetting a few moves. In addition to the trades and signings that are popular subject for fans to rant about, Chiarelli has pulled of some good moves too.

He signed Klefbom long-term for less than $4.2M per; he picked up Maroon for a song and managed to convince the Ducks to retain salary; then he flipped him to New Jersey instead of watching him go home to St.Louis and receive nothing in return; he got Kassian in return for Scrivens (a minor win); and he swung a decent trade for Talbot. Those are all good moves.

It’s also worth remembering that most people thought signing Sekera was a great move back in the day. The only criticism I recall was that the salary was maybe $500k too rich. His first season wasn’t very good, but he was very good after that and until his injury in Anaheim.

Signing Lucic was also considered a good move at the time. Term and the NMC/NTC were concerns, and there was some worry about his age and potential to have a drop in performance after 3 season or so.

It’s easy to criticize after the fact, but that’s hardly fair. Most teams have bad contracts on their books.

Consider that Edmonton joined the NHL in 1979, with Wayne Gretzky on their roster. They drafted guys like Jarri Kurri, Mark Messier, Paul Coffee, Glen Anderson, and Grant Fuhr before they won their first Stanley Cup in 1984. They may have been a consistent play-off team before that cup win, but back then the league had only 21 teams and 16 of them made the play-offs. Fact is the Gretzky Oilers were mediocre, at best, during their first few years in the league.

Consider that team led by the greatest player ever, who was surrounded by future hall of famers, took 4 years to become a cup contender and 5 years to win a cup while playing in a 21-team league.

Today, you are of the opinion that the Oilers, two seasons removed from tying the league record for play-off futility, led by Connor McDavid, should be able to out-perform the last great NHL dynasty in a league with 31 teams and a far more challenging play-off format.

That sounds reasonable to me.....

Regardless, this team is in trouble. Their early season schedule is brutally tough, Sekera is out again, and most of the guys on the roster are returning after disappointing seasons. There is slim hope, and if it doesn’t work out then for sure Chiarelli will be brushing up his resume. We can agree on that.
13 sept. 2018 à 9 h 48
Banni
I think you’re either misinformed, ill-informed, or forgetting a few moves. In addition to the trades and signings that are popular subject for fans to rant about, Chiarelli has pulled of some good moves too.

He signed Klefbom long-term for less than $4.2M per; he picked up Maroon for a song and managed to convince the Ducks to retain salary; then he flipped him to New Jersey instead of watching him go home to St.Louis and receive nothing in return; he got Kassian in return for Scrivens (a minor win); and he swung a decent trade for Talbot. Those are all good moves.

It’s also worth remembering that most people thought signing Sekera was a great move back in the day. The only criticism I recall was that the salary was maybe $500k too rich. His first season wasn’t very good, but he was very good after that and until his injury in Anaheim.

Signing Lucic was also considered a good move at the time. Term and the NMC/NTC were concerns, and there was some worry about his age and potential to have a drop in performance after 3 season or so.

It’s easy to criticize after the fact, but that’s hardly fair. Most teams have bad contracts on their books.

Consider that Edmonton joined the NHL in 1979, with Wayne Gretzky on their roster. They drafted guys like Jarri Kurri, Mark Messier, Paul Coffee, Glen Anderson, and Grant Fuhr before they won their first Stanley Cup in 1984. They may have been a consistent play-off team before that cup win, but back then the league had only 21 teams and 16 of them made the play-offs. Fact is the Gretzky Oilers were mediocre, at best, during their first few years in the league.

Consider that team led by the greatest player ever, who was surrounded by future hall of famers, took 4 years to become a cup contender and 5 years to win a cup while playing in a 21-team league.

Today, you are of the opinion that the Oilers, two seasons removed from tying the league record for play-off futility, led by Connor McDavid, should be able to out-perform the last great NHL dynasty in a league with 31 teams and a far more challenging play-off format.

That sounds reasonable to me.....

Regardless, this team is in trouble. Their early season schedule is brutally tough, Sekera is out again, and most of the guys on the roster are returning after disappointing seasons. There is slim hope, and if it doesn’t work out then for sure Chiarelli will be brushing up his resume. We can agree on that.

You are kind of jumping around all over the place here but I'll retort only on Chiarelli.

The moves you mentioned are mostly irrelevant. Maroon is a bottom 6 forward that had success playing with the best player in the world. He was nothing in New Jersey and will be nothing special in St Louis. That isn't a win, its just not a loss. Klefbom I think is a good defenceman and his contract is decent, however, I think he's misused in Edmonton. He's expected to be a stud #1 guy and he just isn't good enough. He's a step or two below Morgan Rielly who many believe is misused as a #1 as well.

Chiarelli inherited a disaster and the only real thing that has gone well has been drafting McDavid. The body of work by the GM since he's arrived is almost completely bad. The 1 year of success was a complete aberration and is unlikely to be repeated. You mention the Lucic signing and said it was well received at the time. I didn't like the move and said to many that Edmonton was going to struggle last season. I said they were slow outside of McDavid and their bottom 6 wouldn't make many decent teams in the league. I anticipated that McDavid would have a big year but the team would be hard pressed to make the playoffs due to a lack of overall talent and speed. I was correct and this year the squad isn't much faster, younger or more skilled. Its essentially older and still lacks skill and speed outside the top 3 offensive players. Yamamoto gets a pass, I think he'll be a decent NHLer soon enough.

But all in all Chiarelli has proven that he doesn't know what he's doing.
13 sept. 2018 à 13 h 9
Simpleton
You are kind of jumping around all over the place here but I'll retort only on Chiarelli.

The moves you mentioned are mostly irrelevant. Maroon is a bottom 6 forward that had success playing with the best player in the world. He was nothing in New Jersey and will be nothing special in St Louis. That isn't a win, its just not a loss. Klefbom I think is a good defenceman and his contract is decent, however, I think he's misused in Edmonton. He's expected to be a stud #1 guy and he just isn't good enough. He's a step or two below Morgan Rielly who many believe is misused as a #1 as well.

Chiarelli inherited a disaster and the only real thing that has gone well has been drafting McDavid. The body of work by the GM since he's arrived is almost completely bad. The 1 year of success was a complete aberration and is unlikely to be repeated. You mention the Lucic signing and said it was well received at the time. I didn't like the move and said to many that Edmonton was going to struggle last season. I said they were slow outside of McDavid and their bottom 6 wouldn't make many decent teams in the league. I anticipated that McDavid would have a big year but the team would be hard pressed to make the playoffs due to a lack of overall talent and speed. I was correct and this year the squad isn't much faster, younger or more skilled. Its essentially older and still lacks skill and speed outside the top 3 offensive players. Yamamoto gets a pass, I think he'll be a decent NHLer soon enough.

But all in all Chiarelli has proven that he doesn't know what he's doing.

I'm afraid we can't reconcile our positions. I'm putting forward facts, your putting forward opinions. I won't respond from this point forward.
13 sept. 2018 à 13 h 27
Banni
I'm afraid we can't reconcile our positions. I'm putting forward facts, your putting forward opinions. I won't respond from this point forward.

Saying "the Lucic signing was at the time well received at the time" I guess could be considered a fact but its also a fact that he's slow and is declining as he enters his 30's. Its a fact. Chiarelli has made some minor moves that could be considered wins, but he has a pile of other trades that were terrible. Those are facts. The Oilers since the 2012 entry draft have so far not drafted a single player outside of the 1st round that has played meaningful mintues for the team. That is a fact.

I am not giving opinions, I'm giving cold hard truth. Has he made some okay moves since joining the oilers, yes. Is his body of work been good or bad? Its not even remotely close to being even. His bad moves are many and huge and his good ones are few and very small. Chiarelli has done a very bad job drafting, trading and managing his cap. Those are all facts. Don't give him a buy. He's not a good GM.

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Ajouter une option
Soumettre le sondage