SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Armchair-GM

Eric Staal to the Leafs, plus other genius moves.

Créé par: MNBassman
Équipe: 2018-19 Wild du Minnesota
Date de création initiale: 8 mai 2018
Publié: 8 mai 2018
Mode - plafond salarial: Basique
Description
Wild Owner Craig Leipold is an idiot! Proof of this is watching the playoffs and how easy it is to realize the Wild are no where near the caliber of team it takes to contend for the Cup. In fact, every team that made the final 8 has at least 4 players better than the Wild's best player...yet Leipold still thinks this team is a "tweak" or two away... The fact is, this team needs an overhaul. Here are some of my ideas. I know this team will struggle next season, but things should brighten quickly with the youth and talent amassed here. Dumba is signed to a bridge deal because Liljegren might make him expendable in a couple years. Critique away.
Signatures de joueurs autonomes
RFAANSCAP HIT
31 000 000 $
45 000 000 $
34 500 000 $
Transactions
MIN
  1. Kapanen, Kasperi
  2. Liljegren, Timothy
  3. Choix de 1e ronde en 2019 (TOR)
Détails additionnels:
2018 1st round pick (TOR)
Leafs resign Staal to a 3 year/$15million deal.
Value opinions welcome.
TOR
  1. Spurgeon, Jared
  2. Staal, Eric
Détails additionnels:
Toronto is ready to contend for The Cup now. Adding Spurgeon and Staal make them incredibly deep and talented. Wild need to get younger and retool for a target of 2-4 years out.
MIN
  1. Ristolainen, Rasmus
  2. Choix de 2e ronde en 2019 (SJS)
Détails additionnels:
Ristolainen is exactly what the Wild need.
BUF
  1. Belpedio, Louis
  2. Coyle, Charlie
  3. Zucker, Jason
Détails additionnels:
Zucker and Coyle are best friends.
Repêchage1e ronde2e ronde3e ronde4e ronde5e ronde6e ronde7e ronde
Logo de MIN
Logo de TOR
Logo de MIN
Logo de SJS
Logo de MIN
Logo de MIN
Logo de WSH
Logo de MIN
Logo de MIN
Logo de MIN
Logo de MIN
Logo de MIN
Logo de MIN
Logo de MIN
Logo de MIN
Logo de MIN
Logo de MIN
Logo de MIN
Logo de MIN
Logo de MIN
Logo de MIN
Logo de MIN
Logo de MIN
TAILLE DE LA FORMATIONPLAFOND SALARIALCAP HITEXCÉDENTS Info-bulleBONISESPACE SOUS LE PLAFOND SALARIAL
2475 000 000 $61 971 091 $25 000 $1 457 500 $13 028 909 $
Ailier gaucheCentreAilier droit
7 538 462 $7 538 462 $
AG
NMC
UFA - 7
5 500 000 $5 500 000 $
C
NMC
UFA - 2
5 750 000 $5 750 000 $
C, AD
UFA - 2
2 875 000 $2 875 000 $
AD, AG
UFA - 3
894 167 $894 167 $ (Bonis de performance425 000 $$425K)
C
UFA - 1
5 250 000 $5 250 000 $
AG, AD
UFA - 4
916 666 $916 666 $ (Bonis de performance400 000 $$400K)
AG, AD
UFA - 2
925 000 $925 000 $ (Bonis de performance500 000 $$500K)
AD, C
RFA - 2
863 333 $863 333 $
AD
UFA - 1
650 000 $650 000 $
AG, AD
UFA - 1
700 000 $700 000 $
C
UFA - 1
792 500 $792 500 $ (Bonis de performance132 500 $$132K)
C, AD
UFA - 1
675 000 $675 000 $
C
UFA - 2
Défenseur gaucherDéfenseur droitierGardien de but
7 538 462 $7 538 462 $
DG
NMC
UFA - 7
5 400 000 $5 400 000 $
DD
UFA - 4
2 166 667 $2 166 667 $
G
M-NTC
UFA - 3
4 166 667 $4 166 667 $
DG
UFA - 3
4 500 000 $4 500 000 $
DD
UFA - 5
650 000 $650 000 $
G
UFA - 1
1 000 000 $1 000 000 $
DG/DD
UFA - 3
894 167 $894 167 $
DD
RFA - 4
925 000 $925 000 $
DG/DD
UFA - 1
650 000 $650 000 $
DD
UFA - 1
725 000 $725 000 $
DG
UFA - 1

Code d'intégration

• Pour afficher cette équipe sur un autre site Web ou blog, ajoutez ce iFrame à la page appropriée
  • Personnalisez les dimensions dans le code IFrame ci-dessous pour adapter votre site de manière appropriée. Minimum recommandé: 400px.

Texte intégré

Cliquer pour surligner
8 mai 2018 à 18 h 0
What in tarnation
Rejoint: oct. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 31,449
These trades are pretty solid. Only thing I'm not sure about is can Toronto really afford to do that. Signing Matthews, Marner, Nylander + Staal and Spurgeon in a short spun of time. Sounds pretty hard.

I also don't believe they are willing to trade two first round picks (technically 3 if you count Liljegren as well, he was just drafted in the first round), and Kapanen as well... The idea is good, but it might need some work.
8 mai 2018 à 18 h 0
Rejoint: janv. 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 0
From a leafs fan, I say no way. Toronto has no need for Eric Staal. He’s old and slow and Toronto plays a young and fast game. Marleau works on the leafs because of his speed still. Spurgeon would be a nice pickup but not for our best prospect and an up and coming player AND a 1st round pick. Like the idea but as a Toronto fan, I say no way to Eric Staal and that trade.
8 mai 2018 à 18 h 2
I'm a Skatman
Rejoint: mai 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 295
Quoting: coreydox
From a leafs fan, I say no way. Toronto has no need for Eric Staal. He’s old and slow and Toronto plays a young and fast game. Marleau works on the leafs because of his speed still. Spurgeon would be a nice pickup but not for our best prospect and an up and coming player AND a 1st round pick. Like the idea but as a Toronto fan, I say no way to Eric Staal and that trade.

*2 first round picks, young player, top prospect. 5-7 years ago, this might have been a good trade.
8 mai 2018 à 18 h 4
Rejoint: nov. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 14,493
Quoting: Barathrum_Obama
*2 first round picks, young player, top prospect. 5-7 years ago, this might have been a good trade.

Staal just had a monster season. Spurgeon is a very good rhd and kapanen sucks.
8 mai 2018 à 18 h 8
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Rejoint: juill. 2015
Mentions "j'aime": 22,667
I would think the Leaf would want to see Staal play at least part of a year to before extending the 33 year old. Yep, the Leafs would be going for it, if they took the deal as they taking 3 years of players before free agency and giving up a lot of youth. Saw the Marlie playoff game last night, become more impressed with Liljegren . I don't think the Leafs are ready to be contenders to make the trade, but if Leaf management think they are, yep I could see the deal as you suggest being done.

MNBassman. On a more sombre note, I have sold my. cottage on my "bass fishing lake". Will be doing more fishing on a bigger lake the Georgian Bay part of Lake Huron.
MNBassman et DJSums17 a aimé ceci.
8 mai 2018 à 18 h 22
Subbanator
Rejoint: juill. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 3,342
The buffalo trade doesn’t make a lot of sense for Buffalo. Their trading away their best defence man (soon to be second best) for a pair of forwards and a prospect. Buffalo should be looking to add to their d core not weaken it and not weaken it so that more young guys can be pushed out of the line up on offence.
GMTD a aimé ceci.
8 mai 2018 à 18 h 23
Mentions "j'aime": 118
Quoting: littlejerryseinfeld
Staal just had a monster season. Spurgeon is a very good rhd and kapanen sucks.

i don't know how many leaf games you have watched but kapanen doesn't suck
8 mai 2018 à 18 h 33
Who adds what?
Rejoint: juill. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 2,703
I think Buffalo need more defensemen, rather than fewer. Ristolainen is what they need to. I don't see a promising pair of bottom six forwards really changing that. They want to push for the playoffs next year, too.

If you're not playing Dumba and Olofsson, that might be close to an offer for Ristolainen. But not really.
GMTD a aimé ceci.
8 mai 2018 à 20 h 4
Quoting: beanie2911
i don't know how many leaf games you have watched but kapanen doesn't suck

9 career goals in the 4 years since he was drafted.
8 mai 2018 à 22 h 23
Rejoint: déc. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 319

He has 10 points in 55 games averaging 4th line ice time mostly playing on the PK. So yeah that's impressive as a 20 year old.
8 mai 2018 à 22 h 27
Quoting: DJSums17
He has 10 points in 55 games averaging 4th line ice time mostly playing on the PK. So yeah that's impressive as a 20 year old.

hes not 20, hes 21.

He has about the worst stats of any player drafted in the 1st round in 2014. go look it up.

not every leafs player is a future hall of famer, only being held back by other hall of famers like connor brown, zach hyman and 3000000000 year old patrick marleau.
Eli a aimé ceci.
8 mai 2018 à 23 h 11
Mentions "j'aime": 3,641
Egad this team would really be hurting if Suter, Kunin, and Parise can't play. You might as well sell off Granny now too, his stats are going to tank with that FWD group. You got younger, but the Wild's farm system isn't near the quality Tor or the Jets had.

You've got a 2nd line, a 3rd line and 2 AHL lines.

I like Risto a lot, but his game is more flawed than Dumba's (end of this season version). Dumba needs a 2 year bridge, 3 years he'd be at the 7 year mark and can walk.

I don't like the Tor trade. I don't see anything coming back to MN being a special player.
-Tor's 1st this year is what 25oa? nothing near the Nylander/Marner/Matthews quality of player is likely to come of it.
-I like Liljegren but top pair probably isn't going to happen.
-Kapanen seems likely to end up in the middle-6.

This type of rebuild looks like something from the GMDR years. I don't want to re-live those dreadful teams, once on that ride was more than enough.
8 mai 2018 à 23 h 22
Rejoint: mai 2015
Mentions "j'aime": 6,716
hes not 20, hes 21.

He has about the worst stats of any player drafted in the 1st round in 2014. go look it up.

not every leafs player is a future hall of famer, only being held back by other hall of famers like connor brown, zach hyman and 3000000000 year old patrick marleau.

Dude I get, Leafs fans and many other fan bases overvalue their players but saying Kapanen sucks just means you don't watch him enough. The kid is good. Just hasn't been able to be given good minutes due to a strong depth chart.

Other guys drafted the same year he was are just starting to emerge are Vrana, Sanheim, Fleury, Tuch etc. They aren't busts are they? You know who is a bust? Conner Bleackley.
9 mai 2018 à 9 h 12
Démarrer sujet
MNBassman
Mentions "j'aime": 3,571
Quoting: wabit
Egad this team would really be hurting if Suter, Kunin, and Parise can't play. You might as well sell off Granny now too, his stats are going to tank with that FWD group. You got younger, but the Wild's farm system isn't near the quality Tor or the Jets had.

You've got a 2nd line, a 3rd line and 2 AHL lines.

I like Risto a lot, but his game is more flawed than Dumba's (end of this season version). Dumba needs a 2 year bridge, 3 years he'd be at the 7 year mark and can walk.

I don't like the Tor trade. I don't see anything coming back to MN being a special player.
-Tor's 1st this year is what 25oa? nothing near the Nylander/Marner/Matthews quality of player is likely to come of it.
-I like Liljegren but top pair probably isn't going to happen.
-Kapanen seems likely to end up in the middle-6.

This type of rebuild looks like something from the GMDR years. I don't want to re-live those dreadful teams, once on that ride was more than enough.

Rebuilding vs. retooling...or "tweaking" is where you and I often differ. Watching the playoffs this year it is obvious the Wild are no where near being a legit Cup contender. In fact, every team in the final 8 has/had 3-7 players better than the Wild's best player. I am more than willing to endure a couple years of bad hockey to build a bonafide Cup contending team. Otherwise, this team is going to do nothing more than spin its wheels in the mud.
Here's a different way to look at it... Let's say you break your leg. The doctor takes the cast off to bit too soon and the leg never quite heals properly. So now, you have to deal with a constant, nagging ache in your leg. Over time, the ache will become "normal" and you stop noticing it...but, the leg just doesn't work quite as it should. You have two choices: 1) deal with the ache and the fact the leg will never be quite as strong as it could be. Or, 2) have the leg re-broken, let it heal properly, and live out your days pain free with a strong leg. For the past 3-6 years (maybe even 20) the Wild have been playing on a leg that isn't quite working properly and is a constant source of pain. It's time to re-break the leg!!! It might take a couple years for it to heal properly, but once it does...everything is much, much better.

Other things...
I disagree with your Leafs trade assessment. I think Liljegren is going to be as stud and will probably allow the Wild to move Dumba for other needed parts in a year or two. As far as the 1st rounders, that's why I have 2 of them in this deal. The Wild should be able to acquire some young depth player with those picks. They need young, fast, cheap talent/role players and those types can be found at the end of most 1st rounds.
I did my math wrong on Dumba's bridge deal. You are correct - 2 year deal.
I'll take my chances with Risto. While I agree, he's not perfect...he's as close to anyone being able to replace what Fletcher gave away when he traded Burns. Right-shot, do-it-all defensive, who play with piss and vinegar don't grow on trees...and I want one on the Wild!
Part of the value of these trades is also having the Wild not make the playoffs for a year or two and collect valuable pieces in the draft. Fletcher trading away draft picks like they are nickels is a big part of the reason the Wild are in the spot they are currently in...
As always, even if I don't agree with everything you say, I always appreciate your perspective.
9 mai 2018 à 9 h 59
Quoting: MNBassman
Rebuilding vs. retooling...or "tweaking" is where you and I often differ. Watching the playoffs this year it is obvious the Wild are no where near being a legit Cup contender. In fact, every team in the final 8 has/had 3-7 players better than the Wild's best player. I am more than willing to endure a couple years of bad hockey to build a bonafide Cup contending team. Otherwise, this team is going to do nothing more than spin its wheels in the mud.
Here's a different way to look at it... Let's say you break your leg. The doctor takes the cast off to bit too soon and the leg never quite heals properly. So now, you have to deal with a constant, nagging ache in your leg. Over time, the ache will become "normal" and you stop noticing it...but, the leg just doesn't work quite as it should. You have two choices: 1) deal with the ache and the fact the leg will never be quite as strong as it could be. Or, 2) have the leg re-broken, let it heal properly, and live out your days pain free with a strong leg. For the past 3-6 years (maybe even 20) the Wild have been playing on a leg that isn't quite working properly and is a constant source of pain. It's time to re-break the leg!!! It might take a couple years for it to heal properly, but once it does...everything is much, much better.

Other things...
I disagree with your Leafs trade assessment. I think Liljegren is going to be as stud and will probably allow the Wild to move Dumba for other needed parts in a year or two. As far as the 1st rounders, that's why I have 2 of them in this deal. The Wild should be able to acquire some young depth player with those picks. They need young, fast, cheap talent/role players and those types can be found at the end of most 1st rounds.
I did my math wrong on Dumba's bridge deal. You are correct - 2 year deal.
I'll take my chances with Risto. While I agree, he's not perfect...he's as close to anyone being able to replace what Fletcher gave away when he traded Burns. Right-shot, do-it-all defensive, who play with piss and vinegar don't grow on trees...and I want one on the Wild!
Part of the value of these trades is also having the Wild not make the playoffs for a year or two and collect valuable pieces in the draft. Fletcher trading away draft picks like they are nickels is a big part of the reason the Wild are in the spot they are currently in...
As always, even if I don't agree with everything you say, I always appreciate your perspective.

If I'm going to start a rebuild I'd:
- Ship off Zucker this offseason, for picks/prospects
-Either get Dumba on a bridge deal, or ship him off too for picks/prospects.
-See where the team is at in the standings around the All Star game. If they are out sell off Staal; Granny, Coyle, Spurgeon, and Koivu (team goes into tank mode and he'll waive his NMC) would be rental+1 and have some excellent value. None of these players should be in the future team plans.
-Keep or sell Dub depending on the return (goalies have weird value).
-Keep Brodin and Suter, They are nice security blankets for young d-men
-Keep Nino and give him a letter on his sweater. See what happens if he has to be "the guy".
-Keep Foligno and tell him to hit everything that moves. Wild fans need some sort of entertainment after all.
-Get a new coach that can instill some heart and develop the youngsters that will be incoming. BB is too good of a coach to stick around for a rebuild.
9 mai 2018 à 10 h 12
Démarrer sujet
MNBassman
If I'm going to start a rebuild I'd:
- Ship off Zucker this offseason, for picks/prospects
-Either get Dumba on a bridge deal, or ship him off too for picks/prospects.
-See where the team is at in the standings around the All Star game. If they are out sell off Staal; Granny, Coyle, Spurgeon, and Koivu (team goes into tank mode and he'll waive his NMC) would be rental+1 and have some excellent value. None of these players should be in the future team plans.
-Keep or sell Dub depending on the return (goalies have weird value).
-Keep Brodin and Suter, They are nice security blankets for young d-men
-Keep Nino and give him a letter on his sweater. See what happens if he has to be "the guy".
-Keep Foligno and tell him to hit everything that moves. Wild fans need some sort of entertainment after all.
-Get a new coach that can instill some heart and develop the youngsters that will be incoming. BB is too good of a coach to stick around for a rebuild.

I'd sure enjoy a 3rd line of Foligno/Ek/Tom Wilson... I wonder if Coyle would be enough to acquire Wilson from the Caps???
I'm torn on whether or not Granlund should be a piece to build around. On the Wild.com message board, I have been stating for a long time that Granlund should have a Tom Wilson-type of a player on the opposite wing...someone who will make others think twice about taking runs at him...especially in the playoffs. As a matter of fact, when the Wild acquired Foligno, I assumed it was protect Granlund...

I agree about Boudreau - if the Wild do ever rebuild, he should probably go.
I agree about all your other moves too. Of Course, I would let it be known league-wide than everyone is available...
9 mai 2018 à 10 h 40
I'd sure enjoy a 3rd line of Foligno/Ek/Tom Wilson... I wonder if Coyle would be enough to acquire Wilson from the Caps???
I'm torn on whether or not Granlund should be a piece to build around. On the Wild.com message board, I have been stating for a long time that Granlund should have a Tom Wilson-type of a player on the opposite wing...someone who will make others think twice about taking runs at him...especially in the playoffs. As a matter of fact, when the Wild acquired Foligno, I assumed it was protect Granlund...

I agree about Boudreau - if the Wild do ever rebuild, he should probably go.
I agree about all your other moves too. Of Course, I would let it be known league-wide than everyone is available...

Really Granny needs to be on a line with Nino and Staal, not stuck to Koivu's hip. Foligno just doesn't have the hands to be useful with Granny.

Foligno was brought in to be a 3rd line grinder. It took half the season to wash the Buffalo funk off of him and get used to the Wild's system. The no line stability the Wild had going on didn't help matters either. I'm guessing he starts on JEE's wing again next season. Foligno/JEE/Coyle just seems to be a line BB wants to work as his 3rd line.
9 mai 2018 à 12 h 57
Mentions "j'aime": 118

he had 7 goals in 38 games this year, which over an 82 game full season is 15 goals. This is on the fourth line, in only 11 minutes a game and playing very well on the pk. He is also only 21 years old
9 mai 2018 à 13 h 31
Démarrer sujet
MNBassman
Really Granny needs to be on a line with Nino and Staal, not stuck to Koivu's hip. Foligno just doesn't have the hands to be useful with Granny.

Foligno was brought in to be a 3rd line grinder. It took half the season to wash the Buffalo funk off of him and get used to the Wild's system. The no line stability the Wild had going on didn't help matters either. I'm guessing he starts on JEE's wing again next season. Foligno/JEE/Coyle just seems to be a line BB wants to work as his 3rd line.

The way I would use Foligno with Granny (and probably Staal) he wouldn't need great hands...plus, I think he has better hands than you give him credit for. His main purpose would be to grind in the corners, plant his arse in front of the net, pound in rebounds, and...most importantly, protect Granlund. I think he's capable and I think it could work.
9 mai 2018 à 14 h 4
The way I would use Foligno with Granny (and probably Staal) he wouldn't need great hands...plus, I think he has better hands than you give him credit for. His main purpose would be to grind in the corners, plant his arse in front of the net, pound in rebounds, and...most importantly, protect Granlund. I think he's capable and I think it could work.

I like Foligno a lot, but he doesn't have great hands. He'd get some dirty goals, but pretty passes and snipes aren't going to happen very often. Look what Koivu did with most of Granny's silk passes this year, and Koivu has better hands than Foligno.

For what you're describing Nino is the better choice, just get him to plant himself around the net instead of doing whatever it was he did the 2nd half of the season.

I do think Foligno/JEE/Coyle would be a good scoring all purpose 3rd line (more of a 2B line). A healthy Kunin would be nice to have instead of Coyle, but I think that's at lest a half a season away.
10 mai 2018 à 10 h 37
Démarrer sujet
MNBassman
I like Foligno a lot, but he doesn't have great hands. He'd get some dirty goals, but pretty passes and snipes aren't going to happen very often. Look what Koivu did with most of Granny's silk passes this year, and Koivu has better hands than Foligno.

For what you're describing Nino is the better choice, just get him to plant himself around the net instead of doing whatever it was he did the 2nd half of the season.

I do think Foligno/JEE/Coyle would be a good scoring all purpose 3rd line (more of a 2B line). A healthy Kunin would be nice to have instead of Coyle, but I think that's at lest a half a season away.

The reason I don't like Nino on the opposite wing from Granlund is because I want a player with a more police-like mentality protecting Granlund. I think it would also give Granlund even more time and space out there to do what he does. I think it's at least worth experimenting with for a month or two...give it a real chance.
10 mai 2018 à 10 h 48
The reason I don't like Nino on the opposite wing from Granlund is because I want a player with a more police-like mentality protecting Granlund. I think it would also give Granlund even more time and space out there to do what he does. I think it's at least worth experimenting with for a month or two...give it a real chance.

I understand your reasoning. But Staal as a former "C" does know when to stand up for his guys, Nino does have an edge to him when he decides to use it. Seeler looks promising for standing up for players. Getting another physical d-man could serve (partially at least) the same role.

Ideally you find a Simmonds to play on the same line as Granny.
10 mai 2018 à 10 h 55
Démarrer sujet
MNBassman
I understand your reasoning. But Staal as a former "C" does know when to stand up for his guys, Nino does have an edge to him when he decides to use it. Seeler looks promising for standing up for players. Getting another physical d-man could serve (partially at least) the same role.

Ideally you find a Simmonds to play on the same line as Granny.

Nino has an edge, true...but not a police-man-like mentality. He stirs the pot and skates away. I want someone who charges in and takes over to play with Granlund.

I've been looking at trade scenarios for Simmonds for years. I'm a big fan! However, he is now too old for my purposes now.

Check out my new roster and tell me what you think: https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/686309

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Ajouter une option
Soumettre le sondage