SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

Which active players deserve to have their numbers retired today?

31 janv. 2018 à 8 h 53
Rejoint: juin 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 433
This is a hypothetical question. I tried to find active players who's numbers could deserve to be retired by a team today.
This would exclude players with the potential to get there. I'm not looking at potential, but who has already had careers worthy of the honor.

Here's my list:
Ryan Getzlaf (Ducks #15)
Corey Perry (Ducks #10)
Ryan Miller (Sabres #30)
Zdeno Chara (Bruins #33)
Patrice Bergeron (Bruins #37)
Cam Ward (Hurricanes #30)
Jonathan Toews (Blackhawks #19)
Patrick Kane (Blackhawks #88)
Duncan Keith (Blackhawks #2)
Jamie Benn (Stars #14)
Zetterberg (Red Wings #40)
Kronwall (Red Wings #55)
Roberto Luongo (Panthers #1)
Drew Doughty (Kings #8)
Eric Staal (Hurricanes #12)
Mikko Koivu (Wild #9)
Shea Weber (Predators #6)
Carey Price (Canadiens #31)
Henrik Lundqvist (Rangers #30)
Sidney Crosby (Penguins #87)
Jaromir Jagr (Penguins #68)
Joe Thornton (Sharks #19)
Patrick Marleau (Sharks #12)
Daniel Sedin (Canucks #22)
Henrik Sedin (Canucks #33)
Alexander Ovechkin (Capitals #8)

Who would you argue against? Who would you nominate to add to the list?
OngoGablogian a aimé ceci.
31 janv. 2018 à 9 h 9
Rejoint: juin 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 88
Quoting: Bflo_Soldier
This is a hypothetical question. I tried to find active players who's numbers could deserve to be retired by a team today.
This would exclude players with the potential to get there. I'm not looking at potential, but who has already had careers worthy of the honor.

Here's my list:
Ryan Getzlaf (Ducks #15)
Corey Perry (Ducks #10)
Ryan Miller (Sabres #30)
Zdeno Chara (Bruins #33)
Patrice Bergeron (Bruins #37)
Cam Ward (Hurricanes #30)
Jonathan Toews (Blackhawks #19)
Patrick Kane (Blackhawks #88)
Duncan Keith (Blackhawks #2)
Jamie Benn (Stars #14)
Zetterberg (Red Wings #40)
Kronwall (Red Wings #55)
Roberto Luongo (Panthers #1)
Drew Doughty (Kings #8)
Eric Staal (Hurricanes #12)
Mikko Koivu (Wild #9)
Shea Weber (Predators #6)
Carey Price (Canadiens #31)
Henrik Lundqvist (Rangers #30)
Sidney Crosby (Penguins #87)
Jaromir Jagr (Penguins #68)
Joe Thornton (Sharks #19)
Patrick Marleau (Sharks #12)
Daniel Sedin (Canucks #22)
Henrik Sedin (Canucks #33)
Alexander Ovechkin (Capitals #8)

Who would you argue against? Who would you nominate to add to the list?

Absolutely not on Cam Ward. Although the management seems to love him (for some ridiculous reason), he's been a better than .920 goalie once in his career, in an era where the average save percentage hung around .916. Staal, Price, Miller, and Weber, while key players, I do not believe we part of sufficient team accomplishments required to get their number retired. Kronwall really was never the dominant defenseman he was made out to be, especially not so to hang equal with Lidstrom.

Luongo didn't really play enough with the Panthers to get his number retired IMO.

The rest of the list I could at least somewhat see, although I don't really believe Koivu will have his number retired.

Also, are we giving no credit to Evgeni Malkin again? What about Anze Kopitar (who may not have the numbers quite yet, but should be well on his way)?
31 janv. 2018 à 9 h 10
Habs Fan
Mentions "j'aime": 16
Connor Mcdavid should be on the List he's already Proven himself and Where's Malkin and Backstrom?
31 janv. 2018 à 9 h 13
Habs Fan
Quoting: tadhockey
Absolutely not on Cam Ward. Although the management seems to love him (for some ridiculous reason), he's been a better than .920 goalie once in his career, in an era where the average save percentage hung around .916. Staal, Price, Miller, and Weber, while key players, I do not believe we part of sufficient team accomplishments required to get their number retired. Kronwall really was never the dominant defenseman he was made out to be, especially not so to hang equal with Lidstrom.

Luongo didn't really play enough with the Panthers to get his number retired IMO.

The rest of the list I could at least somewhat see, although I don't really believe Koivu will have his number retired.

Also, are we giving no credit to Evgeni Malkin again? What about Anze Kopitar (who may not have the numbers quite yet, but should be well on his way)?

i Think Price Should Have his Number retired.
31 janv. 2018 à 9 h 18
Quoting: dubby

I didn't realize The Storied Franchise of the Montreal Canadiens would retire someone's number who's never been the goalie when they made it out of the second round of the playoffs, and certainly hasn't come close to a Stanley Cup. Might I also suggest they retire Jose Theodore's number?
HawksFan28 a aimé ceci.
31 janv. 2018 à 9 h 20
Démarrer sujet
Modifié 31 janv. 2018 à 12 h 17
Connor Mcdavid should be on the List he's already Proven himself and Where's Malkin and Backstrom?

McDavid has 202 career points. Pump the brakes.
I had Malkin included at first, but removed him. I think his case is hindered because he's always been in Crosby's shadow, but I wouldn't argue against his inclusion.
HawksFan28 a aimé ceci.
31 janv. 2018 à 9 h 30
Habs Fan
McDavid has 202 career points. Pump the breaks.
I had Malkin included at first, but removed him. I think his case is hindered because he's always been in Crosby's shadow, but I wouldn't argue against his inclusion.

look Man For Mcdavid im talking Like in ten years but i mean your a bit Right about Malkin he has been in the shadow of Crosby since he was drafted
31 janv. 2018 à 9 h 31
Habs Fan
I didn't realize The Storied Franchise of the Montreal Canadiens would retire someone's number who's never been the goalie when they made it out of the second round of the playoffs, and certainly hasn't come close to a Stanley Cup. Might I also suggest they retire Jose Theodore's number?

If he's Gonna Put Corey Perry Then He Should But Price Because perry's worst than Price.
rmay50 a aimé ceci.
31 janv. 2018 à 9 h 52
Modifié 31 janv. 2018 à 10 h 1
If he's Gonna Put Corey Perry Then He Should But Price Because perry's worst than Price.

He might be worse right now, but the man has been to the conference finals four times and won the Stanley Cup once. He's won the same number of MVPs as Price has. He's got a 50-goal season. He's had two seasons where he was a point-per-game player. And he's been a big contributor on the team since their Stanley Cup win.

There's also two different standards for retiring numbers in Anaheim and Montreal. Every number in to be retired in Montreal Canadiens' history has won two or more Stanley Cups with the team, and has a much higher standard. Patrick Roy is the closest Price has to a comparable, and Roy was a much better goaltender in comparison to the rest of the league than Price.

Meanwhile, Teemu Selanne is the only retired number in Anaheim, and if you look at the numbers, it's not too dissimilar to Perry's, and Teemu never won an MVP with the Ducks.

Check your bias at the door.
awatt et greasy a aimé ceci.
31 janv. 2018 à 16 h 0
Démarrer sujet
Modifié 31 janv. 2018 à 16 h 39

I did a deeper dive on these guys...

Ward: Stanley Cup, Conn Smythe, World Championship, NHL All-Star game
Staal: Stanley Cup, Olympic Gold, World Championship, 4x NHL All-Star game (5x overall)
Miller: Vezina, NHL Foundation, Olympic MVP and Best Goalie and All-Star, NHL All-Star game, NHL All-Star Team, Franchise record in Games and Wins for a goalie
Weber: Messier, 2x Olympic Gold, World Championship Best Defender and All-Star, World Cup, 5x NHL All-Star game (6x overall), 4x All-Star Team
Luongo: Jennings, Olympic Gold, World Championship, World Cup, 3x NHL All-Star game (6x overall), All-Star Team (2x overall), Franchise record in Games and Wins and Shutouts and Saves for a goalie
Koivu: World Championship, NHL All-Star game, Franchise record in Games and Points
Malkin: Stanley cup (3x), Hart, Art Ross (2x), Lindsay, Calder, Conn Smythe, World Championship MVP and All-Star and Best Forward, 7x NHL All-Star game, 3x NHL All-Star Team
Kopitar: Stanley cup (2x), Selke, Lady Byng, 3x NHL All-Star game

With that analysis I'd say I'd definitely put Malkin in and take Koivu out. The rest remain in a gray area for me.
A_K a aimé ceci.
31 janv. 2018 à 16 h 11
Emotionally in 2018
Rejoint: nov. 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 3,387
Malkin and Backstrom should be added. I might take out Kronwall in addition to Koivu
31 janv. 2018 à 16 h 20
WentWughes
Mentions "j'aime": 10,233

Price doesnt deserve his jersey retired because he had one amazing season. (not to mention Montreal only made it to the 3rd round once)

Also Montreal made it to the 3rd round and had a pretty decent chance of making it to the finals until Kreider decided to run Price
tad77 a aimé ceci.
31 janv. 2018 à 16 h 31
Rejoint: mars 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 2,880
None of the ANA players should have their numbers in the rafters. Haven't gotten them to a cup yet
31 janv. 2018 à 16 h 34
Démarrer sujet
Modifié 31 janv. 2018 à 16 h 46
Quoting: krakowitz
Malkin and Backstrom should be added. I might take out Kronwall in addition to Koivu

Kronwall: Stanley Cup, Olympic Gold, World Championsip Win and MVP and Best Defender and All-Star
Backstrom: 2x World Championship, All-Star game

Backstrom definitely does not make it yet.
31 janv. 2018 à 16 h 51
Démarrer sujet

Price was already on my original list, but since there seems to be discussion about it:
Hart, Vezina, Jennings, Lindsay, Olympic Gold and Best Goalie, 6x All-Star game, All-Star Team
31 janv. 2018 à 17 h 14
Emotionally in 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 3,387
Kronwall: Stanley Cup, Olympic Gold, World Championsip Win and MVP and Best Defender and All-Star
Backstrom: 2x World Championship, All-Star game

Backstrom definitely does not make it yet.

Backstrom is nearly a point-per game in his career, and is the franchise leader in assists. Also fourth in points. The man's number will be retired.

All of Kronwall's accomplishments listed are international and/or team-based, except the All-Star point. That isn't even true. Yeah, Stanley Cups are nice. But Chris Kunitz won Cups with the Penguins, and nobody is calling for his number to be retired. The individual has to do something exceptional with the team to have their number retired, and Kronwall simply hasn't done that.
31 janv. 2018 à 17 h 25
Below Market Value
Rejoint: nov. 2015
Mentions "j'aime": 1,324
These arguments are starting to sound like HOF arguments (even though some teams have that requirement to be in the rafters). It's not necessarily about the hardware a player brought in (other than the Stanley Cup), but more about what the player did for the team. Koivu isn't going to turn any heads with his hardware or his stats, but the fact that he'll captain the team for 10+ seasons and retire as the franchise leader in games and points shows that he should definitely have his number retired.

Kopitar also should get his number retired in LA. He'll finish with at least the 2nd most games played (depending on if he plays longer than Brown), and could very well finish third in points, only behind Robitaille and Dionne.

Malkin will get his retired, no question. Same with Backstrom.
31 janv. 2018 à 17 h 35
Rejoint: févr. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 208
Quoting: phillyjabroni
None of the ANA players should have their numbers in the rafters. Haven't gotten them to a cup yet

So we are just going to ignore the cup they got in 07 then?
greasy a aimé ceci.
31 janv. 2018 à 17 h 39
Rejoint: mars 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 2,880
Quoting: awatt
So we are just going to ignore the cup they got in 07 then?

Damn. I completely forgot that they were around then.

I'll rephrase and say they never have lead a team to a cup. In 07, ANA had Teemu, Pronger, the Niedermayers. Both Perry and Getzlaf were 21 when they won the cup. 11 years later and have nothing to show for it.
31 janv. 2018 à 18 h 35
Rejoint: févr. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 208
Quoting: phillyjabroni
Damn. I completely forgot that they were around then.

I'll rephrase and say they never have lead a team to a cup. In 07, ANA had Teemu, Pronger, the Niedermayers. Both Perry and Getzlaf were 21 when they won the cup. 11 years later and have nothing to show for it.

That line of Perry, Getzlaf, and Penner had a big part in them winning the cup. Yes they were kids but I wouldn't say they didn't help lead the team.

Now, I see what you're saying, they haven't led the team by themselves to win the cup, then yes you are right, they've just led them to 5 straight division titles while constantly falling short in the playoffs. More than frustrating being a fan and watching it constantly happen.
31 janv. 2018 à 22 h 43
V3 Canucks GM, BOG
Rejoint: mai 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 653
My list would be something like this, I'm probably being a bit generous for a few:

Ryan Getzlaf, Anaheim
Corey Perry, Anaheim
Ryan Miller, Buffalo
Zdeno Chara, Boston
Patrice Bergeron, Boston
Erik Staal, Carolina
Jonathan Toews, Chicago
Patrick Kane, Chicago
Duncan Keith, Chicago
Brent Seabrook, Chicago
Rick Nash, Columbus
Jamie Benn, Dallas
Henrik Zetterberg, Detroit
Drew Doughty, Los Angeles
Anze Kopitar, Los Angeles
Dustin Brown, Los Angeles
Jonathan Quick, Los Angeles
Mikko Koivu, Minnesota
John Tavares, Islanders
Henrik Lundqvist, Rangers
Claude Giroux, Philadelphia
Sidney Crosby, Pittsburgh
Jaromir Jagr, Pittsburgh
Evgeni Malkin, Pittsburgh
Joe Thornton, San Jose
Patrick Marleau, San Jose
Joe Pavelski, San Jose
Steven Stamkos, Tampa Bay
Henrik Sedin, Vancouver
Daniel Sedin, Vancouver
Roberto Luongo, Vancouver
Alexander Ovechkin, Washington
Niklas Backstrom, Washington
1 févr. 2018 à 8 h 52
Démarrer sujet
Getzlaf: Stanley Cup, 2x Olympic Gold, World Cup, 3x All-Star game, All-Star Team, Franchise record in assists
Perry: Stanley Cup, Hart, Richard, 2x Olympic Gold, World Championship, World Cup, 4x All-Star game, 2x All-Star Team
2 févr. 2018 à 6 h 41
Rejoint: mai 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 4,562
Modifié 2 févr. 2018 à 7 h 39
Not really looking at any other teams because I think retiring a number is more than just points, but for Boston I'd throw Rask's name into the ring...

Rank among Bruins Goalies All-Time
GP - 4th (only 41 shy of leader)
Wins - 4th (only 29 shy of leader
Saves - 1st
SV% - 1st
GAA - 2nd
SO - 2nd (34 behind leader)
Pts - 2nd (1 behind leader)

Rask also has a Vezina to his name and an Olympic bronze. He's been in the B's organization since 2005 and could very well play his entire career in Boston and go down as the best Bruins goalie of all-time. Does a lot for the local communities as well as larger charities, especially when it comes to young children with illnesses.
2 févr. 2018 à 8 h 44
Quoting: ON3M4N
Not really looking at any other teams because I think retiring a number is more than just points, but for Boston I'd throw Rask's name into the ring...

Saves - 1st
SV% - 1st
GAA - 2nd

Rask also has a Vezina to his name and an Olympic bronze. He's been in the B's organization since 2005 and could very well play his entire career in Boston and go down as the best Bruins goalie of all-time. Does a lot for the local communities as well as larger charities, especially when it comes to young children with illnesses.

He will almost certainly pass the GP and Wins mark, but I don't know if he gets his number retired unless he wins a Stanley Cup (or two). He doesn't necessarily have to pull a Tim Thomas and carry the team, but he does need to eventually win the thing. 2013 was a great run, but the stink of 2010 still exists.

He's also only won a single Vezina, and hasn't been a finalist in any other year (he was top-5 one other time, in 2012-13). He is absolutely beloved, but he's gotta add a little more to the resume for me.
2 févr. 2018 à 8 h 45
Démarrer sujet
Quoting: ON3M4N

Saves - 1st
SV% - 1st
GAA - 2nd

I like the idea of people posting the active players they think warrant THEIR OWN TEAM retiring their numbers. Since tribute is largely geared towards the specific fanbase involved, they're probably best situated to comment on it.

People should post THEIR favorite team and the active players who's numbers they think would be retired today, if it were possible.

For me; I think Miller has had a career in Buffalo worthy of having his #30 retired by Sabres. No other active player is deserving at this time from the organization..
DoctorBreakfast et ON3M4N a aimé ceci.

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Ajouter une option
Soumettre le sondage