How I'd Organize the Lines

Créé par: Hawkisles
Équipe: 2018-19 Islanders de New York
Date de création initiale: 22 août 2018
Publié: 22 août 2018
Mode - plafond salarial: Basique
Description
Forward Line 1- Beauvillier, Barzal, Eberle

Barzal is almost guaranteed to take the number 1 spot at Center this year after a truly impressive 85 point rookie campaign. However, with his sophomore year looming and having no 1st line to absorb the opposing defense's attention for him, he may be in for a rough season. Don't get me wrong, I think Barzal really is the real deal and I see him becoming the franchise career center we thought we'd have in Tavares. But I can almost guarantee that he WILL regress this season. To lighten the blow, I think it'd be best to give him the linemates he has the best chemistry with. I think Lee is our best LW and Bailey is our best RW, but Barzal has already shown that he can put up franchise numbers next to Eberle and Beauvillier. Barzal will need as much continuity from last season as we can give him. To speak specifically of Beauvillier and Eberle, they've both earned 1st line roles. Beauvillier has shown he can play great defensive hockey while still scoring 20 goals (in around 71 games no less) and Eberle put all questions about the 2016-2017 season to rest after putting up 25 goals and 34 assists.

Forward Line 2- Lee, Kovar, Bailey

The main knock against this line will be "why isn't Lee on the 1st line?". While Lee is absolutely the best LW on the Isles, I would prefer to keep Lee and Barzal on separate lines. As I said above, Barzal had a great season in large part because there was another great forward line to draw the opponents' attention away from Barzal. Lee and Bailey combined for 133 points last season. Say what you will about Tavares leaving, no coach in their right mind will ignore that kind of combined production from last year. They would HAVE to devote some attention towards the 2nd line and away from Barzal. I'm confident that if Bailey and Lee stay on the same line, they'll produce. The only wild card here is Kovar. He's shown in the KHL that he can produce, even if he had a down year last year. But he still fast, he can still pass and he's still relatively young. That's athleticism and talent Lee and Bailey can work off of, so I'm tempted to believe that if Kovar is put on this line, he'd at least get around 45 point riding this duo's coat tails, maybe even do better.

Forward Line 3- Ladd, Filpulla, Komarov

Our offense last year was amazing. While I don't think it'll be as good as last year, I think we'll still have an above average offense this season. However, the Isles had an absolutely laughable defense last year. And while it's easy to see that in our unimpressive defensive corps, a lackluster bottom 6 had a lot to do with our defensive woes. It's been a while since Ladd had a successful offensive season, but his +/- was one of the best on the team. I've been critical of him for awhile, but I admit that's colored by his bad contract, which isn't something anyone can control at this point. If his contract was half the size as it is, there'd be no complaints about him. When he's healthy, he puts up respectable stats offensively and impressive stats defensively (one of our better Corsi players last year). As for Filpulla and Komarov, neither can score, but both can hit, both can skate, and both can kill a penalty. Last year, the Isles had a league worst PK of 73.3%. There are better offensive forwards to put on the ice, but for the sake of fixing our PK, I would not dare keep any of these players off the ice for an extended period of time.

Forward Line 4- Martin, Cizikas, Clutterbuck

I couldn't resist. I just can't resist. I will never be able to resist. This terrifying trio's reputation, chemistry and stats just speak for themselves. They are the BEST 4th line in hockey. Back when this line was together, the Isles had consecutive 100 point seasons, and when that line broke up, that success evaporated. We haven't been to the playoffs since. It'd be foolish to not reunite this line, and it will stay together unless it shows several games in a row that the magic is gone.

Extras: Nelson, Johnston

Why isn't Nelson, 3 time 20 goal scorer, not on the roster? He had a bad year last year born of what many say was a poor work ethic and a fear of gritty play. Still, he's undeniably talented and his wicked wrist shot is still there in the moments he chooses to use it. Make him out play one of the 3rd liners in practice for a week or two solid, then give him a spot. Or we could always flip him for a late 1st rounder. Personally, I'd prefer to trade him for futures, but that's a subject for different post. Johnston would be on this roster if it weren't for Komarov, but fret not, he's first guy I'd plug in if anyone in the bottom 6 gets injured. Unless, of course, Nelson gets his **** together.

Defensive Pairing 1- Leddy, Pulock

Leddy had an awful season last year. There's no disputing that. However, he was the only consistently healthy defensemen on a roster with perpetually injured defensemen. His partner in crime, Boychuk, was injured for what seemed like the entirety of last season and even when he was healthy he was showing his age. Speaking of which, Boychuk's health and age will both be gigantic question marks this coming year, so the Isles would be wise to put Pulock on the first pairing. While I don't think Pulock is 100% ready for this many minutes, I think giving him the opportunity will at least give him a chance to prove that he can handle a lot of minutes. As time goes on, Dobson will look more and more like a challenger for Pulock's minutes, and I think Pulock knows this. He'll want to establish himself before Dobson cracks the roster, and this is the time for him to do it.

Defensive Pairing 2- Hickey, Boychuk

Hickey boasted a team best +/- of 20 last year, but did not take on high volume minutes. Still, I think a combination of his play and his loyalty to the Islanders has earned him a 2nd pairing spot. Joining him will by Johnny Boychuk. This may be a career defining year for Boychuk, as his health and age were both issues last year. Putting him on a line with a younger, sprier and consistent defensemen in Hickey would be a good way to make sure Boychuk gets the fair shot he'll need to prove himself.

Defensive Pairing 3- Toews, Mayfield

That's it. No more waiting time. Toews is getting too old and too good of a prospect to not see NHL minutes. While Pelech is arguably the better choice for the 3rd pairing left shooter, it's clear that Pelech will not be a Top 4 defenseman. Toews is still growing and has the speed and passing skills to potentially become a mid pairing defenseman. It's time to give him his shot. Sorry, Pelech. Mayfield, on the other hand, has no such challenger to his spot on the 3rd pairing. It's also worth noting that he was arguably our only physical skater aside from Johnston last year, so he's clearly shown the work ethic to keep his spot. While I'm tempted to put Dobson on the 3rd pairing, or even give Wilde the briefest of looks, they're both young and have plenty left to learn from the CHL. I think if we plugged in Dobson on the 3rd pairing, he'd do fine, but altogether it's better for his development if he takes his time. Toews has nothing left to learn from any league but the NHL. It's his time.

Extra: Pelech

Unlike Nelson, Pelech didn't have an awful year last year. But like Nelson, Pelech is in a position where he'll have to prove his ceiling is higher than the bottom pairing, because while his play wasn't bad at all, there was not a single moment of "spectacular" last season that makes me think he can crack the Top 4. If he can consistently beat out Toews in practice, he gets his spot back. If not, I'm sure we could get a 3rd and/or a 4th rounder for him.
Rachats de contrats
Repêchage1e ronde2e ronde3e ronde4e ronde5e ronde6e ronde7e ronde
Logo de NYI
Logo de CGY
Logo de NYI
Logo de NYI
Logo de NYI
Logo de NYI
Logo de NYI
Logo de NYI
Logo de NYI
Logo de NYI
Logo de NYI
Logo de NYI
Logo de NYI
Logo de NYI
Logo de NYI
Logo de NYI
Logo de NYI
Logo de NYI
Logo de NYI
TAILLE DE LA FORMATIONPLAFOND SALARIALCAP HITEXCÉDENTS Info-bulleBONISESPACE SOUS LE PLAFOND SALARIAL
2279 500 000 $65 190 833 $0 $612 500 $14 309 167 $
Ailier gaucheCentreAilier droit
894 167 $894 167 $ (Bonis de performance212 500 $$212K)
AD, AG
UFA - 1
863 333 $863 333 $ (Bonis de performance400 000 $$400K)
C, AD
UFA - 2
6 000 000 $6 000 000 $
AD
UFA - 1
3 750 000 $3 750 000 $
AG
UFA - 1
2 000 000 $2 000 000 $
C
UFA - 1
5 000 000 $5 000 000 $
AD, AG, C
UFA - 6
5 500 000 $5 500 000 $
AG
NTC
UFA - 5
2 750 000 $2 750 000 $
C, AG
NMC
UFA - 1
3 000 000 $3 000 000 $
AD, AG, C
M-NTC
UFA - 4
2 500 000 $2 500 000 $
AG, AD
UFA - 2
3 500 000 $3 500 000 $
AD
UFA - 4
4 250 000 $4 250 000 $
C, AG
UFA - 1
3 350 000 $3 350 000 $
C
UFA - 3
Défenseur gaucherDéfenseur droitierGardien de but
2 750 000 $2 750 000 $
DG
UFA - 4
2 000 000 $2 000 000 $
DD
UFA - 2
1 500 000 $1 500 000 $
G
UFA - 1
2 500 000 $2 500 000 $
DG
UFA - 4
6 000 000 $6 000 000 $
DD
NMC
UFA - 4
3 333 333 $3 333 333 $
G
UFA - 2
700 000 $700 000 $
DG
UFA - 2
1 450 000 $1 450 000 $
DD
UFA - 5
1 600 000 $1 600 000 $
DG
UFA - 3

Code d'intégration

• Pour afficher cette équipe sur un autre site Web ou blog, ajoutez ce iFrame à la page appropriée
  • Personnalisez les dimensions dans le code IFrame ci-dessous pour adapter votre site de manière appropriée. Minimum recommandé: 400px.

Texte intégré

Cliquer pour surligner
22 août 2018 à 21 h 48
Max
Rejoint: mai 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 40
I Like it. But why Clutterbuck over Nelson?
22 août 2018 à 22 h 21
Black Lives Matter
Rejoint: mars 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 4,649
Nelson will play
22 août 2018 à 22 h 28
Démarrer sujet
Rejoint: janv. 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 521
Quoting: Molson22
I Like it. But why Clutterbuck over Nelson?

He looked afraid of any kind of physicality last year, so I'd never put him on the 4th line. So it's either he plays on the 3rd line or he's on the bench. I think we need PK and grit more than we need a guy who scored 15 goals last year. I want him to prove me he's returned to 20 goal form before I bench a player that's either new to the roster or played a good defensive game last year.
22 août 2018 à 23 h 6
Chicago
Rejoint: juin 2015
Mentions "j'aime": 2,842
Trade Nelson, lots of teams can use a cheap 20 goal scorer if you're willing to retain a bit.
Hawkisles a aimé ceci.
22 août 2018 à 23 h 33
Démarrer sujet
Quoting: NickC1988
Trade Nelson, lots of teams can use a cheap 20 goal scorer if you're willing to retain a bit.

On his contract I doubt retaining would be necessary. But if it got the deal done, sure, I'd retain 2.125m of his 4.25m contract.

I'm not really a hater of Nelson. He's got talent, he's just been poorly coached so far. Still, we've got Beauvillier and Lee already on the roster and Bellows will likely establish himself either this year or the next. Wahlstrom can play either wing too. You'd think with the Isles this crowded at LW Nelson would be on the block.
22 août 2018 à 23 h 58
Rejoint: juill. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 49
Excellent analysis on the situation in NY. You combined facts with educated opinion and probable estimations. One of the best AGMs I've seen on here, good job.
23 août 2018 à 20 h 27
Chicago
Rejoint: juin 2015
Mentions "j'aime": 2,842
Quoting: Hawkisles
On his contract I doubt retaining would be necessary. But if it got the deal done, sure, I'd retain 2.125m of his 4.25m contract.

I'm not really a hater of Nelson. He's got talent, he's just been poorly coached so far. Still, we've got Beauvillier and Lee already on the roster and Bellows will likely establish himself either this year or the next. Wahlstrom can play either wing too. You'd think with the Isles this crowded at LW Nelson would be on the block.

Retaining on him will only increase your return. I agree there's a lot of guys that will push him out of the line up.
Hawkisles a aimé ceci.
24 août 2018 à 2 h 0
Démarrer sujet
Quoting: NickC1988
Retaining on him will only increase your return. I agree there's a lot of guys that will push him out of the line up.

I think the main point of retaining on Nelson would be to make him marketable to cap crunched teams on the bubble. But I definitely agree with you. Other teams want Nelson more than the Isles currently do, and waaay more than the Isles will want him next year.
24 août 2018 à 10 h 56
Rejoint: juin 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 15
The 2C center spot will come down between Nelson and Kovar. If Kovar wins it, Nelson should be traded. Also zero chance Leddy and Pulock Play together. They have too similar of a game and would just hold each other back
27 août 2018 à 2 h 11
Rejoint: avr. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 118
there is no way in any scenario, that Lameriello just invested 4.25 million dollars in a valuable trade asset, to ride pine. if hes to be traded, he needs to be show cased, if hes not to be traded, hes going to play or there was no point in signing him in the first place.

Ryan Pulock and leddy on the same pairing is not a good move. yes Pulock has made leaps in his defensive decision making, but he not ready to assume a role covering for leddy's boneheaded idiotic defensive plays. also, with both of them being good puck movers and there being none (that we know of yet) on the rest of the defensive roster it really makes very little sense to to put the two you have on the same pairing.

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Ajouter une option
Soumettre le sondage